New PC! Treating myself...

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » New PC! Treating myself...

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 11 years ago.

Check this beast out... my next purchase.
Epic beast pf a PC

It does not come with an OS, but I just bought Windows 8 so i'm sorted!

I will probably get another Graphics card for it, not sure yet though,

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Cool. when does it arrive?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Looks good to me regarding the amount of money. I mean if you paying a lot more, then you would expect more. Intel chips are better due to how they been designed, something about sharing something I think internally. However Intel setups are more expensive. The Bulldozer chip gets harsh comments about it, mainly as its like half the performance of its rival core number. ie. a Bulldozer with 4 cores, is more like a Intel I5/7 with 2 cores. So dont get fooled by AMD's marketing.

16Gb maybe over the top atm, but memory is always useful (since Win7,+ uses it to cache stuff). So £334 for a fully built system, just requiring windows isnt too bad at all. I think Sinxar was being a bit harsh, maybe if all had a ton of money to spend however people are in different situations with different finance states. The main thing is that your happy with the pc.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

The case will prolly need to be replaced when a real gfx card is added, perhaps the PSU also. The thing is the guy used the absolute lowest quality and lowest tier parts possible and slapped it in a case with no airflow.

Its people like that who give private/small system builders a bad name. At the current exchange rate, that is a $540 PC. But the parts only cost about $250. Sorry but I can help but feel like I should say something.

Here is the most recent Toms $500 Gaming PC - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-do-it-yourself-computer,3364.html It has an upgrade path and doesn't scream gimmicks like - 16GB of RAM you will never use!, or 1 TB storage drive that will take ages to load/save your documents!

Its quite obvious he put the gimmicks above all else just so he could make those little images that say 16GB RAM and 1 TB HDD to attract people who don't know any better.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

The case will prolly need to be replaced when a real gfx card is added, perhaps the PSU also. The thing is the guy used the absolute lowest quality and lowest tier parts possible and slapped it in a case with no airflow.
- Sinxar

Surely the case should be okay? never known one to not fit a gfx card in unless its a compact unit, although that case doesnt not look like that. However your right about the PSU: 450watt could be a little on the small side if you bung a bigger gfx in there later - although what will you do with the old gfx card?

doesnt scream gimmicks like - 16GB of RAM you will never use!, or 1 TB storage drive that will take ages to load/save your documents!
- Sinxar

I put 16Gb into my I7, has in my previous system it cut down its life-time as only half filled the mb with its max (2Gb DDR1 rather than 4Gb). However 4Gb was a lot back then, but would of helped in the long-run. Sure I havnt found anything requiring it yet, but its still nice to have. However (maybe as sinxar said) it might be nice if money was put into the cpu/mb/gfx first, before whacking the memory up (great if you got some spare money after).

or 1 TB storage drive that will take ages to load/save your documents!
- Sinxar

hmm.. You must write some big documents :p, as last time I checked a standard hdd could write/read around 40mb+/sec. I have 4TB (2 x 2Tb) however one of the drives (2TB) is used as a data store. At the time flash drives are too costly, and lack the size of a hdd. He maybe needing a big HDD for storing a lot of stuff like pictures, HD Videos (1080p does half cut up space)?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

The case doesn't have any airflow. So with a normal gfx card it will most likely overheat since there is only one fan spot in there that works. The front fan mounts are sealed off by the front panel. source: http://www.mods-n-clocks.co.uk/?p=708&all=1

Sadly it doesn't actually say what HDD specifically is used. Based of the specs given and correcting the non-existent specs (lol) it appears to be this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304 its available in other places but newegg is the only one with reviews, tech sites don't seem to want to touch it. There are other sellers of this drive and thats where he copied the description and image from, making it an easy find with google.

