Custom Ships HELP

Home Board Index » X3: Reunion » Scripts and Modding » Custom Ships HELP

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there,

sorry I havnt been helping out much - my internet been off for 2 days (nearly), and I could see it still messing around. I have to be quick when it is working, as 5mins later its gone again! Its been really *beep during the past week or so now.

Its good to see killertide helping you, as he knows the modelling side of things better than me. I am more of a scene creator/mod leader, than a modeller. I struggle in gMax/3DMax.

If you do wish to write any guides, then ill be quite willing to host them on either the X3 or X3TC sites (although no point hosting it twice). Probably the best way to write such a guide is to do it text, or UBB for me to convert into html to fit into the site. Images can be added too, just put some way of letting me know where they go in the text like [picture2] or something. I guess youtube video could also be added (if required). When finished, email me with a zip with all the text file / contents. I could see you offering a unique view for a guide, as many modellers bound to get these questions, without a 'newbies guide to modelling for X3/TC'.

ktide

ktide avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

... without a 'newbies guide to modelling for X3/TC'.
- Roguey

I thought I made one Cry

Well, it doesn't really cover everything but it's close enought isn't it?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I thought I made one Cry Well, it doesn't really cover everything but it's close enough isn't it?
- ktide

oh, well I did mean that sometimes people look at guides in different ways. For example (being an experienced modeller) you might expect the reader to know something, where a new modeller may not know. Ie. looking at a guide from another point of view. If that made sense?

ps. Dont say your not an experienced modeller killertide, as you done some great designs for ships!

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

I mend more for the custom texturing part. Your guide is more for engine effects.

So I got my textures working now very happy with the look now.

My motor still will won't work my scene path is the same that is posted but it won't load in game, even with a vanilla fx if us an argon motor it still won't load.

Any ideas

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

That's great! Congrats on the new ship Smile

There isn't much to learn about textures, and at the time i builded that tutorial, i didn't knew that much about them either so, i'll try and set one up just for textures like ways to texture, tools and some tips.

Now back to the enines.

Have you confirmed that the path for the engines is correct?

If you are using an existing engine effect, it should work. Don't get me wrong ( as in i have to make stupid questions to see what you'v done so don't be offended ) but let's review on how did you "copy/pasted" those engines:

Pls note that by engine i mean the effect, the blow torch thing you see that has the -92 dds texture.

- Did you import the ship that has the engines in the vanilla game or imported the actuall engine effect ( the blow torch when you speed up ) and made the motor part to fit your ship?

- Did you made sure you had the pivots set right on the engine?

- Are your weapons and camera pointing forward like they should or did you had to turn 180 degrees for them to be set right?

I know they're silly questions but i have to ask Smile

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

For the custom motor I imported the motor closest to what i wanted and then scaled the uv joints to the shape I wanted. What it was, was a scene entry

C 28673; N Beffects engines fx_engine_swordfish_28673

If I don't have those numbers that I took from the argon m5 the effects won't show up for whatever reason.

The camera was an error in my tships file I didn't have the the pathway set as camera dummy.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

surely the scene entry should be more like:

P 11; B effects\engines\fx_engine_argon_M3; C 28673;

seems your missing the B entry in the scene. Ill have to look into the forum code to get them those darn slashes working!

[update] forward slashes should appear correct now Smile

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

yes I am just didn't post the B entry as the numbers were not attached to the B entry, but what is the deal with the numbers?

P 9; B effects\engines\fx_engine_swordfish; C 28673; N Beffects\engines\fx_engine_swordfish_28673; b // idx 9
{ 0x2002; 0; 190; -3372; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; 1; } // 0

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

yes I am just didn't post the B entry as the numbers were not attached to the B entry, but what is the deal with the numbers?
- Outlaw_no1

It's coding, location and type Smile

Ignore them but don't touch them or it may crash/not work.

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

That's why my engine fx was not working. Just trying to figure out what .fx effect is the least glossy I have played with the argon and the split. Will a bump map lower the gloss fx, and if so how do I make a good bump map? I did search the interwebs for bump map making.

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I'll send you a good material code for the engine effect.

MATERIAL6: 0; 0x2000000; 1; engine.fx; 37; diffcompression;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; bumpcompression;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; speccompression;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; lightcompression;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; nofiltering;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; autofree;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; Tex2;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; TexAnimStartU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; TexAnimStartV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; TexAnimEndU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; TexAnimEndV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; TexAnimDuration;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; TexAnimRotation;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; TexAnimOriginU;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.500000; TexAnimOriginV;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.500000; Brightness;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.000000; contrast;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.000000; saturation;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.000000; hue;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; colormatrix;SPTYPE_BOOL;0; g_ColorWriteEnable;SPTYPE_LONG;15; g_Wrap;SPTYPE_LONG;0; g_CullMode;SPTYPE_LONG;2; g_AlphaBlendEnable;SPTYPE_LONG;1; g_BlendOp;SPTYPE_LONG;1; g_SrcBlend;SPTYPE_LONG;2; g_DestBlend;SPTYPE_LONG;2; g_ZEnable;SPTYPE_LONG;1; g_ZWriteEnable;SPTYPE_LONG;0; g_ALPHATESTENABLE;SPTYPE_LONG;0; g_AlphaValue;SPTYPE_FLOAT;1.000000; t_FilterTypeDiffuse;SPTYPE_LONG;2; t_SamplerAddressMode;SPTYPE_LONG;3; t_SamplerMaxAnisotropy;SPTYPE_LONG;8; t_MipMapLODBias;SPTYPE_FLOAT;0.000000; t_DiffuseTexture;SPTYPE_STRING;-92.dds; t_MinFilterTypeDiffuse;SPTYPE_LONG;2;

All you have to do is rename the diffuse texture, in the 2nd last line with the one you're using, and u're all set.

Engine effects are all about light, no bumps in them, not in mine anyway but to create a bump the steps are easy:

- pop open the image you wish to make the bump with photoshop.

- Turn image into grayscale.

That's about it really, that will create a low bump you can use, if you whant to place a harder bump, just follow this tutorial i found on the web:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5469555_create-bump-maps.html

Lemme know who it works out Smile

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Ya I got the motor working it was the missing random numbers that got me. The Ship for the most part looks good I am just finding the ships is too glossy and you lose some of the texture detail to the gloss and was wondering if bump mapping would limit that as well as what .fx set was less glossy. I am currently using the Split.fx setting. I will try out making a bump map tonight see how it goes.

*** Bumpmap works the textures are more detailed now.

Has anyone had any success getting the little turning jets to work?

Tried it like so

P 11; B v\00566; C 32; N Bv\00566_32bi; b // idx 11
{ 0x2002; -432; 71; -545; 0.250000; -1.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; 1; } // 0

and like so

P 11; B v\00566; C 32; N B 566_32bi; b // idx 11
{ 0x2002; -432; 71; -545; 0.250000; -1.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; 1; } // 0

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I dont normally bother adding turning jets to scene, as they can take forever to do. However done right they can look really good. The problem is your syntax, which should look like this:

P 12; B 566; C 72; N B566_72bn; b

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Got them working it looks great. Next part of the mod custom weapons. Got 99% of the first weapon in game. they work do the the damage I want fx's and sound all good. Just the little name problem. In the command sections the weapon shows up as I called it. Once I have it and mount it on the ship, I get =idTextnotfound= in the hud on the cockpit. I edited tlasers and 440001 to add my new weapon, just wont show in the hud any thoughts?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

did you replace or add to tlasers? as both X3/TC have a maximum amount, so you normally end up replacing a gun to get it to work correctly.

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

You need to log-in to post here.