The random games we play

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » The random games we play

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I wanted to start this thread so I wouldn't have to keep making new ones for each game. Feel free to add your own post about random games that doesn't really fit in any other forum.

So I have been playing Wipeout 3... again. I played this game pretty hardcore a few years ago (if 10 years counts as "a few" ). Its anti-gravity racing at it's finest! I first heard about Wipeout back when I was in highschool. Wipeout XL just came out and a buddy of mine rented it. I thought that was the coolest racing game ever. I heard Wipeout 3 was released not too long after that but it was impossible to find. The entire franchise is practically unknown to most people. There were a few inserts in gaming magazines at the time but it seems like nobody really knew what it was, as the ads were cryptic in nature. Even youtube has very little content for this game.

Basically its a arcade style racing game with anti-gravity vehicles. Its purely player skill based, no ship upgrades here!

This was one of the few games that supported the linking of PS1 consoles together so each person would have their own screen (up to 8 players at once). Its the type of game where you could hold tournaments and even bet on races between players. One thing I really like about it is that there is no fluff in this game at all. The racing is so good that it doesn't need shiny menus and effects to be considered good.

There are 4 power classes. In this video I am racing the Rapier class. Its the 3rd. I haven't unlocked the last one yet. The ship i'm using is the Piranha. It has a good top speed and excellent handling, a bit lacking in shielding but its a well balanced ship. As a newbie it is a difficult to grasp game even at the lowest power class with the easiest to fly ship. Once you get how to control it properly it does get easier with practice.

I started by doing a time trial for a warmup, followed by the real race. Its not nearly as easy as it looks btw. Watch in 720p if possible (YouTube killed the quality yet again... it was crystal clear at 720p...).

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Woh, thats an old wipeout - ive played the one on the ps3 abit but dont like the idea behind the boost-pads. basically you got to learn where they all are, so you can hit each one.

atm ive been playing DOA5, borderlands2, tomb raider, harry potter series, homefront and a few more. The harry potter games more or less suck - just trying to beat them for the platinum trophy (a trophy you get for getting 100% with a game on the ps3).

as for DOA5 - its been fun apart from the amount of grinding in it; such as do 1,000 online - although im glad its not win 1,000 online fights.

as for borderlands2/tomb raider, both have been really great games. I would well recommend them if you want something good to play Smile

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Oh man, I didn't realize there were new Wipeout and DOA games lol! I don't have a PS3 so i guess I never kept up with what was released. I remember DOA for Xbox. My brother rage quit when I figured out how to counter his attacks constantly.

Not sure why I picked up my old games. I played The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES not to long ago lol. I find it funny that some of these old games look and play better than a lot of new releases.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

well the DOA games were exclusive to MS on the xbox, however I guess aftter so many releases the series is finally back on PS. I think DOA5 is first that's on both the xbox360 and the PS3. Its nice to see it back to be honest - I hate when a title is exclusive to one platform.

as for wipeout, its also on the Vita too :p

as for the older games, I think some have been coming back due to the tablet/phone era. Now these devices are getting more powerful, we are seeing many old classics return. ie. GTA3 / Vice city can be brought for android (as I know of).. they are probably out on apple store too.

caffeeine

caffeeine avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

I still have the old school nentendo. I occasionaly play duck hunt and super mario quite often.

A question that has puzzled me for my whole 24 years of life. If a word is in the dictonary is mispelled how do we know?
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

woh, the old nintendo works still? I wouldnt expect the new/current gen to last as long to be honest.

DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Nice. I'm into strategy games, Sins of a Solar Empire was a load of fun. There are problems with it, but for the most part it's a lovely space command and conquer. I still play Medieval 2: Total War when X3 pisses me off.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ive been playing Borderlands 2 quite a bit recently. They released a pack that allows to reach level 61, on a new mode: ultimate vault hunter mode. The DLC is free if you brought the season pass. Atm level 56 Smile

the clever thing has you level up, the monsters increase with levels with you.

j0lt

j0lt avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 7 years ago.

I loved Wipeout XL! Aside from Elite Dangerous, I've been replaying a lot of old NES and SNES games. Finally beat Castlevania! Only took 29 years! :p

You need to log-in to post here.