Sure its alright for normal usage like watching vids/listening to music and backups. But its supposed to be a gaming PC. Why put a cheap, slow 1 TB in there for any reason other than to trick people into thinking its some type of epic win HDD. If I was building that and had to choose, I would put a 128GB SSD ($94 USD) and keep my old HDD (500GB) as backup/storage. But I understand not everybody has a technical understanding of why somebody would do that. He should have just put a Caviar Black 2tb in there and advertised that. But why didn't he, it has bigger numbers for the masses to drool over? Profits. He would rather drop a big, slow, failure prone HDD in it without any warranty. Its a smart move TBH as he isn't responsible for it after the sale. If you read the fine print you get charged for everything if you need support.

Surely it will work fine for a while. But like you said:

maybe if all had a ton of money to spend however people are in different situations with different finance states.

Thats all the more reason to get the best possible for the amount of money spent.

I'm sorry for the mostly pointless rant but that ebay page is infuriating.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

The case doesnt have any airflow. So with a normal gfx card it will most likely overheat since there is only one fan spot in there that works. The front fan mounts are sealed off by the front panel. source: http://www.mods-n-clocks.co.uk/?p=708&all=1
- Sinxar

Geez thats silly with the front fans - why the heck didnt they put some slots there?! as for the other fans, I see you get the side one, however why the heck didnt they include a rear 120mm fan? I guess you could always add one later - which would improve things a lot more. I guess with a rear fan installed, you get input fan (from the side) then exhast with the rear, so it should be okay. However silly you got to add that fan, it should come with it! Although the poor HDD's will suffer some-what with no input air from the front.

Sure its alright for normal usage like watching vids/listening to music and backups. But its supposed to be a gaming PC. Why put a cheap, slow 1 TB in there for any reason other than to trick people into thinking its some type of epic win HDD.
- Sinxar

I guess a 1TB on the stat list looks better than 500Gb. Myself went for a WD Black 2TB (main drive) and a WD Green for my data drive. I know HDD tech is getting old now, so I went for fastest I could see there. So much better if you can build your own - as you can select exactly which parts to buy.

I actually used Novatech to buy my whole new pc last year and built it myself. If you havnt brought it yet, id suggest just looking at them to see what they do (yea, they probably more expensive but they probably do much better machines). If you already got the PC then have some fun Smile

I'm sorry for the mostly pointless rant but that ebay page is infuriating.
- Sinxar

Probably cos both of us could build you a much better pc.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Don't hold back if you have something to say Smile I did not know about the Bulldozer getting bad comments,

Airflow ain't an issue, I bought another case cause I did not like the one it came with. It's a full size and will easily support at 12" graphics card.

When it comes to storage the 1TB will be for games and that, i have a spare 1TB somewhere so I am going to use RAID 1 on whatever PC I get, also I am thinking of getting a 60GB SSD for the OS. As SSDs are much faster.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I did look at SSD myself; and at the time they wasnt very good value for money (maybe thats changed since then). Hopefully we see them as HDD replacements (with 1TB of space, rather just 60, 80gb). I do feel the HDD is kindof out-stay its welcome in the PC world, its a old piece of tech.

Dont hold back if you have something to say Smile I did not know about the Bulldozer getting bad comments,
- bozo64r

The Bulldozer generally gets bad comments. The Bulldozer can not perform anywhere near an Intel and usually a 8-Core Bulldozer gets beaten by quad-core Intel chip. However AMD systems are cheaper than Intels. However AMD marketing of them suggest otherwise, which is really taking the *beep*.

Airflow aint an issue, I bought another case cause I did not like the one it came with. Its a full size and will easily support at 12" graphics card.
- bozo64r

If youre moving cases, then why dont you just buy the parts and build a system yourself? A lot of companies offer a barebone deal, which would get you an motherboard, cpu and memory with some money off. An 8gb, quad core, with motherboard would get you started. Whack a GFX (like a 650/660/670 Kepler, sorry only know nVidia cards - maybe sinxar knows ATi cards better) and your be sorted for awhile.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I did a price up for the bits, it just turned out more expensive.

