Pilot training method

Home Board Index » X4: Foundations » Pilot training method

kenardoni

kenardoni avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 1 year ago.

A question I've asked myself today and couldn't find the answer for is as follows. I have a bunch of pilots, that I want to train to have some more than 1.5 Stars. Now most of them are currently on the Local Auto Mine order for various resources around Sol space. But my question is, would it be faster to use the Repeat Orders with a Mine in Area > Sell to Station combination?

Technically they do the same, just potentially less productive, cause they don't look for best deal, just sell to one station. But I do not know how the system for skill gain works and most of the "best way to xyz" guides use either the "Protect this position" with a big ship next to a Xenon entry gateway or the "Repeat Orders" thing. I'm just curious what would be fastest.
spankbang
Anyone did a test/understands the mechanics?

SpaceWizard

SpaceWizard avatar
Posted 1 year ago.

I assume, you do not wish to use mods? There is a mod which works fine: "Learning all the Things' on Nexusmods. It can be configured and works fine, since it does not patch or change any original scripts, it is a standalone script running every 20 minutes, and so compatible to all versions of the game. But many people do not want it because they say it is overpowered. This can be changed via mod configuration, but you need to edit the script (the only script this mod has), and while it is documented well, not all people want to do this. There are other mods too, where you can buy more 'seminars' - see below.

Assuming you do not want to use mods, here are several options:

'More that 1.5 stars' should be easy, because all traders offer 'Seminars', which are fairly cheap. Nearly every trader has seminars for Management and for Pilots. The 'normal' seminars bring a pilot to 1 star, if you give it to them, via dialog.There are also seminars 'for 1 Star pilots', which is a bit misleading: This seminar requires a pilot (or manager) with at least one star, and if you give them the seminar they go up to 2 stars. If the pilot has 2 stars or more, the seminar cannot be given, but if the pilot has 1.5 stars this works and they have even more than 2 stars afterwards. The '1-Star Seminars' are more rare, but if you ask every trader on every station you visit, you will able to buy some soon.

There are also Seminars for 2-Star pilots or managers, and even for 3-Star personnel. They are quite rare and can be won with missions as a reward.

If you have a developed game and start terraforming, there should be sort of a Training Centre, which you can build, but I never came so far up to now, and at this point it is too late anyway, IMHO.

Another method is exploring. This actually works, if you start it at the very begin of your game, or as soon as possible: You can buy cheap ships of the 'Scout' class, every faction has one ship of this type. Buy a Scout ship (with pilot), and set them to exploring with the explore command. This gives your explorer pilot up to 2 stars quite fast. You can even have up to 3 stars with this method, if you send your explorer into an 'unknown' sector, i.e. a sector where none of your ships have been since game start. You see only the jump gate or accelerator. If you send your Scout with the explore command to the gate, it will start to explore 'unknown sector' - and this gives an even better skill gain, and is the reason you should do this as early as possible.

Also a method is combat, but this works less well than exploring, and has its risks. But pilots in combat gain experience too.

And last but not least: Your replacement pilot on your ship seems to gain quite fast, even if they are not flying. So you can swap them out from time to time, which works best if you do a lot of flying yourself.

Sadly, mining and trading gain nearly no experience.

I personally object (as many do) to this design decisions and therefore use the mod.

Hope this helps..

ratketyree

ratketyree avatar
Posted 9 months ago.

I take it you don't want to utilize any modifications? Learning all the Things" is a perfectly functional mod available on Nexusmods. It is a standalone script that updates itself every 20 minutes and works properly after configuration; it does not modify or alter any original scripts, thus it is compatible with all versions of the game. Many, though, are averse to it because they believe it to be too powerful. Although it is extensively described, not everyone will want to update the script (the only script this mod provides) in order to make this modification using the mod's setup. Further'seminars' can be purchased from various addons, as will be shown in the following section.

You need to log-in to post here.