Million-dollar question

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Million-dollar question

dutzan

dutzan avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

Actually I still do, XP service pack3 32bit since... forever, lol. So far I've had no reason to change it what so ever, except for battlefield 3 which no longer runs on it. And I'm not gonna turn my pc upside down, get windows 7 and reinstall everything for a game.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 12 years ago.

Only 1.25 GB RAM (As much as I can get on the motherboard - Compaq Evo W4000)
- Ripskar

No wonder you have slow loading times

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

And yet I don't for TC on disc? Roll eyes

Steam's loading times have improved since I first set it up with Red Orchestra, (that took a couple of hours to load each time) but that doesn't equate to to being acceptable.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Because you have so little memory, the more processes you have running, the less memory you have left that's available. So basically, the less programs, open windows etc running, the more performance you will have.

Between 5-6 years ago, 2 gigs of ram was acceptable for any gaming rig. Today 2 gigs isn't honestly. There's allot of games out today that push for the 4gig marker, for optimum performance. Especially with windows 7.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

I got a good LoL from that. Your using a PC that was state of the art in 1995 then blame steam when its slow.

But but but, my p4 can play Diablo just fine! Why does it take hours to load Red Orchestra, gawd steam sucks!

sorry man but i have customers that bring me old PCs and they wanna play crysis on them and stuff. I laugh every time.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

I can directly compare TC on Disc to TC on Steam.
Steam version is pants, load time is longer and CTD more often.

But I suppose the Steam fanboys will just sweep that under the rug and not care about about anyone getting a choice of format.

Haven't you passed on to Windows 8 yet...

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

I can directly compare TC on Disc to TC on Steam.
Steam version is pants, load time is longer and CTD more often.

But I suppose the Steam fanboys will just sweep that under the rug and not care about about anyone getting a choice of format.

Haven't you passed on to Windows 8 yet...
- Ripskar

I can relate to wanting to have it on disc. You shouldn't have any CTD. Your using an ancient PC then blaming the service is the point. I'm using a 6 year old PC and works fine.

Assuming we are "fanboys" because we are telling you whats wrong is also pretty funny. Its alright though.

Your windows 8 comment just shows how closed minded you are. Its not even out and you already classified it as garbage. Thankfully your type [of gamers] are the minority.

Before you mention the thread on the egosoft forums, i am well aware that 30 people from 200k of sales has a problem with steam. Quite possibly for the same reasons you do.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

The OP asked for reasons why he might not want to buy AP.
For myself that would be Steam, as stated back on page 1.

Relicalchaos has been acting as a Steam fanboy since then.

I am aware that my system is getting long in the tooth, but when I can directly compare a single program in both formats the system is irrelevant, indeed it belongs to a separate conversation which Relicalchaos cut in on which frankly is insulting.
I don't have CTD on the disc version of TC, simple as that.

I'm not in the thread on Egosoft because it is irrelevant to me.

I'm sticking with XP on my home system because I have to use Windows 7 at work and thus have to deal with the bugs on a regular basis.
Several of which are the same ones from early Vista which is bizarre.
And now they're bringing out Windows 8...

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

As for buying, The biggest hurdle for buying to me would be Steam.
I have a free Steam account and never had a credit/debit card registered with them. I have absolutely no intention of ever allowing them access to that info.
Steam itself seems to slow-down the loading process which is a pain (stick the kettle on, it's long enough to brew a pot of tea. before you get to play).
They also seem to think that £=$ which is another reason never to actually spend any money with them.

- Ripskar

The OP asked for reasons why he might not want to buy AP.
For myself that would be Steam, as stated back on page 1.

Relicalchaos has been acting as a Steam fanboy since then.

indeed it belongs to a separate conversation which Relicalchaos cut in on which frankly is insulting.

- Ripskar

Its not rude. You said, not to buy the game because of the crappy load times on steam. It takes so long to load, you can brew a pot of tea (which takes me 4-6 minutes to do). I'm merely specifying, that I don't have those problems on steam, and I was curious why someone would? . I wouldn't want someone to be "swayed" away from a game, for unjustifiable reasons.

EDIT:
sorry man but i have customers that bring me old PCs and they wanna play crysis on them and stuff. I laugh every time.
- Sinxar

That's the truth. No matter how many times I hear stories like this, I always seem to just laugh and die alittle inside.

And on another note, I'm no spokesperson or fan-MAN (I'm a man not a boy Wink) I just believe steam does more good than it does bad.

And on ANOTHER NOTE, AP doesn't take 4-6 minutes to load. More like 10 seconds, well maybe 15.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

The disc version should be available later in the month so its hardly swaying people away indefinitely.
If it hadn't been a free download I'd still be waiting now.
It's upto the OP how he wishes to spend his money and given the timing with regards the disc release Steam could have been a factor in that decision.

Relicalchaos

Relicalchaos avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

its hardly swaying people away indefinitely.
If it hadn't been a free download I'd still be waiting now.
It's upto the OP how he wishes to spend his money and given the timing with regards the disc release Steam could have been a factor in that decision.
- Ripskar

Person, is plural, what you need singular. And your right, its up to him, I never said it wasn't. Your just naive, and just looking for something to begrudge. 4-6 minutes load time is laughable.. Sinxar is right. Thank god the number, is just a minority.

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 12 years ago.

And again your manners are deplorable.
A far more likely culprit would be distance to server.
Looking at the Poll in the thread he referred to it looks like a 60-40 split.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Woh, you guys have been busy! Sorry about being busy yesterday - I was building a new admin/mod section for the site.

I personally dont really have any problems with steam, although I am running a newish machine - which was made to run rebirth. I can understand why some people have problems with steam, as it does require more resources. On the flip side there are some nice features from steam, automatic updating (fine if your connection can handle it all, and that you dont need to check for updates), achievements and no messing around having a disc in the drive (so annoying, especially if your playing a few games on the go).

I really think it depends on your system and internet connection. The disc version will help some, as they wont need to put credit details into steam nor download as much.

The only thing which worries me with steam, if for some odd reason there was a problem, then they can close the account and stop me from playing any of the games on my account.

Wohoo, looking at steam, boy hasnt the prices gone up? £10 for X3AP, £20 for the Terran war pack (X3AP+X3TC) and £40 for the super-box? probably the best deal is the Terran war pack if you dont have X3TC.

jccpsc

jccpsc avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

That was about time some one puted an end to this dispute of steam or no steam.

Given the circonstancies, Stean is a bad nassessary.
We are here to help each other in one single goal wich is X- universe because is it ower passion. Not to discuss the corporation's marketing stratagies. regarding that, all we have to do is...
If you want they're products you heve to folow they're rooles.
Or, if you don't want to folow they're rooles you don't get they're products.

That's the way I see things "in MY HOUSE I MAKE THE ROOLS, in others house I folow the rooles or I don't go there".

Regarding to this topic
The question was shoul I buy AP or not

My opinion is YES bust it's me talking, as you know I'm an X3TC/AP addicted.
I never had bought anything on net before. but my addiction to this game forced me "To folow they're rools" and get an account to steam and buy it on it. But has I said before , That's me...

JCC

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I would also agree, if you like X-Games then get X3AP. It will give you a lot of hours of fun regardless.

« 1 2 3 »

Sorry but this thread has been locked.