Reading This Might Cause Hunger Pains In Some...

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Reading This Might Cause Hunger Pains In Some...

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

**Warning or Notice**
I was standing up too long (cooking) and my back is acting up--so I have a full belly and I'm medicated and thinking.
Be warned ahead of time.

**Second Warning and Notice**
This concerns the consumption of Pork/Pork product.
If this offends anyone on a Religious or Ethnic basics, please do not read.
It is not my intention to offend anyone with this post.

Bacon!!! in the U.S.
I just finished cooking breakfast.
Hugh stack of pancakes, a big skillet of home fries, and two pounds of bacon (strip bacon, not that round stuff our dear cousins from the North keep trying to sneak across the border).
(This meal was for just 3 people...and I only do it once every 2 or 3 months.)
One plate each person for a stack of plate-sized pancakes and a second plate for scoops of potatoes with the bacon stacked like firewood.

My mind wondered about how I could use the remaining bacon, if there was any--which there wasn't.
Bacon is like garlic to me---it can be added to just about every meal I cook.

If I go out for breakfast I never order bacon as a side.
Why do it? They only give you like 3 strips of the stuff. That's just a tease and barely enough to put on a cheeseburger.

I remember breakfast with the family, and then with friends.
Bacon was placed in the center of the table like a dinner main course. Piled so high on a platter that moving the wrong piece would cause an avalanche.

So I was thinking while I was cooking...is (strip) bacon this notorious outside the U.S.?

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by notorious, but here in jolly ole England the de facto form for bacon is in slices, or as we say, rashers. To be frank it's more common over here than it is over there. After all, it is one of the main components in a Full English Breakfast, and no fridge is fully stocked without it.

Btw if you haven't yet tried it, I'd recommend having a go at making candied bacon. If you get it just right it's amazing.

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I bookmarked that recipe. Thanks allot!
Sounds awesome and real easy. I will be trying it soon...like maybe this week Wink

Bacon always had is 'own place' in the frig when I was a kid.
And it definitely has it's 'own place' now that I have my own frig.

Unfortunately breakfast isn't what it used to be. Seems to come out of a box, a micro-wave, or from under a heat lamp any more. With my post-surgical downtime, I've been re-discovering it again.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Bacon is also used in Bacon butties, and Bacon Sandwiches, here in the UK.

Seems to come out of a box, a micro-wave, or from under a heat lamp any more.
- cjm3fl

Well, in fairless sometimes the microwave can do a okay job, others it can be well... *beep* Smile But def. the microwave is convenient way of cooking food. For one, or quickness.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm thinking about using that recipe Seygantte posted for BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato) sandwich later this week.
I think it will be really good with a bit of Thousand Island or French dressing!

Roguey, nothing against the microwave.
It's the fastest way for making Baked Potatoes and heating up left-overs, a whole bunch of great uses!
I just poked a stick at them to comment on how breakfast seems to be going out of fashion.

When I was a kid, 6 days a week breakfast came out of box.
But we always did Sunday breakfast as a family. This was the meal were we all caught up with each others' lives.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Ah I know what you mean, people are so busy with things they dont often sit down to dinner with everyone else (or just on rare days). Like you said, things like the Microwave havnt helped, has people can bung something in quickly and go off somewhere else.

You need to log-in to post here.