Million-dollar question

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Million-dollar question

Waylum

Waylum avatar
Level badge Noguey (0)
Posted 12 years ago.

Is it worth buying?

Now please let me explain. I've been playing X3 for a long time and been a long time viewer on this website and I know Roguey's site to be my main go-to site whenever I need info.

I have the impression that X3AP is just a filler and a money making one. The devs threw this out because they keep postponing Rebirth. So the question is, is it really worth playing? As far as I read, they didn't add a whole lot of game changing things in this expansion. I know it'll be fun, I always have fun with X3 series, however, I just want to know if they just threw this out to make more money or is it really...well, different and worth buying and playing before Rebirth.

I apologize for asking the question that all over the internet, but I like the peeps here and Roguey and would really like to hear what you guys have to say, honestly. Thanks!

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hello Waylum welcome to the site. Big grin

AP is worth buying, it bridges the gap from what we know as they X Universe and the new 'Rebirth' that is supposed to be the next game.

Many people have their views, I thought it was a 'distraction' from the fact they have postponed Rebirth. Besides all that it is a game worth buying.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there Waylum, welcome to the site.

I can understand why you might feel hesitant about X3AP after-all its is an expansion to X3TC. It really depends on how much you like the x-series, as there are some nice additions to X3TC (large wars, improved HUD, new ships, increased hull etc.). The only down-side to X3AP is there is only one plot for non-terran races (maybe this might change?).

You may find my Initial thoughts of Albion Prelude informative. Egosoft do sound like they have a few things planned, with both the HQ and Hub being available in v2.0 (via missions).

However if you need a plot to play with, then you maybe a little disappointed with X3AP. But if your quite happy building up a fleet, complex and doing your own thing, you could be spending a lot of hours in X3AP.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

IMO It's not worth the effort to even download it. Why yes commander I want to be informed of war updates constantly after I finish the plot. I love having my fleet destroyed by a single M5. The CAG/CLS script is bugged in some weird way. Ships still lose their orders when shot at out of sector.

I can't imagine how anybody puts up with it.

For what its worth, only me and one other person has the 'entire fleet instapopped by a single M5 issue'. They are supposed to fix the war updates in the next patch I hear.

The plus side is it runs smoother. And you have a UT blacklist. Oh and jump beacons. Also they are going to add the hub and PHQ soon.

Maybe I will change my tune when they fix it, but for me its simply unplayable ATM.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 12 years ago.

IMO, is it worth buying full price for? No.. I would definitely wait until it goes on sale. I think I bought TC and AP for $10. That's what its worth in my opinion.

I believe they did just tossed x3ap together. At its first release, Optimization was extremely poor. I believe, because rebirth is taking them much longer than they expected, they wanted to make "quick" money.

3 years after the release of TC, you would at least think there would be allot of improvements on game mechanics, and they would have everything TC had plus more. Not even close.

Before I get spammed with Hate lol. I know they announced future updates of adding allot of other features that TC had, but still. Its complete BS. Everything should've been with the game on its release. And to call AP anything close to "expansion", is just wrong. An expansion means, expanding!. A few ships, doesn't impress me. Besides, since when has anyone heard of an expansion cutting? lol

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

For myself, I got the free download but I'm fully intending to buy the disc when it appears.
The game itself is X3TC with a twist, so if you liked that you're gonna love this...
As for buying, The biggest hurdle for buying to me would be Steam.
I have a free Steam account and never had a credit/debit card registered with them. I have absolutely no intention of ever allowing them access to that info.
Steam itself seems to slow-down the loading process which is a pain (stick the kettle on, it's long enough to brew tea before you get to play).
They also seem to think that £=$ which is another reason never to actually spend any money with them.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Why do people hate steam so much anyways? I'll admit, when Half Life 2 came out, and steam was born.. I hated it also... But over the years, there's been much improvement.

The positives I See;

Access to awesome sales
Fast Top download speeds
The ability to have your friends join your game Via Messenger
Having a wide selection of games, while in the comfort of your own home
Steam helps spread the word of any game, which helps developers make more money to invest into their franchise.

Negatives;

Long waits on support tickets... But doesn't that come with pretty much any support?

I mean not only are you getting good deals, your also supporting the developer of the game. As far as credit/debit transactions, steam doesn't enforce you to save your credit/ debit information. Why not just use paypal for additive protection. I always check my accounts for any unusual charges.. who doesn't?

So please everyone who hates steam, explain the reason why. Because the past few weeks, all I read across all forums is people bashing steam without a reason.

jccpsc

jccpsc avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hi Waylum

Well comme

In my opinion the x-series are compared to a cult, I've played lots of games that I loved them but the x-series I've just maried it.

