Updates to forum images

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Updates to forum images

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

During the past few days, you may of noticed a move cursor appearing on some of the images in the forums. This cursor is part of a new light-box code (thanks to White tiger for suggestion), that expands images without leaving the page. You can then click on the image to get rid of it.

Picture

Today, I have changed some code to stop images overflowing the forum width. This was done in the past by a scroll-bar (which wasnt the best way to view images). But now the images are rescaled (so they fit the page)... take this post for example:

- Teladi Equipment Docks,

You will see that suzukigsxr has posted a image that fits the space.. however the image is actually 1920x1080! So its been rescaled to fit the page width (no scrollbar). However my new lightbox code is installed, so you can simply click on the image to see original 1920x1080 image, and a second time to get rid of it. So not only fits better, but easier to view.

I hope the new image updates help.. I personally think it makes everything 'fit' better now (and large image posting should be much better supported).

ps. I have also changed Blog images, so now they can be up-to 1280x720, and also uses the lightbox code.

ps2. I know my lightbox code can be a bit demanding, has it rescales large images, fades the background etc. However systems with enough cpu power, it should look better than just popping up. Ammo uses CCS3 with its lightbox, which isnt supported in IE9 yet.. maybe in IE10.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

Very nice indeed. It's good to not have to worry about scaling images down to a respectable size before posting them anymore. If I had to make an adjustment I'd bump up the expansion speed a bit. At two and a bit seconds, it's too leisurely for my taste, and needs to have a bit more of a pop.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

thanks m8, yeah now you dont need to worry about the image size any-more.

Okay, ive doubled the speed. Hopefully that should be okay now? if I make the animation too fast, then I might as well just done a pop-up.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Yep, sorted. Question: How will this affect those images that are both too large to fit, and also act as hyperlinks to elsewhere?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Glad I got the speed better, I did want to leave some kind-of anim, as I spent longer doing it.

as for the images types. There are a few different types noticed by my parser. If the image has a hyperlink, then the image is rescalled to fit the forum. I belive that the hyperlink could go to the larger version (on another site).. however, it could even link to a collection, video etc.. ie. hyperlink images could go to anywhere.

However.. for those who want to simply bung a picture in a post, simply post the image on the post. My code will rescale it to fit the forum page, then add my lightbox code, so to make it clickable (expandable). This is why ive gave them different cursors: the pointer/hand for hyperlink ones (same as links), and the move cursor for my lightbox version. images are not rescalled if they are smaller than the forum area, only if they are bigger.

So basically both ways are supported, however both ways the images should 'fit' the page without over-flowing or scroll-bars.

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

So large images will still be scaled to fit the forum size, but the lightbox feature won't be applied if there's already a hyperlink on the image?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

All images, over the width of the forum will be rescaled to fit. If the image is smaller, then the image wont be stretched or changed. Lightbox will only be applied to those without [url=] tags surrounding them.

If surrounded with [url=], then the image could be a link to page, download, the big image (sometimes sites dont like direct linking to images) or something else. For example: Hyperlink image could be used for a download button, or a gallery (they may just want to put a preview image).

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Righto, I understand. One important result of this is that linking directly from the steam cloud is reasonable now. As such, I've put an announcement on the steam group with the steps to do so.

*Edit
Whoops, brain fart. Changed to [img] tags

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Good idea letting people know in the steam group, I didnt know about steam having shareable pictures. The only thing however.... is that the text is slightly wrong announcement. You need to surround images with [img] tag, not [url]. Other than that, good idea Smile

ps. lightbox support has been added to forum previews.

You need to log-in to post here.