Windows 8.

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » Windows 8.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 11 years ago.

So Windows 8 has been out awhile now, I was wondering what you thoughts on it were. No certain questions just have your feedback is.

I have used Windows 8 since it came out and before due to having it at work before release. I found a very good OS, I love the retro look, I can have taskbars on all screens instead of just one like Windows 7, I can move the task bars anywhere and still have 'Start' in the bottom left corner.
Things a very easy to find, and you can still access everything, I feared that Windows would start disallowing access to computer changing programs, like the Registry.

Overall I love it! Big grin

I have a wonder as well, I have bought Windows 8, so I have the CD, is there a way of just buying the licence key, and using the disk I already have, saves having two disk.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

To be honest I havnt really looked at Windows 8 - I saw a few reviews disliking the app idea but other than that I havnt really looked into. For me Windows 7 is fine: supports everything, DX11, 64 bit and is updated by constant patches/security fixes.

I do think MS release new Windows version too quickly - technology hasnt changed all that much since Win7, and whats wrong with Win7 atm?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I have a wonder as well, I have bought Windows 8, so I have the CD, is there a way of just buying the licence key, and using the disk I already have, saves having two disk.

Thats a good question. I *think* I may have read something a while back that you can't sell it without a disc or some type of recovery media. That may only apply to Retail versions though. I tried to do the same thing way back when I got this PC and couldn't find just an OEM key for sale from somebody I trust.

IMO it would prolly just be safer to buy the OEM copy (or Retail, whatever). Install the version you purchased and don't enter a key. You get what like 30 days to enter a valid key?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Surely retail version is always best (if your building a pc) - as you can transfer the license anytime to another PC. However OEM once you activate it, thats it (if the pc goes down, then may as well throw your money down a big hole). I really hate OEM windows.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I've changed my motherboard and countless hdds. Upgraded the CPU and it still is valid. After a while you have to call their toll free number and enter the code to activate it again when you reinstall after making major changes to the hardware.

Funny thing tho, when i changed the motherboard it didn't make me call them it just activated normally. But yea, if there is a hardware failure you just call the number and it activates. There is no reason to pay extra for retail unless you plan to put it on a different PC. Most people (including myself) don't switch PCs until the OS is outdated anyway. Plus its something like 1/3 the price of retail?

-ed 1: 1/2 price not 1/3. Not sure why the retail full version is so hard to find here =/
-ed 2: hang on is there even a retail version of it? all the pages ive found that sells it are gone (404). Possible scam sites?
-ed 3: Turns out there is no retail version of it. Only OEM and upgrades. So yea, scam sites. So the choice is buy OEM or buy Windows 7 and the windows 8 upgrade apparently. I'm so confused.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hmm.. ive just checked too - it does seem hard to find a full retail box of Windows 8, like you said OEM or upgrade versions are easy to get. Its quite funny really - its easier to get Windows 7 than 8 - the newer O/S you think MS would push. I do think Win8 has struggled tbh. I would recommend you go for Win7 anyway (nothing wrong with Win7, does everything you will need). Dont get caught up in MS marketing - thinking you must upgrade or your pc is old.

ps. Why do they say Win8 is on CD? surely Win8 should be supplied on a DVD? unless they got some crazy zip compression we dont know about :p

MajorStewie

MajorStewie avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 11 years ago.

windows 8 was released with upgrade disk only. http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I guess this explains the slower up-take of Win8: people with new computers will have installed already, or those who want to upgrade from Win7. Seems a bit strange on MS side.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Windows 8 was not 'Upgrade only' I have bought clean install.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

how did you do it?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Windows 8 was not 'Upgrade only' I have bought clean install.
- bozo64r

was it an OEM or retail package?

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HI2W66/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

That's what I bought. I still need to install it, my PC bits are arriving tomorrow.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Ohh nice find! I would like to try 8, but I'll prolly just wait until I build a new PC. Depending on when that happens, the next OS might be out by then lol!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ohh nice find! I would like to try 8, but I'll prolly just wait until I build a new PC. Depending on when that happens, the next OS might be out by then lol!
- Sinxar

Which OS are you running atm?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm a proud Vista user.

A little explanation is in order as there is so much hate toward this OS. I built this PC when Vista came out. With a working genuine copy of it, there is no reason to upgrade to 7. It's one of the reasons why I don't join in the bashing of 8. The Vista problems were patched up in the first few months. Not really defending the bad launch, but I am sick of people who never even used it just jumping on the hatewagon.

I like it because its shiny and fast like 7, but utilitarian like XP.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

A little explanation is in order as there is so much hate toward this OS.
- Sinxar

Yeah, Vista does get a bad rep. Myself I stayed away from it and waited for 7 - which got mostly positive reviews. However I wont knock Vista because ive never used it before. However im quite happy with 7, and see little point of upgrading to 8 for the moment.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.