If you loved X3TC like I did then (like a religion) Albion is worth to buy even if you culd take the risk of being a bit dissapoited like I did. Any way it's all part of a mariadge.
They have been upgradig the AP and I think they still will continue.
ATM I'm even upgrating my PC from a Pentiun IV to an I5 and of corse all things related because of the rumors of Rebirth only will work with 64Bits.
I thing that reveals my love for it.

But it's just me...???

Forgive my poor English... thats because I'm not English

JCC

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

So please everyone who hates steam, explain the reason why. Because the past few weeks, all I read across all forums is people bashing steam without a reason.
- Relicalchaos

Indeed. it gets old fast. I was the same way, when it came out i hated it. in reality its not bad at all. One of the biggest complaints i see is that is uses too much system resources. While trying to get TC to run better i found it only uses about 100mb of RAM and sits idle in the tray. I mean real idle, uses less CPU than that disk indexer that is constantly running.

I can however relate to people who want a disc copy of a game. One thing people don't realize is that even with a disc, they have no rights. with steam it allows you to play any game you own anywhere. Do that with a disc and your breaking the law (unless permission is given by copyright holder, usually in the form of # of activations per key).

One thing I don't like about it is that it constantly nags you if your in offline mode and have a net connection.

Its funny how quickly people forget about the DRM included on disc games.

ed:
ATM I'm even upgrating my PC from a Pentiun IV to an I5
- jccpsc

WOW! you still use a P4!? I thought my AMD 5600+ X2 was outdated...

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

1) Security
It's public knowledge Steam's customer database has been hacked.

2) Downloads
For those of us with download limits having Steam eat into it without much control over it simply isn't acceptable.

3) Speed of access
Compared to the Disc versions it takes an unacceptable length of time to load a game.

I have a few games that required Steam registration.
AP is the only game I have had to download and frankly I don't want to go through that again.
It doesn't add anything to AP that I can see so I can't see an upside to it.

"Great Sales" Not when your paying in £ it isn't.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

rumors of Rebirth only will work with 64Bits
- jccpsc

I believe they would take a HUGE loss, making it only run on 64bit systems. There is no game (I believe) out on the market that requires a 64 bit system. There are some applications. Its just a rumor and you can be safe, it's not true.

They have been upgradig the AP and I think they still will continue.
- jccpsc

atm allot of people across all X series forums is practically begging Egosoft not to work on any updates to AP. Everyone would rather have them push rebirth with there full man power, than take a few people off for AP.

jccpsc

jccpsc avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I believe they would take a HUGE loss, making it only run on 64bit systems. There is no game (I believe) out on the market that requires a 64 bit system. There are some applications. Its just a rumor and you can be safe, it's not true.

- Relicalchaos

There's one I know that is needed 64 bits and it's one of the series I loved to but I had to stop playing because of it wich is the GTA series, the GTA IV is needed 64 bits.

And yes you're write they kind loose one costumer at least because of it...ME.

But with the x-series is diferent for me. It's a mariage I want to save.
That's why I going to spend 500.00€ in the upgrade of my PC.

JCC

jccpsc

jccpsc avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

WOW! you still use a P4!? I thought my AMD 5600+ X2 was outdated...
- Sinxar

Yes and with much prowd.
It has been an exelent machine but atm it's all pulled to it's limits and I can't do anything else to improve it. Only over clock wich I don't like to do it.

It's a P IV at 3.0 ghz with 3gb ram at 400 mhz, graf is an ATI Radion 1650 with 512 mb gddr2 128bit AGP 8x, I have two 80gbs HDDs Sata working in raid 0 for the C:
And the MB is one of the best ones for 478 socket wich is the Asus P4C800-E deluxe.

There was very few the times my frame rate was anoying wile playing TC and AP with this PC.

So don't be unhappy with yours, It's not bad at all.

By the way I'm runing Win 7.

JCC

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Sounds similar to my own P4 2.8 Ghz, Only 1.25 GB RAM (As much as I can get on the motherboard - Compaq Evo W4000) ATI Radion 1650, 150 GB HDD Sata.
Running XP Pro.

dutzan

dutzan avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

There's one I know that is needed 64 bits and it's one of the series I loved to but I had to stop playing because of it wich is the GTA series, the GTA IV is needed 64 bits.

- jccpsc

When you say 64bit system, do you mean the windows version, or something else? Cause I have been able to play it and don't have 64.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

the GTA IV is needed 64 bits.
- jccpsc

GTA IV requirements, is not 64Bit. Back in the day, I even ran the game on windows XP 32.

1 2 3 »

Sorry but this thread has been locked.