Million-dollar question

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Million-dollar question

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 12 years ago.

Not to discuss the corporation's marketing stratagies.

- jccpsc

It stopped on its own lol No one came, flying in to "save the day" and stop anything. And be careful Wink comments like that only throw fuel on the fire.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Indeed, there wasn't really anything to discuss in the first place.
On-Line games haven't really been a viable option out here, theoretically there's a server about a mile or two away though I've never seen my machine link to it.
Generally I'm looking at a server 30-50 miles away.
Timed loading for AP; 6 min 25 sec.
In general if something is only available in a download format it simply isn't an option. AP is the biggest exception so far but it took me an entire evening to download it.

(I even offered Roguey my CD key as I wasn't sure I would be able to complete the download at all)

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Oh, was that you ripskar who offered, thanks for that but it was your copy and not mine. Does it really take you that long to load in X3AP? It really sounds like you need a new pc, although I can understand its not always possible to do.

If you only have 1.25Gb of RAM then thats causing the slow loading times. You really need around 3Gb, more for X3AP to be happy, however 2Gb would be a major benefit to X3AP. I wouldnt like to try rebirth on that system!

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

Financially it's not possible to start building a new system yet.
Such is life.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

And yet I don't for TC on disc? Roll eyes
- Ripskar

Because you have so little memory, the more processes you have running, the less memory you have left that's available. So basically, the less programs, open windows etc running, the more performance you will have.

Between 5-6 years ago, 2 gigs of ram was acceptable for any gaming rig. Today 2 gigs isn't honestly. There's allot of games out today that push for the 4gig marker, for optimum performance. Especially with windows 7.
- Relicalchaos

Soooooooo... YEAH!!! So much arguing, and in the end, roguey says the samething, and you just agree instantly.. All I can say is wow. You could've cut out about 2 pages on here LOL

Something on your nose?

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

I find it strange that I don't get the slow loading times when I'm not connected to Steam, nor any of the other bugs that become apparent when connected.
Like I said Online gaming really isn't an option out here and thus Steam fails to meet my requirements. I would therefore prefer an alternative.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Here I think I can simplify it more for you.

Steam running= "some" memory usage. For the litte you have, that means allot.

Steam NOT running= A tiny bit more memory is freed up, and it seems like your computer is running faster because of it.

Bottom line, when you read system requirements for a game, that's JUST FOR THE GAME itself, and nothing else. Steam has its own requirements, Along with Windows! You need to add up all the ram needed to run everything.

Steam requires 512mb
X3ap requires 1gig
Windows XP 64mb

So far thats 1.576 Gigs

AND THATS NOT counting anything else you have running. I.E;

Virus programs
Music programs
any open windows
Web Browser
etc.....

So in the end, you DON'T HAVE ENOUGH memory to run everything. Again, I'M NOT PROTECTING STEAM, just trying to have you understand why your experiencing the problems that you have.

With ram usage that high, with everything running, you must experience allot of crashes, restarts and blue screens.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

AND THATS NOT counting anything else you have running. I.E;

Virus programs
Music programs
any open windows
Web Browser
etc.....

So in the end, you DON'T HAVE ENOUGH memory to run everything. Again, I'M NOT PROTECTING STEAM, just trying to have you understand why your experiencing the problems that you have.

With ram usage that high, with everything running, you must experience allot of crashes, restarts and blue screens.

- Relicalchaos

Never had a Blue Screen, CTD generally only happens when I'm doing larger complexes (25 Self sustaining IRE forges) and Kha'ak scout spam + drones.
And I don't have an open browser etc. when I'm playing due to being utterly pointless.
Your estimate for memory usage is significantly higher than what I'm actually using so I think your assumptions on settings must be wrong.

That said if Steam means that much to you there's a thread on Egosoft.

After all when I need to get something done I have a cheap and easy work around - Turn Steam off.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Your estimate for memory usage is significantly higher than what Im actually using so I think your assumptions on settings must be wrong.
- Ripskar

I never said that's what your using. I said those are the system requirements. How would I know, what your 10 year old pc is using? I was just trying to help.

And I dont have an open browser etc. when Im playing due to being utterly pointless.
- Ripskar

not pointless. For people who can alt tab out and check out some info, its really helpful. Again if you bother to read the post, I said "anything else you might have running". Never said WHAT YOU HAVE running.

EDIT* I was just trying to help. Just trying to "explain". When it comes down to it, I just don't care anymore. I tried to explain something to you about PC's, and your just never going to comprehend anything. I do know, I can't wait for rebirth Wink

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

sorry guys, this subject has gone abit off-topic, so I am going to lock it. I know you guys are trying to helpful but it seems all about steam. The original question was is X3AP worth getting.

« 1 2 3

Sorry but this thread has been locked.