New PC! Treating myself...

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » New PC! Treating myself...

MajorStewie

MajorStewie avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 11 years ago.

That's a high speed, low power processor for notebooks.
- bozo64r

its for everything http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)#Expected_features
it looks like they want to put these processors into tablets.

i heard that the GTU3 can replace the need to buy certain graphic cards if you have the ram to support it - aahh nvm :P

possibly like the card you got

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 11 years ago.

That sort of think has apparently been out for ages, I guess this just takes it to the 'i7' level.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

When do you think ure have it all together?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm gonna pay for it over time, I have so far the OS, the case, keyboard, mouse. It's my 18th Birthday on tuesday so I will use some of the money from that to purchase the Motherboard, Hard drive and Memory. The last thing I buy will be the graphics card. It will probably be operational within a few weeks, but up the gaming standard with the gfx probably beginning of Feb when i get paid.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

So I guess your looking around 4-6 weeks before you get it all up and running. Should be good when you do; has it will be a lot better than that ebay jobby which you first suggested Smile

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Maybe, the eBay one was from a company that does quite good PCs though, check them out, https://www.vibox.co.uk/

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hmm.. they seem to like overclocking stuff.. I did think about overclocking mine but I figured it wasnt worth it - after-al most things run fine without the added thought your shortening the cpu life down. Is 3.9Ghz vs 4.5Ghz really noticeable? Its not like CPU's now dont over-clock themselves a little nowadays.

MajorStewie

MajorStewie avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 11 years ago.

i oc my CPU myself only thing you need to worry about is what is safe voltages (don't want a burnt out CPU :P) and your temperatures (temps is what limits your OC) (temps for running my CPU at %100 for several hours was 70C(and did not crash(nice 1 GHz OC))) so you need to get a good CPU cooler. the best ones are heatsinks at the lower prices VS water coolers i heard.

and do research on how others OC with your motherboard

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I probably will not over-clock mine custom built PC. But on further reading, Over Clocking the bulldozer from 3.6GHz to 4GHz is the 'safe zone' then over-clocking it more got to the over heating phase.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well I did overclocked my older system (week after building - that was over 6 years ago), by default it was 2 x 1.8Ghz. I wanted it at 2 x 2.4ghz (at the time they sold it at 2.4ghz but like £400 vs £180). I did a lot of reading and it turned out that I had the 2.4Ghz cpu (looked up serial code) but the multiplier had be limited back internally. So I upped the FSB to 240, put a memory divider on (so the memory ran at 200Mhz x 2, DDR1) and even had lower voltage than stock. It only ever ran slightly hotter than stock at 1.8Ghz due to its under-volting. This system is still running fine now at 2.4Ghz. So a 33% o/c improvement (on each core).

However with new series of cpus is there any need to o/c now? I upgraded to a 2600k so I could overclock later (the K is the unlocked multiplier).. however it runs everything fine. Benchmarks are great at first, seeing a few more marks after o/c however if you play games on it more, then are these extra marks really going to make a lot of difference? So I played it safe with it.. for now.

With the modern cpu's they do overclocking of themselves. I found if I manually set to 3.5Ghz, then all cores only run at 3.5Ghz max.. however if I leave the chip to do it, then it can overclock itself up-to 3.9Ghz depending on how many cores are used (more cores used, lower o/c).

However, I think its gone of the days where we saw 20-40% increase from overclocking (unless you go extreme), most of the manufacturers have already jumped on the wagon.. even gfx cards (such as nVidia Keepler's) overclocking themselves too. So much easier buy a gfx already o/c - this is were the biggest gains from o/c is felt in gaming.

jack775544

jack775544 avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

However, I think its gone of the days where we saw 20-40% increase from overclocking
- Roguey

I actually disagree with this, quiet a few of the new Intel CPU's can get to insane overclocks. I have heard people getting their 2600k up to 4.5GHz stable on a good air cooler, and I am fairly sure that I have read somewhere that they can go to about 5GHz on water cooling. I don't know if ou would consider either of those a bit extreme though Wink

Also the new generation of AMD CPU's has taken the highest overclock title from Intels Celeron http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-AMD-Vishera-8-Core-CPU-Overclocking-Record-8-37-GHz-307950.shtml

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Wow, 8.37Ghz on a AMD FX-8350 - although shame only 2 cores were enabled. I bet it loss on a lot of other tests, as a Intel 4/6 core would probably beat it on everything just down to the amount of cores (with no special cooling, just a standard fan). However thats a bit extreme!

as for o/c a modern cpu - yea, you can get a bit out of it. ie. a 2600k at 4/4.5Ghz from 3.4/3.5Ghz but does it really make a lot of different if youre playing a game? It gets some-what confusing with a i5/7 2600k as they can o/c one core up-to 3.9Ghz anyway. if youre playing a game, there maybe a single thread that the game is waiting for (depends on the situation). I just mean its not so clear cut; cpu's used to run at set speed, however with cpu's/gfx o/c themselves its sometimes best to leave them too it unless you really need that extra speed.

I used to get a bit tied up with benchmarks/figures however after a short-while its game you wanna play.

jack775544

jack775544 avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

Personally I don't overclock anyway (I like my warranty Smile ). I just wanted to show that overclocking can actually be done better than ever before.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well now it's done, the PC is ready to go. The only thing missing is a Graphics Card, but i'll get that on PayDay :P

My budget for a GFX Card is £150, ideas are welcome!

I will eventually get an SSD, (probably a 160GB just for my OS and a few games I want to be super fast)

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

On congratulations; what did you end up with?

as for gfx card; id just say get the best one such as GTX650/660/670 (Kepler Series), as I dont know the ATi cards very well myself. I just normally stick with nVidia.

« 1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.