SSDs are too expensive to replace HDDs at the moment,
You can get a 4TB HDD for £160.
Whilst for the same price you can only get about 500GB on SSD. I know which i would have :P

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well it can be more we expensive although usually the reason is that you put in the exact parts you want and don't cheap out on things like the motherboard, PSU etc. Often system builders can cheap out on these things, and go for more impressive stats like memory or HDD size. I personally always want to build my own, more fun too Smile

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I will have to look into it all again, I put together a PC i was going to build this is what I got; (please post any suggestions)

Mother Board~
http://www.ebuyer.com/351614-gigabyte-ga-b75m-d3h-socket-1155-vga-dvi-hdmi-8-channel-audio-matx-motherboard-ga-b75m-d3h

Processor
http://www.ebuyer.com/254978-intel-core-i3-2120-3-3ghz-socket-1155-3mb-l3-cache-retail-boxed-bx80623i32120
Memory – Bundle with Board (8GB DDR3)
Power Supply
http://www.ebuyer.com/191847-powercool-650w-modular-psu-80-dual-12v-v2-2-high-efficiency-psupc650aubam

Heat sink / Fan
http://www.ebuyer.com/176157-arctic-cooling-freezer-7-pro-rev-2-socket-775-1156-1155-1366-ac-frz-7pr2
Graphics Card -
http://www.ebuyer.com/320045-powercolor-hd-4850-1gb-gddr5-vga-dvi-hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-ax4850-1gbd5-hv3
Case: - Daniel’s (colleague at work)
Hard Drive:
http://www.ebuyer.com/319639-seagate-1tb-barracuda-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

Mother Board & Memory - £88.30
Processor - £88.86
Power Supply: £44.99
Heatsink & Fan £15.49
Graphics Card - £64.98
1TB HDD - £58.00
Case: £40
Windows 8: £80.00

Total of: £480.61

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

What gfx card you have now and what is your monitor resolution? The 4850 is slower than my 5 year old 8800GT 512MB. Current AMD cards are in the 7000 series. Nvidia cards are in the 600s.

With that in mind the 4870 HD (what my brother uses, and I have personally tested in my PC) is around 8% faster than a 8800GT/9800GT 512MB.

Thats assuming you play modern games. If not then the 4850 is fine for watching movies in HD.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

What gfx card you have now and what is your monitor resolution?
- Sinxar

I've been running games on a laptop for the past year so it's integrated graphics. Monitor res is 1366 x 768.

I've given myself a budget off £500, Graphics cards are not my strong spot, what do you recommend?

The games I play, you can find on my steam profile, with that in mind though X Rebirth will by a graphics eater.
bozo64r Games list

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I put this together on newegg.com. Its missing a copy of windows and a harddrive. This is assuming the current exchange rate is correct at $1.60 per Pound giving a budget in USD @ aprox $800.

As you can see, the main thing is the gfx card. That can be dropped to a GTX 650 however since you are playing at low resolution but it could become a problem if you upgrade to a 1080p one or greater. That will give you an extra $250 to play with allowing you to add in a copy of windows (personally recommend 7 over 8, as 8 is still new and unproven) and a large HDD.

It should be noted that I did this in like 20 mins of looking around. I don't know the best UK dealers and I didn't look at any reputable reviews on the hardware other than the GTX 670 (the 670 is the card to have these days, along with the 7970GHz Edition that seen a huge performance boost with the new drivers putting it up to GTX680 performance levels).

MB Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131835 Its 4 RAM Slots with the option of SLI/XFire in the future.

Picture

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I would probably drop the Graphics Card, and go for a 1TB HDD, a cheaper graphics would be better, I would probably look at just a 1GB for know, and then some time in the future upgrade.

M/board - I like it, I would prefer more than 2 slots for RAM though, I just like to have that brething room if I do upgrade, I know 8GB would be more than enough so it's not a big deal.

Processor: I was avoiding i5 due to price, I looked into the i3 because it was very cheap, $200 is quite expensive, it works out to £123, but I think it is worth it.

Memory is fine.

GFX: Will change that to a lower spec one.

Power Supply is fine.

This is the case I have:
X-Dreamer II

edit: Looking around and found this; 2GB GFX this time, much the same spec, though it has a different processor. PC

1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.