A wiki...?

Home Board Index » Chit-chat » A wiki...?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Ive been thinking about making a wiki during the past few days: a way of allowing you guys to write content about stuff. What do you think, and would you add any content to it?

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I like the idea.

What "I" might be able to add;
--some information about ships that I'm familiar with from personal use.
--also the weapons/missile load-outs for different ships that I find useful for various situations/missions.
--information about, and tactical use for, weapons and missiles.
--software upgrades; which are a "must", "nice ones" to have, and those not needed..carrier software on M3's & TS
--pointers on finding/collecting abandoned ships.

Some things that I'd like to see included;
--information about the various Planets seen in the game.
--some (excepted) details about the various Races, some racial history, historical Race relations.
--X Universe in-game history...progression from the first X game through the upcoming one(s).

Just some stuff that pops into my head...

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Didn't we have Wiki here before? I'm sure I have seen it around here somewhere...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

@The White tiger
Yeah we did have one, however the spam-bots took a liking to it and spam the heck out of it. This caused me to shut-down the wiki. Its often near impossible to link existing code to my code, ie. make a wiki use my log-in system.

So for the wiki, im thinking of simpler system. The big wiki's keep multiple copies of every page (when someone changes it). So any bad content can be rolled back. This means you need a lot of staff to keep an eye on things (encase people spam it), lots of space and more complex code to manage all the pages.

However I dont want to make it as complex as that (nor require as many staff).. so Im thinking more like any changes have to be approved. Once approved the page is safe (and is shown).

Anyone interesting helping, can have staff access (if not already), so they can approve things. I know its a limited wiki (forcing people to approve content) however it would allow you guys to add content to the site, without me.

TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

If you will do it, then of course I'll moderate it and keep spam out of the place, which is already my job. Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well the Wiki is being worked on, however I have no idea how long it will take. I do hope there are some people keen to add some content to it, as it be a shame if nothing got added to it.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm sure once it's launched others will become more/openly interested.
Also with the beginning of summer here in the North online things are a little slower, on most sites I visit.

Needing 'approval' for new content will definitely keep the spam and incorrect information out, along with the plain old bullshit.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well its gonna take sometime, as there's quite a lot to do there. I think ive got edit existing page more or less done (staff can approve changes and the wiki updates).

I have started the code to add new pages, however im not too happy how its working atm. I need to think of a better way of doing it. Hopefully with those functions done, then Ill get image uploading done. After-that then the Wiki wont be too far from testing, if anyone wants to help out testing?

I would say its more complex than the forum atm, however once done should allow you guys to add your own stuff.

Sha1hulud

Sha1hulud avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 11 years ago.

I would be willing to add my very meager knowledge of this massive game to a wiki! It would really help to further the community feeling at roguey.co.uk (this really nifty site I found)

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm willing to give a hand as long as you're not talking about writing code and all that heavy computer stuff.
I was a moderator on another site for awhile which permitted me to edit, merge, block, and accept posts, membership approval, combine and split threads,...stuff like that.

If the work required will be more 'involved' then this old guy can handle, I'm definitely up for adding some content once it's up and running.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

@cjm3fl There wont be any code to write as such. I will make the wiki use code like the forum (UBB). So hopefully this is okay?

@Sha1hulud Any adds would be great, after-al a wiki isnt created by one person.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I think a Wiki would be a great idea, and I for one would be more than willing to contribute to it Smile

@Roguey: Are you intending the Wiki to cover all X games?

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well the Wiki system is kind-of in its second version now - I didnt like how it was laid out before. I am trying to keep the system easy to use, although it can be hard at times.

@Roguey: Are you intending the Wiki to cover all X games?
- Kirlack

Anything really, whatever you guys would like to cover... although with many x-fans here, no doubt will be a bit of x stuff in there Smile

[update] edit and add page(s) is more or less done now. I have finish off the add-page, so it actually creates the page.
However im not very sure how to do images uploading atm.. well I know how to do it, just how to get it to work with the wiki.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well heres a update on the wiki so far:

- Editing pages should be done now, people can edit them and submit them for approval,
(the editor looks much like the forum one, with a few changes)

- The Adding of new pages is done, you can add a page to the wiki, then edit it and submit for approval,
(support for nested folders has been done, with a path explorer, so you can add multiple areas, ie. /x3ap/help/myguide/ships/)

- Approval system done.. staff,+ can approve edits and adds (adds creates folders/files on the server),

- Updated parser, to include extra UBB for Wiki (such as [div], [path]),
(Allowing more freedom of design),

- Folder deletion done, although just for me encase someone wants me to remove something from the wiki after approval,

To do:

- image uploading: The easiest way for me to do this, is to allow image uploading after new page(s) have been approved. This is because I need a folder to upload the images too and when a new page is sent for approval, it doesnt actually exist on the disk but in the database only. Any pre-approval pages can have images uploaded straight away.

- Help section: As I know it maybe a bit confusing, but if broken down enough should allow more people to use the wiki (which is always a good idea). The system atm can be summed into 2 sections: edit (which is fairly simple), and add (which are pages which dont exist).

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I realise I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I thought I'd pitch in anyway.
I'm liking the idea of the wiki. It seems to me that many people have been trying to build something like it for ships by posting comments on each of the pages. A more consolidated knowledge base will be nice.

I do have one suggestion. I suggest that in conjunction with the community sourced wiki that there be protected zones for entries from the "official" encyclopaedia, which is provided as bonus content to all those who bought the X Superbox on Steam. I have a copy, if required. I guess that technically it would be copyright infringement, if then again if Egosoft cared much about that this site would have vanished quite a while ago eh? :P

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well, I think having sections from another source would be copyright infringement (especially from something which is sold). So it wouldnt be a good idea to include such information. Anyway, the wiki allows anyone to contain their own content, so why would you need to copy from something else?

as for protected areas, well the whole wiki is. Staff, mods, admins have to approve everything. So nothing should be replaced unless its okay.

It seems to me that many people have been trying to build something like it for ships by posting comments on each of the pages. A more consolidated knowledge base will be nice.

For me, its great to allow the site to expand without me needing to do it. Im not saying that im going anywhere (nor the sites have to change or anything). I just feel its great that the site has expanded enought to offer you guys a chance to create content. Surely for all this is a good thing - as long there are people willing to do it.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.