ED - Entering "Ships for Sale" info

Home Board Index » Website suggestions » ED - Entering "Ships for Sale" info

oldfella54

oldfella54 avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Hi Roguey,

Entering the "Ships for Sale" info for each station can be a bit long-winded - especially as for the most part the prices of the same ship are identical in most places, but you have to rekey them each time.

To speed up the entry of the data, could I suggest that maybe this area of the data input is handled with a set of check boxes or similar?

So, for example, for each ship there would be shipname, default price and checkbox. These three fields could be arranged in columns and rows, across and down the screen in order to save space and to allow for additional ships that FD add at a later stage.

When arriving at a station all you would need to do most of the time is tick the checkbox against each craft type that the station sells. If by any chance the price was different to default, then the price in the default box could also be overwritten.

Would this speed up data entry - and maybe also make us more likely to want to enter the data Smile

Cheers

DHLF

DHLF avatar
Level badge Conqoguey (21)
Posted 9 years ago.

Cool!
There might be a (little) problem with default prices as not anyone has to pay the same for equipment.
Founders shall pay some % less, maybe it is the same with ships?
Perhaps with better reputation prices may also drop a little? Dizzy
Nevertheless the important thing is to know where ships can be bought.
If the prices are somehow different.. who cares Smile

So I would like just to "add" a ship type with a pre-given value.
Things getting too complicated will keep people off using(err. adding) them.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 9 years ago.

I read your post earlier and thought it was a good idea. So I am in the progress of changing it;

Picture

Although please note that this is a work in progress (on my test server). Hopefully this is the idea you were thinking about Smile

oldfella54

oldfella54 avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

That's spot on Roguey, and thanks for taking the idea on board! Setting up the ship yard info will be much quicker.

I fully understand of course that this is work in progress ... there's no mad urgency behind it, just thought anything that encourages data entry can only be for the better.

Good point DHLF makes as well - about price variation. I knew there was some discount for founders, but thought it was limited to a few locations. If its a discount everywhere them the price variations could be more widespread than I anticipated, and then you'd need to start recording lots of different prices for each ship (ie a Founders price, a Joe Public price, a High Rep price etc). I'm not sure this is really required and may not be worth all of the time and trouble required to code for it??

I'm with DHLF - what's important is knowing where the ships are - we can worry about the cost later Smile

... and once again thanks for your efforts.

Cheers for now

DHLF

DHLF avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

@roguey
I am very surprised finding someone who really takes the time to listen to some users as much as you do!
Incredible!!

And I want to state once more: even if I add many suggetions it does not mean you are NOT doing fine.
You are doing fine!

Sometimes I fear you would ban me from your site for my many complaints Read
and here is another..
Isnt it possible to keep prices formatted to the right?
like:
Adder: 87808 CR

instead of
Adder: 87808 CR

It is just a slight visual irritation, nothing important.

[edit]
I forgot to say: that is a great improvement(the new ship tagging thing.)

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

@roguey
I am very surprised finding someone who really takes the time to listen to some users as much as you do!
Incredible!!

And I want to state once more: even if I add many suggetions it does not mean you are NOT doing fine.
You are doing fine!

Sometimes I fear you would ban me from your site for my many complaints
- DHLF

Eh? Ban someone because they offer advice n tips? Im not sure which sites you goto, but not here Smile

Isnt it possible to keep prices formatted to the right?
- DHLF

Done..

I forgot to say: that is a great improvement(the new ship tagging thing.)
- DHLF

Im glad it is, as it made sense. Making it easier for people is never a bad idea.

DHLF

DHLF avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Another boring suggestion:
As entering data is now really fast.. I do get confused by finding the ships due the 3-colum view.

You were so kind to ask us for any improvements..
Please put them just in one column.

I dont know why your picture of the Ship-thing is looking different on my side using iceweasel.
The long name of "Lakon Type 9 Heavy" breaks the sorting so maybe this was another reason i got lost while searching for the checkboxes.

oldfella54

oldfella54 avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

I foresee a problem if it's all in one column - especially if FD add a lot more ships in the future.

The length of the "Lakon Type 9 Heavy" knocks some of the row/column alignments out of place - so maybe if there was more space allotted to the text it may help readability. Also if there was a bit more space after the price field and before the next checkbox??

Otherwise its a great way of getting the data in quickly! Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

what if I changed the ships to an 2 column list? its just if I put it into a single, then it will be rather long list (especially if FD add more ships).

oldfella54

oldfella54 avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

From my perspective the three column approach is OK if there was maybe a little more space for the longer descriptions (ie the bloody "Lakon Type 9 Heavy" !!). But I'm not using Iceweasel so don't know what the impact is.

@Roguey If we (ie you Smile ) added a few more spaces between the price and checkbox would that help. Or alternatively is it easy to add some colour and/or embolden the checkbox field to make it stand out. Or maybe use a smaller font, if space is tight across the screen?

@DHLF What do you think - showing my ignorance as I don't use Iceweasel - would any of these help your problem?

DHLF

DHLF avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

@oldfella54
No problem, users who really wants to use rare browsers have to live with strange things Wink
Maybe I am used to read from topmost item down instead of moving left to right and then one down:
1-2-3
4-5-6
7-8-9

1-4-7
2-5-8
3-6-9

You were right, those "Lakon type 9 heavy" breaks the forms only on iceweasel.

But: Iceweasel is not "eating" numbers, like firefox:
Long prices like those of the Anaconda are "cut" by firefox: 1469694 (the 51 are hidden..)

DHLF

DHLF avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

In spite of being too correct..
As a non-former(shame on me!) some given prices are different:
Vipers costs 142.931 (pre given:146.131)
Hauler costs 52.720(pre given:56000)

Other prices looks the same. Strange.

oldfella54

oldfella54 avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 9 years ago.

Yes, the default values for Viper/Hauler differ from the general values I've seen as DHLF mentions. Looks like Roguey has been charged a surcharge in the past!!

I'd assumed that were just some example figures Roguey was using in the messages but I see its proposed as part of the Trade-Helper. Maybe needs a tweak Roguey??? {sorry - I bet you're regretting ever asking for suggestions by now, but we do appreciate what you're doing).

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

hi there,

okay - ive corrected the prices for the two ships (vipers / haulers). I must of got a wrong value somewhere.

I have also adjusted the ship input area now. Using a smaller font and a little change to the padding, hopefully its a bit better.

when you guys talk about iceweasel, what is that? a location? a browser or something?

DHLF

DHLF avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

Thank you OLDFELLA54 for reminding me..
It seems I often forget to thank Roguey for his efforts..
so if I wrote in the past in a "rude" way with just "I want this or that".. demanding things..
I really be thankful for his work Nod

DHLF

DHLF avatar
Posted 9 years ago.

HEy! Iceweasel is a browser used on linux machines.. it IS firefox but due to legal issues they had to rename it.
Before someone asks: NO I dont run E:D using wine..

I hated those crappy Win8 on my laptop so I replaced it with Jessie.
Laptop is used for "communication" and looking at Roguey's site,
PC is degraded as game machine Smile

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.