Hurricane Isaac -- Let It Begin !!!

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Hurricane Isaac -- Let It Begin !!!

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

Sunday, August 26, 2012--1pm local
We've been under Tropical Storm warnings for a while where I live---Saint Petersburg, FL. for this soon-to-be hurricane.

About 2 hours ago the cloud-cover moved in. I probably won't see the sun until sometime Tuesday.
It's breezy outside but nothing 'harsh' yet.

The first feeder-band of light rain just moved in. Most of it ain't hitting the ground but the "green" is covering most of the bay area.
Looks like the heavier, constant rain will move over in about 4 to 6 hours.
All of South Florida is getting soaked.

Looking at about 48 hours of clouds, wind, and rain where I am.

Let it begin!!!

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Geese last I heard it was still just a tropical storm. I kinda hope we get a late hurricane this year. Need some snow this winter! Last time we got a decent snow was from a hurricane, something like 4 feet of the wet heavy stuff where I was living at the time (West Virginia).

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

wow, some heavy going weather - we dont normally get anything like that here.. even if so, it very very mild. Well hopefully nothing too bad happens. good luck.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

This storm is being stubborn, like many of them tend to be.
It was supposed to be a hurricane by mid-day yesterday, yet it's still weak enough to be called a tropical-storm.
It seemed to make a little jog to the west down south off the coast of Fort Myers. Slightly reducing the rains and wind my area has experienced, so far.

NOW, it seems it may visit New Orleans, as a category 1 or 2 hurricane on the 7th-year anniversary of when Hurricane Katrina devastated that city, and nearly 100 miles surrounding that area.

In my OP I thought I wouldn't see the sun for a few days. Yesterday the clouds were continuous.
Presently, I'm seeing that the sun has peeked out for a little bit.

We were told we might see 6 to 8 inches of rain. So far I think, locally, there has only be an 1---maybe a little more.

While I was not expecting any more then some inconveniences out of Isaac, I'm now becoming concerned with the Northern Gulf Coast areas, especially the New Orleans.
This storm is expected to slow down and strengthen before it 'hits'. Both are not good things for new Orleans.

The storm is well west of my area, but still south...so the winds and rain will continue locally.
But the 'concerns' have lessened.

Let's keep an eye on this thing and keep those who will feel it's full force in our thoughts.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I guess there isnt really much anyone can do or say about these things? I guess you guys have to let it hit and see what damage its done after? I guess its a very nervous time for everyone around there.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

if your interested in hurricanes here is a good program I watched the other day. Its about hurricane Katrina and what went wrong to cause the flooding.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/storm-that-drowned-city.html

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

It's now officially a hurricane.
Forecast has it hitting the day after Katrina's 7th anniversary and will (forecasted) only be a Cat 1.
Let's hope this stays as it won't be nearly as bad

I'm watching that program you linked, Sinxar.
I've seem many shows about both Katrina and Andrew, but this is one I haven't yet.
Thanks for this link and the 'filler of time as I build new Complexes' Beer

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I just tried that video and got an error: not available. Oh well.

Lets hope this stays as it wont be nearly as bad
- cjm3fl

agreed!

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Really boss!
I didn't have any problems yesterday and I just checked it again...came up fine.
And I'm using Firefox.

BTW - I didn't get any Complexes built yesterday while I watch it, or afterwards. Just wasn't in the mood.

There have been a couple of things that have happened during my lifetime that affected me deeply. And they still touch me every time I am reminded of them.
I was in awe and was completely surprised by the total devastation left after Hurricane Andrew struck 20 years ago, the shock and anger of the events of 9-11, the sorrow I felt at the loss of 2 of the Space Shuttles.

But I was, and still am, horrified at those shots of the bodies of American citizens floating in flooded streets of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina...and that they were left behind to be retrieved later.
I know from my time in the Coast Guard that when those bodies were found, the first-responders were there to rescue those that had survived, and they needed to be helped first. That was the most important thing right then, the survivors. But still...

Maybe there's a touch of shame too that with so much time before it hit, over 1800 lives were lost.
An earthquake strikes with no warning. Tornadoes reach down with only minutes, or seconds, of notice.
But it was known for days that Katrina could hit the New Orleans area.

Any time a hurricane is heading towards that city, I fear seeing more of the same kinds of videos.
I have no personal connection to New Orleans and I've never been there.

Thankfully it was only a Cat 1 and while there was damage--there wasn't the same kind of devastation.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I just tried that video and got an error: not available.
- Roguey

Thats weird. Are you using any type of ad block? It wouldn't let me watch some of the shows until i disabled it for PBS. If not, perhaps it knows where you live. Do you guys have a PBS station over there?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I reckon its to do with my location - England. There is no PBS station/channel in the UK as far as I know of, so I guess the video is unavailable.

I think most of them events shock the whole world; some of them you think would only happen in a movie. I would add Japan's 2012 tsunami to that list - as they nearly lost the Nuclear reactors because of that.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

The US media seems to be a lot more "protective" then the media's of many other countries.
What I saw of the devastation from the Japanese earthquake/tsunami seems to be mild compared to what was shown in other countries, like where you live Roguey.

I think that is one of the things that added to the shock from Katrina..that the bodies were shown on US television. At least at first, then they stopped showing stuff like that.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well its hard to know what you saw and how it compares of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami from news reports. Although we get more or less get to see how areas have been effected, bodies being taken out etc. So I guess we get to see a little more - not that its a good thing to see, or happen. In the UK we dont really have extreme weather - if we do its very uncommon. Maybe thats why the news here shows that, so to make sure people here know how bad these disasters are (shock people)! However in places like the US etc. they dont need to see that, as they already know what its like.

You need to log-in to post here.