WTF is Egosof's DevNet?

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » WTF is Egosof's DevNet?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Maybe someone here could fill me in, but what is egosoft's devnet? ive seen the link in my egosoft profile but then it asks for my personal details. So I decide to go somewhere else; doesnt really explain why. Does it really grant you anything extra by filling in those details? It just im not keen on giving such personal details for no reasons.

caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

I know how you feel but i have talked to people at work who are fans of the x3 games and some of them say that they are asking for advice on expanshions or something like that they werent to detailed about it but that is what i was told hell if they are look at the money you will make if they use your idea just make sure you eather print or write a copy of an idea or story so if they use it they cant say its theirs like lion head did with me

A question that has puzzled me for my whole 24 years of life. If a word is in the dictonary is mispelled how do we know?
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

It gives access to the developer portion of the site and forum. The one on your profile gives L3 access. You get to test patches and things mainly.

L5 access requires you to sign a NDA and apparently you get access to future projects and scripting things. Stuff Egosoft don't want the general public to see because of spoilers or copyright issues, etc.

I have L3 access and its why I sometimes mention things that may not be public knowledge but is not giving out any actual information. Such as the upcomming 3.0 AP patch that has the Xbox 360 controller support. I'm honestly surprised that you never signed up for it considering you run this site and a huge fan of the X series.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

ah, thanks for explaining sinxar. I guess for me, its a bit strange to enter-in such details into a forum. If someone like Berd ask me to join, then it would be different. ie. they want my input (I wouldnt have anything against signing DNA's either). Ive even done testing before for other companies. It would be nice to add my input and help test things.

However I just feel it would be in vain, so I havnt bothered signing up. The x-community can seem fairly closed at times, and gives a some-what unwelcoming feel.

caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

The x-community can seem fairly closed at times, and gives a some-what unwelcoming feel.
- Roguey

Compleatly off topic but i have to agree with you i have been on this forum for almost a year i think. And i have kinda found my spot. But at times i still feel like the guy running around the room yelling whats this whats this.

A question that has puzzled me for my whole 24 years of life. If a word is in the dictonary is mispelled how do we know?
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

ah, thanks for explaining sinxar. I guess for me, its a bit strange to enter-in such details into a forum. If someone like Berd ask me to join, then it would be different. ie. they want my input (I wouldn't have anything against signing DNA's either). Ive even done testing before for other companies. It would be nice to add my input and help test things.

However I just feel it would be in vain, so I haven't bothered signing up. The x-community can seem fairly closed at times, and gives a some-what unwelcoming feel.
- Roguey

I agree. They do want your input though, its just not forced upon you. Testers are in very short supply and the devs do pay attention to every thread posted on the subject of whatever it is you are helping to test.

When I first registered X3:R I thought it was some kind of scam. I've never seen a game have an official forum like that and entering my CD key into the forum took a lot of courage. Its an interesting system and the only other one like it I have come across is the forums for the Baldurs Gate series (including Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Icewind Dale, etc). Its understandable that you wouldn't want to give out personal information through the forums, but it is hosted by Egosoft and maintained by Egosoft staff. I worry about how secure it is though. Are they the kind of people who would store all your information in a plain text file sitting on the internet? Yahoo! did that and they are much larger and assumed to take security seriously, but it just goes to show you can never be too sure.

But at times i still feel like the guy running around the room yelling whats this whats this.
- caffeeine

LoL! A quick Google search will suppress that feeling. I mean almost any question about the X games you could think of has been asked and answered thousands of times. Unless its something extremely specific, its faster to just search than ask.

Maybe its just me though. I'm getting old and I would rather try to find information for myself instead of having others search for me.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

When I first registered X3:R I thought it was some kind of scam. I've never seen a game have an official forum like that and entering my CD key into the forum took a lot of courage.

I felt the same way too. Normally your told not to enter-in any personal details into a forum, such as name, address, phone number and/or product codes. So for egosoft to ask for it, seems rather a bad way of doing things. When I first entered in those keys, they were more important however has time goes on, those keys have de-valued. So such so, that I have another copy on steam now. However I am still very worried entering in my address details - it just doesnt seem right (and usually if something isnt right, you dont enter in your details).

I think its just the way its been done - ive entered in account/keys for games in web accounts before (such as GW2, diablo3), however they were more 'professional' looking (they had they own pages, not just 'tagged' on). Ive just done a simple copy 'n paste, and moved those settings to another page (which looks more official, well to me anyway):

Picture

You could say that official companies should be 'safe' with your personal details, however not long ago Sony got hacked and lost a countless amount of information. Sony is a lot bigger company than Egosoft, and their security systems were surely harder to get into.

I understand how important people's account data is, and there-for heavily encrypt all passwords on this site (just encase people use the same passwords else-where). At one stage, I was storing password has text but felt this wasnt right for you guys. They could even used a SSL certificate to secure your information. I would post this on ego's forum, but no-doubt a mod would lock in seconds.. however it is a valid question and should really be answered. I just dont feel safe giving my details on/through a phpbb forum.

As for the staff, well hopefully they are nice and friendly although I dont really have any contact with any of them - So I cant judge. I think ego have only contacted me once about my mod, which never reached the super-box (but equally no mods made it). I understand ego dont want push people into anything although.

Compleatly off topic but i have to agree with you I have been on this forum for almost a year i think. And i have kinda found my spot. But at times i still feel like the guy running around the room yelling whats this whats this.
- caffeeine

lol, we all do that sometimes - its called learning Smile

You need to log-in to post here.