Septemeber 2012 usage

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Septemeber 2012 usage

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

For some strange reason the bandwidth usage on the site shot-up between the 19-20th, this month. So much has gone that at the site will be off-line in the next few days. I have connected the hoster to find out why, if this was a attack or so.

I just wanted to let you know why. If it does happen, the site should return back 1st Oct (when the counter is reset). Im guess the site will be down for a week atm Cry

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Is the bandwidth limit very low or what? I hope that we won't reach this point so soon.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hey m8, well ive been talking to the host and think maybe a attacker. Whoever it was used 20-25 times the daily usage, for two days. They basically ate up 17gb+, well over half my bandwidth gone in two days. Hopefully the hoster will increase the bandwidth, so to keep the site running for the rest of the month. I will keep more of en eye on this site, and will report any increases to them much quicker. Hopefully catch them in the act.

Why do people need to do this? Go nuts

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I think they're bots and not actual people, they were trying to cross our great wall but they couldn't. I think we should have security captcha(s) on the downloads sections of the site as well.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Some what good news: the hoster has agreed to add some extra bandwidth this month. So it should be enough to keep the site running for the rest of the month. If there is any down time it shouldnt be too long.

as for the attack, it wasnt to do with downloads (I think). To be honest I dont really have a clue what they did, however it was a targeted attack to waste resources from the site. Something that most people wouldnt have a clue on doing.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Some what good news: the hoster has agreed to add some extra bandwidth this month. So it should be enough to keep the site running for the rest of the month. If there is any down time it shouldnt be too long.
- Roguey

Glad to hear that.
as for the attack, it wasnt to do with downloads (I think). To be honest I dont really have a clue what they did, however it was a targeted attack to waste resources from the site. Something that most people wouldnt have a clue on doing.
- Roguey

Yeah sometimes we can't tell, but the downloads sections might be effected, since we don't have a system that tells were exactly the most bandwidth usage, if I'm right as you probably know better. Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I would say it was an attack because the normal trackers did not report any more visitors, nor page-views: what you would expect if a load of bandwidth went. The hoster did say it happens from time to time unfortently on the web. We had all manner of stuff: spam-bots, bad letters in input boxes, people trying to break the site etc.

You need to log-in to post here.