Dontcha just love Return Abandoned Ship missions?

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Dontcha just love Return Abandoned Ship missions?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

10 hours in on my game start and I already have a Thresher, on 59% hull health! I'm probably going to just use it with IPG's/CIGs on the front for killing M6s, as I don't really have to face anything bigger, then use it's surprisingly large amount of flak arrays (11) for a bit of Xenon killing; I know it doesn't have the best coverage, but it has a few of them and it's a hell of a lot better than nothing.

But my question is, how well have you done off a Return Abandoned Ship mission? And doesn't anybody know if you can get M2/M1's from those missions?

I will be the one to take you down!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

I've never seen a report of anyone getting bigger than M7s.

Personally I like these missions for an early M6/M7M to aid in boarding ops Smile

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

The biggest ive seen was a M7 too. although the ship was worth more than the mission reward Smile

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

They always are Wink Otherwise we'd just return them wouldn't we? :p In my experience the only time to actually return one of these ships is if you're desperately trying to get the race giving the mission on side. Any other time, it's a free ship that you can steal with minimal effort, and if you play it right, with zero rep loss.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

How can you even return an M7 to 'Ore Mine M alpha'? It can't even dock! It's like they positively encourage you to take it...

Also, how did you manage to get the ship without rep loss? I know how to 'dispose' of the police without rep loss, but I always get a hit for failing the mission...

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

How can you even return an M7 to 'Ore Mine M alpha'? It can't even dock!
- RandomTank

Doesn't need to. Just set it to 'move to position' of the relevant station while you're OOS, and the owner will retrieve it as per usual.

Also, how did you manage to get the ship without rep loss? I know how to 'dispose' of the police without rep loss, but I always get a hit for failing the mission...
- RandomTank

I've always done it by waiting for the police to jump in, then jumping my new ship to somewhere safe, Yaki space, or the unknown sector west of X-534. Yes you fail the mission, but unless your race rank is already quite low you won't notice a rep hit.

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I have done a few return ship missions,have been doing more latly. What happens when you bring the ship intoa know sector?

Ripskar

Ripskar avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

If you mean the Unfocussed Jumpdrive sector then the police will cease to exist (delete cache) when you jump out.
If you just mean the standard Unknown Sector the police will follow you.

Somewhere out there is a Cobra Mk III with my name on it.
It isn't mine, some rando actually wrote my name across the side of his ship...
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

They are pretty persistent little buggers really; a few times now I've made it so the Police have to travel through 1 or more Xenon Sectors to get to their prize, which is usually very effective at killing any M3's, M6's and M7's that are tailing my catch, but it seems to be that all the M5's slip through the Xenon's defenses! (I would have thought that was pretty impossible) The other day I left a ship that the police were tailing in Thyns Abyss to make the Police go through X472, I come back an hour later and there is 4 M5's idling around the stations its docked in! It thought it was supposed to be 'certain death' to travel through a Xenon sector; Apparently not!

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

M5s actually stand a pretty good chance of making it through a Xenon sector, especially Kestrel of Jaguar variants, as they're so damned fast! But if their flight path takes them past a Q or K, their chances of survival drop dramatically Whatever

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

I have been doing these missions but sometimes I just can't get the ship back in time and then it gets reported as stolen. How do you keep it for your time you put into the mission if its failed and then reported stolen?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

The art of stealing (or returning) these ships is greatly aided by the use of a TM.

Equip the TM with a jumpdrive (and if you're of a mind to steal the ships, a few spare shields of various sizes), some energy cells and a spare fighter with a spare jumpdrive equipped. Jump your TM to the ship and claim it. Beam over the jumpdrive and cells from the TM, then switch the spare jumpdrive from the fighter to the TM (so you can jump out). Now, if you're returning the ship, simply jump it to it's destination, jump after it and get your jumpdrive back. If you're planning to steal it, be sure to fit it with shields and wait for the mission timer to run down.

A wing of police ships will jump in and attempt to attack the ship. The size and composition of the police wing will vary according to your fight rank. Once they're in system, simply jump your new ship to either Yaki space (Weaver's Tempest is good), or to a sector with a Xenon sector between it and your current location. The police are only interested in the stolen ship, not in you, so they'll follow it. In the case of it being on the far side of Xenon space, the Xenon take them out for you (usually). If you go the Yaki route, the Yaki ships stationed in Senator's Badlands will do the deed Smile

Here endeth the lesson :p :p

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Just to add: If you have the target ship equipped and ready (to steal) you don't have to wait for the mission timer to run out, if you abort the mission it will give the same result: Police hunting the ship down. This just saves time.
And remember, you can get M7's and M7M's from these missions! (I suggest installing the Enhanced Briefings Script, it tells you what ship you have to obtain, among other things...)

Cachurro

Cachurro avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

I make them jump between Grand Exchange and Megnir. There are 4 Xenon sectors in between them, including the only Xenon core sector.
I first got a Kraken, and the second ship was... a Cobra! I still can't believe my luck. And I my first squad of marines is not finished training yet so I will be using a Cobra for my very first boarding.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Whooo hoooo ouch! 4 Xenon sectors of fun you make them run through? Not much is gonna get through that, even M5's would struggle!

You're a nasty piece of work Cachurro...... Big grin

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

oh wow....I have just tried that it got my first stolen ship. Its a toucan but hey, my mercs need a place to sleep. Nice....

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.