Engineering & Science Society

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Engineering & Science Society

ConCorDian

ConCorDian avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

eh up everyone. sorry i havnt been around as of late ive been realy busy with RL commitments at the moment. one of which is what im here to offer.

for the past year i have been helping run a new engineering and science society (the Kilmarnock Engineering and Science Society or KESS for short) and what we are looking at doing in the new year is beginning to record our lectures that is given for a new Youtube chanel we are going to create. is there anyone here who thinks they might be interested in such a thing being made available to the forum members here?

to give a brief idea of what we have done lectures wise so far we have had the likes of:

Prof Martin Hendry who gave a lecture on the relativly new field of Gravitational Wave Astronomy

Dr Dan Kirkwood who gave a lecture on Metalurgy and on many of the new materials that are being made by man.

Prof Colin McInnes who gave a lecture on Advanced Space Concepts

the first lecture we are hoping to record and post is going to be by Dr Victoria Martin who will be talking to us about her work with CERN for the search of the Higgs Boson.

and if things go well with that one (and we get everything in place in time for that one) we hope to conclude this season with Prof Jason Reese who will talk about Molecular Engineering and then Dr Jim Wood who will end our season with Bioinspiration and Engineering.

for all these are all highly educated individuals the lectures arnt directed at their peers but at people who have a genuine interest in Science and Engineering and therefore are at a level to let the average person gain a rudamentary understanding of what these areas of research and work do. so you wont need a PHd in Maths and Physics to understand this, just the willingness to listen and learn what they tell us.

if you have any questions feel free to ask, im putting up a poll to see about numbers from the forum here who might be interested in watching lectures such as this. and from everyone in KESS have a Merry Christmas and a Happy (not too drunk) New Year!!

ive setup a poll on the EGOSOFT off topic forms HERE so drop over if youd like to show your support.

Douglas

tho' we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
- Tennyson
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Sounds intresting, although I dont think I would understand half of it Smile
I guess im more of a gamer than a scientist Smile

caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Sounds intresting, although I dont think I would understand half of it Smile
- Roguey
I guess im more of a gamer than a scientist Smile
- Roguey

I am both! :p I research and devlop weapons. So all of this would and does sound intresting. May be we would beable to ask questions? To these people, may be they could help figure out what my crew cant Wink.

A question that has puzzled me for my whole 24 years of life. If a word is in the dictonary is mispelled how do we know?

You need to log-in to post here.