GUILD - If You are Star Citizen fan - read me!

Home Board Index » Star Citizen » GUILD - If You are Star Citizen fan - read me!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

hmmm.. sounds good, although such a big chain of command would need quite a lot of players. How many people are interested atm? so I know what sort-of scale we working on.

jaml

jaml avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

Its hard to say...
We can try some pre-recruitment ?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hi, well ive been thinking about this and I do have a group system already in-place (shown here). The group system isnt that complex to allow ranks/tiers but it would give us a way of adding/removing members from a group. This system already up and running and surely would work for us atm? Groups can have hidden boards, something you guys were saying.

I have also tweaked the group-code too - so now only staff+ members (or higher) can add/remove people. However staff-members dont automatically gain the ability to do so, they have to be in the group.

I could make a group, if you think it might do for the time-being. Hopefully will do for a small guild. Tiers/ranks could be added to the SC site, using the group has a basic outline of whos in the guild.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

You all know I will be playing the game... I wanna be Minister of Her Interior (I know, I am 12)

No seriously Roguey should have his own server for us to have our own world!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

hmm.. having our own server is a big leap. Not even played the alpha yet.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Yeah, having our own server is a huge leap of faith considering where the dev process is at right now. That said, it might be very worthwhile once the game's up and running, especially if the guild comes to fruition Smile

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

So I pre-ordered the X-Rebirt game and now I am looking at the Star Citizen game. So is this going to be as big as they are hyping it up to be and should I donate now or should I wait to purchase this? I mean do we have a large following for this game in this site? I would love to play sometimes with you all and was wondering about that.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Thats the big question, how good is it going to be? well we can only really start answering that question when the alpha is out - although the alpha may not give us a full idea. Well there is a lot of backing for SC, so I would of thought should be a good, although whether to support it now or later is youre choice. The best thing to do is to do some research on it and see what you think.

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

So far from what I have seen I really am liking it. Since the creator was also the creator for Privateer and Freelancer as well as Wing Commander I am really thinking it will be awesome. I loved Freelancer. That was what got me into the X games. I will probably purchase it when I am able to. I mean, have you all just looked at the commercials on the site for the items in the game? lol its so cool. These are things I would see while in game, commercials for ships. Its awesome.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

Heya everyone, glad to see the forming of a group here !

Having years of experience in creating, growing and running rather large and successful guilds (not in today's mostly dumb games, but rather e.g. the largest player town and trading center on some Ultima Online server), I think that it is absolutely required to firstly define a proper internal structure, so I appreciate this effort here.

I'd happily join up a gang of proper people like in this board but first things first:

Before defining internal structures or rank or whatever, we firstly will have to define the goals of the guild and the role that we want to play, e.g. PvE, traders, sector owning & PvP, or even rogue(y)s. Only depending on that decision - I suggest to go for everything really to allow for universal fun and not limit the guild structure - we can define a structure.

Other parts to consider are: political and religious (that is major fun!) stance, roleplaying or not, etc. - plenty of things are thinkable, though we don't quite know how much the game will support in this area. The guild's name obviously would depend on the general goals and definitions.

I am all for the sub-leaderships, it's needed. But we also need officers below them to allow for different task forces in each area, though these posts at first might remain empty. As for members, a structure of senior members, members and recruits is the minimum really.

Another aspect to think hard about is the ruling of the guild, e.g. how are decisions made ? I suggest a form of voting with voting power depending on the ranks which reflect the responsibility and thus importance of each member to the guild's efforts. These could e.g. be recruit=0, member=1, senior member=2, etc.

If you are interested in a structure like this, I can create a full rundown of all relevant parts for a "world dominating group" that covers all needs that should occur in a sandbox game.

This being said... I officially signed up for SC as backer only yesterday and need someone to LTI my little 315 fighter. Trying my luck with SCTron, now that I found his post here ! Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well if SC is good, then I have no doubts that I will be coding something to handle a SC guild, yes its something that I would be interested in doing. Just atm im a little wary of things - spending days of coding, to see a backlash.

I have been in a few guilds, for various games and found the ones without website do struggle. A website allows us to structure a guild and give it some more depth. In-game chat is great n'that but sometimes you need to plan things. Some of the best times in a guild was when there was arranged events, where everyone from the guild would try and come online at the same time. However sometimes complex due to timezones, which is something a website can help out with.

I think the structure of a guild would largely depend on the amount of people interested. If there are only a few, then having a large complex chain-of-command would be more confusing, but equally with a large amount of people, a chain of command would be better.

