GUILD - If You are Star Citizen fan - read me!

Home Board Index » Star Citizen » GUILD - If You are Star Citizen fan - read me!

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

With the roles above, is SC going to be that deep? ie. to offer roles such as diplomats, manager, scouts etc.? It just seem a lot to offer in a game. Maybe its just me being doubtful but during the past year ive seen quite a few games not live up to the hype - so I learning to be careful.
- Roguey

These roles are hardly anything that the game mechanics will provide (especially since every guild has different needs) but something that should be part of the guild's structure planning. It's not like any game mechanics could "make you" a certain role anyways, but it's your actions to actually perform those tasks. All we need is a free guild title/rank system, preferrably with guild asset control and access rights - these basics I am sure will be covered in a space game that boasts guilds to own sectors and players owning multiple stations personally already.

So, I see no problem here - such structures even worked in old Ultima Online, it's all about living/playing them.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Ah, thanks for explaining. I did think that would be a lot of roles the game knew about if so. So with roles, how would we go about them? ie. telling a person to do something.. ie. you been ask to scout somewhere, or someone putting their name down for the role? ie. someone in command would ask for some scouts, then people could put their name down for the role. the second would be probably friendly approach.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Ah, thanks for explaining. I did think that would be a lot of roles the game knew about if so. So with roles, how would we go about them? ie. telling a person to do something.. ie. you been ask to scout somewhere, or someone putting their name down for the role? ie. someone in command would ask for some scouts, then people could put their name down for the role. the second would be probably friendly approach.
- Roguey

A role is different from a task in that you are comitting yourself to a role to be available for tasks of the respective area (as your time permits). So, you might e.g. have various roles and pick up (or get assigned) tasks as needed. The roles merely are ment to "categorize" people in a way that you know who can/wants to do what.

Obviously, several - and especially leader type - roles imply more than "being able to" but to actually get things done actively. This allows everyone to pick responsibilities and roles to their liking, while allowing the leaders to get a firm grasp of the "staff at hand".

To get back to your example: The civilian leader heard about a new system somewhere and figures that a scout is needed. Who to ask ? E.g. both the trader fan a or the PvP fan will give him a middle-finger and cannot be bothered. But there's explorer type players too - those should have signed up for the explorer/scout role, and then the leader knows who to contact and ask if they are free.

This kind of personell management is pretty much standard in any larger company/organization, if it is well-driven. It is mandatory if you want to be successful really, else you just have a bunch of ants in your guild who do whatever stuff is going on, but either people need to do what they don't like, or it even doesn't get done.

This kinda "internal affairs" role is one of my favorite "things" for which I obviously apply by writing all this: Someone responsible for proper structures to get things in shape. (Depending on time constraints I'd like to do some more roles in this area.)

P.S.: Good discussion this ! I suggest to soon enough get a separate guild forum area please though, and just leave a recruitment post in the public area.

Lorn

Lorn avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

Found the video that has some information on Organizations in SC. Skip ahead to the 51 minute mark.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Wow, that's planned to offer much more than I ever saw anywhere else yet. It basically saves us the need for any own infrastructure for communication and what-not while offering the structure (even with 4 choices) that ones needs to run something properly.

So... thank you for that link !

Sadly the sound is really bad, but the graphics tell enough already to love it. *wants!*

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

oh, big thanks for the link, that explained a lot!

It sounds like they planning a lot of the infrastructure for us already.

Ranalune

Ranalune avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

Thx for the link, quite informative Smile

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

This game just keeps blowing my mind in the depth and the expanse it is. I love the fact that all that is done on the organization page, carries over into the game. I say we all need to make an organization!!

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Talking about infrastructure... if the above video stuff comes true, all we need would be a voice chat server, it seems. That is, I strongly assume that such is needed in a way, at least for combat. I know it's a while to go, but rather be prepared than late: Does anyone have such already somewhere ? On my own line and server I could only offer mumble for about 15 people max, but in return that'd be encrypted and NSA safe. :p

Another note for those willing to pledge $150 and $250 today (PST time): TRON told me that there's two ship packages that still have the LTI included for everyone: Banu Merchantman & Xa'in Scout Ship. Still waiting for more to see from the game myself before pledging that much though.

Also a noteworthy thought: Depending on how many people we will be and considering that most of us probably are not that knowledged in SC, we might actually join up with some nice and helpful people like TRON as a division within their company if the goals matchs mainly, allowing for needed assistance & infos. Just saying - this isn't necessarily bad in a game like SC, but instead could offer quite a bit of benefits just like in Eve. Obviously such discussion is for later, just putting out the thought.

EDIT: TRON will be solo for quite a while to explore the game, but the idea is general. Of course we can do the game exploration as a small group too.

Fragmentality

Fragmentality avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

The Idris-P was for sale too for $1250, but I think they're sold out already.

Staberind

Staberind avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

If I may add a little to this discussion, I am tempted with sc, Rogueys hanger pics basically sealed the deal, my background is, of course, The X games, but prior to that : Eve, I had two accounts, one as a director (of two) in a corp that was basically a "help nubbins out" type thing, we are space communists with a noblesse obligé, unfortunately, my interest in eve declined to a point where paying anything to spin in stations seemed silly.

The other, well, a couple of days after Margeret Thatcher, Gallente, joined GoonFleet as a newbee, GF dissolved bob, created a new corp called band of brothers, and took Delve.
That was an interesting event.

Some things I learned during my time in eve; with a trustworthy, multi-talented team, these sandbox games can be amazing, however, as with all online games, we get to see the best and worst bits of human misbehaver, any guild, corp, org or whatever needs to be mindful of access to assets, and what activities they condone by those flying their banner, while the personality of the group will be diverse as it grows, with good leadership and interesting goals, life is good.

The first corp, Red Fleet, was usually a peaceful missioning, indy corp, we supported new players, gave them ships and helped them learn the ropes, we got ripped off a couple of times, and we did the same a couple of times, we avoided wars by having a few indy corps to shuffle to, however, missioning and industrial stuff gets pretty stale after a few months, so, we had a steady stream of people joining and leaving.

GoonFleet were, to put it simply, space psychopaths, albeit well organised, funded, and continuously in a state of total war, they too, helped new, (goon only,) players a great deal, providing ships and builds, co-ordinating many nefarious deeds. their larceny was a thing of legend, however, unless they had a unifying goal, they usually concentrated on scamming and fighting.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well hopefully SC will be great, and your decision wasnt totally based on my input. The only thing that worries me a bit is that SC seems a bit too good? maybe im just being cautious. However after some of the recent games I guess its understandable why I feel like that.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

The only thing that worries me a bit is that SC seems a bit too good? maybe im just being cautious. However after some of the recent games I guess its understandable why I feel like that.
- Roguey

"Some" recent games... yes, I hear ya, hehe.

Well, if 10% of what they say SC is to be becomes true, we get like 10x X³, while XR is about 10% of X³. So... I guess that I could most likely still live with them not reaching their promises - as long as it's a stable game. Smile

Lorn

Lorn avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

Further information has been posted on the RSI site about organizations. The ability to create one will be rolled out in January.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13418-All-About-Organizations

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Its funny how we were talking about organizations the other day, and now RSI makes a big news post about it. It does look rather good how its done - 6 selectable ranks. Any suggestions for the 6 ranks?

« 1 2 3 4 »

You need to log-in to post here.