I wont pretend to know much about leading a guild/clan, as I was largely part of them as a member or a officer (second in command). But if you did want me to lead, then that would be possible Smile

Its really up-to you guys.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Just atm im a little wary of things - spending days of coding, to see a backlash.
- Roguey

Well, it's good to know that someone is able and willing to provide needed infrastructure already. Can't have a proper guild without such really. I'd be willing to administer a forum and website if needed.

]I think the structure of a guild would largely depend on the amount of people interested. If there are only a few, then having a large complex chain-of-command would be more confusing, but equally with a large amount of people, a chain of command would be better.
- Roguey

I'd disagree with this one somewhat: The structure should be ready for "anything" while also allowing to only use part of it while the guild is smaller. I'd say that only by looking far ahead with the choice of structure you can prevent later problems that might occur due to restructuring.

But yes, I wouldn't want to write a run-down of such guild structures before we actually saw a bit of the game and preferrably get more infos on how things will work. Not only saves this potential frustration (same as with the infrastructure) but also a lot of work for expectable changes.

Lorn

Lorn avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

Below is a link to a list of all the current Star Citizen Organizations (that's what guilds are called in SC) currently open for recruitment. It also provides a rudimentary structure guide that defines your organization.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/38877/the-big-post-of-organizations-v3-0#latest

I would agree with Mauzi in that we should keep the guild as open as possible (although outright piracy might be something that would need to be banned). And I don't think anyone would object to Roguey being CEO. I remember reading somewhere that CIG will be allowing the formation of Organizations on their site before they release the dogfighting module.

The Org would of course need a name...how about Roguey & Sons?

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Below is a link to a list of all the current Star Citizen Organizations (that's what guilds are called in SC) currently open for recruitment. It also provides a rudimentary structure guide that defines your organization.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/38877/the-big-post-of-organizations-v3-0#latest

I would agree with Mauzi in that we should keep the guild as open as possible (although outright piracy might be something that would need to be banned). And I don't think anyone would object to Roguey being CEO. I remember reading somewhere that CIG will be allowing the formation of Organizations on their site before they release the dogfighting module.

The Org would of course need a name...how about Roguey & Sons?
- Lorn

Thank you for that link, didn't have time yet to read up much about what exists already.

In regards to leadership: Nothing against Roguey being "leader", but I'd think that we firstly need to define what kind of leadership we want. As said above, I would be more for a voting/election style (participants depending on the scope of the vote) while the leaders and sub-leaders would form a council to handle strategic decisions, and only the agreed-on operations should be freely decided by each sub-leader according to their position.

Also, for this to work I'd strongly recommend to firstly gather the skills for each of us and the roles that are required, making sure there's people e.g. for...

General corporation needs

[*]the manager types (that'd be me rather)
    [*]diplomats
    [*]public relations
    [*]recruiting
    [*]internal affairs
    [*]financials
    [*]explorers/scouts
    [*]special ops
    [*]local leaders for smaller branch locations that locally do a 1-in-all job
    [*]generalists who just want fun

Civil needs

[*]infrastructure and factories
    [*]technology and research
    [*]trading

Military needs

[*]offence & expansion
    [*]defence
    [*]training
    [*]logistics and supplies

Well, you get the drift, basically all you need to run a state and not just a company - post if you think something is missing !

People should be able to apply to each of these roles according to their skills, while I consider it an n:m relation. Only with such list at hand - we best have a form for such to fill for such - and of course knowing who is willing to do what along with the expected playtime, it is wise to make decisions about assigning positions.

In fact, due to timezones we would need multiple people for each position sooner or later - or restrict the organisation to one timezone, which might either not be useful (if we have to cover all timezones due to gameplay needs) or might be required almost to keep the group together. So, having timezone information and typical playtimes is another important key information we need about all members, at least the leader types.

On another note: I don't think that it is wise to name a company in a space environment after an individual, while the name on the other hand should reflect what/how the group is and wants. I am with you that I'd prefer a rather "good" group, though piracy at times is a means of pro-active defence and may not be excluded at 100% e.g. for special ops.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well the name is really up to you guys, my suggestion is that not something too 'over-powering' (if that makes sense) and not solely based on one name.

as for the roles and that, rethinking about what you guys said I can understand why a strong guild plan would be better idea in the long-term. I must emit that I havnt been following star-citizen all that closely, and I probably need to spend a bit more time learning about it.

With the roles above, is SC going to be that deep? ie. to offer roles such as diplomats, manager, scouts etc.? It just seem a lot to offer in a game. Maybe its just me being doubtful but during the past year ive seen quite a few games not live up to the hype - so I learning to be careful.

« 1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.