Custom Ships HELP

Home Board Index » X3: Reunion » Scripts and Modding » Custom Ships HELP

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

So I followed this tutorial http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=130330. Now X3 does werid things. No keyboard or mouse interaction, a lot of textures are missing. I see the tutorial here has alot more manual editing then the other one, I think I might star over using your tutorial today and see if that works. The only x3 file I am editing is the TShip a 440001 for the text. I am using the x3 plugin manager to try and make a script installer, when I load my _scene.bod file and then try and edit it it crashes out. So thats my best guess as to where the issue is. Help would be great!

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

so using the methed on this page I get a max script error

DBOX2> Loading body aliases
DBOX2> Error - Cannot open file C:Program Files (x86)EGOSOFTx3 decompressed    ypesBodyData.txt
DBOX2> Loading scene aliases
DBOX2> Error - Cannot open file C:Program Files (x86)EGOSOFTx3 decompressed    ypesCutData.txt
DBOX2> Loading scene file "C:Program Files (x86)EGOSOFTx3decompressedobjectsshipsargonswordfishII_Scene.bod"
DBOX2> Error - line: 6, col: 13: Path: Invalid Body flag specification '0': flag must NOT be followed by ';'
DBOX2> scene: loaded 0 path(s)
DBOX2> file loaded with errors

when trying to load my _scene back into max.

What am I doing wrong?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there and welcome to the site,

okay, my first question have you extract all of the dat/cats to a certain folder (start from 01, then work upwards). Then tell dbox where there are - if your modelling you will need to do this.

also make sure your saving/loading in the correct file types too, as a scene file should always be uncompressed, however parts can be bod's or bob's - confusing I know.

One easy way of crashing X3/TC (or having things look weird) is by not having the correct texture definitions. To test this you could copy 'n paste all MATERIAL6: from another bod (like the argon nova). X3/TC can be very temperamental about textures.

I hope that helps somewhat. Posting ur scene file might help - please dont post bod's here - they are massively long.

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I have a working directory and I have told dbox where it is in 3ds max under dbox2 global.

I have been able to get it exported and working in X3 now, however the ship is invisible same with the custom engine. All of the hardpoints work as the dummy guns show up.

Top of my scene file

/# Exported with dbox2 1.11 at 10/21/2011 10:59:33 AM

VER: 6;

P 0; B ships argon SwordfishII; N Bships argon SwordfishII; b // idx 0
{ 0x2002; 0; 0; 0; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; 1; } // 0

P 1; B effects engines fx_engine_Swordfish; N Beffects engines fx_engine_Swordfish; b // idx 1
{ 0x2002; 0; -233; -3939; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; 1; } // 0

P 2; B effects engines fx_engine_emitter; C 1; N Beffects engines fx_engine_emitter_1b; b // idx 2
{ 0x2002; 0; -252; -3984; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; 1; } // 0

There are slashes in the names just the forum won't show them

If I import it back into 3ds max everything is where it sould be its just in game the ship is missing

If I move the files manually over from my working dir to the game dir and try and import the scene there I am missing the ship. Seems strange because I let dbox make all the pathways

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there,

thanks for posting the scene file - as its often hard to work out what people are doing without some extra info. It can also be hard to judge how experienced you are with X3/TC modelling too. So the more information, the better.

To me the scene file looks fine, although you dont seem to have a camera point C1 - the ship will work fine, however when you enter it, your be placed at 0,0,0 which is normally inside the ship. You can do the camera point 2 ways: an invisible camera (the way I recommend) or by editing type/Components (which is pain in the rear).

as for the invisible components, it sounds like something to do with the cat/dat side of things, or the actual models.

With the dat, make sure everything in the correct places. A screen-shot of modmanger would help me, if you want me to have a look. This is what I think it is, as one miss-spelt name can cause nothing to appear.

however its a component issue, you could try compressing the objects with doubleshadows X2BC. Normally if that doesnt want to compress the bod/bod, then there is a good reason. However X3/TC normally crashes if it doesnt like it (without no warning or message).

X2BC compresses objects (bods), so X3/TC can load them in much faster. When you deal with large complex ships, the load time can be 30 seconds or more, but when compressed can be a second or less. X2BC will work for X3 and TC.

However I think it will be something simple, like paths. You have selected the dat on the mod package screen right?

ps. It might be worth checking Killertide's ship making guide: page 7.

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I followed the guide, however when I export it and then try and reimport the scene it gives me the error I listed in my second post. So I went back to the orginal way of replacing a stock _scene.bod with my ship and motor instead of the standered X3 ship.

Here is my .cat http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/modkor.jpg/

I am almost 100 percent sure it is a problem with my scene.

I do have my Camera set as a Dummy prop but it is at index 26 for some reason

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

looks like a error on the last entry in the dat:

objects/ships/argon/SwordfishII.pbd/SwordfishII.pbd

It should read:

objects/ships/argon/SwordfishII.pbd

Hopefully that should fix it Smile

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Nope still invisible in x3 like I said it will load up fine in max 2010. The custom motor effect is invisible in x3 the only things that are not are the weapon dummies. Anyway to send you my cat file and have you look at it?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

you should be able to find my email address here. Then ill have a look for you.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

hello there,

I thought id post the answers here, encase anyone else has a similar problem - and this post may help you.

The Roguey way (the guide is actually written by Killertide, not me)

On first look, the scene file isnt correct. The paths have the wrong lash, but the comments use the correct /. X3 wont like the lashes around the wrong way, and will CTD.

After correction, the ship was still invisible. I noticed you using little and big letters, as well as letters for numbers. I highly suggest you only use small letters, and numbers for letters. Often this can lead to confusion.

Okay onto the next thing, as still not working. tships - set the cockpit to same as another argon ship, like the M4. Dont set it to cameradummy! Also, you have a error in turrets, as you set one gun count to 23!

okay... Arhhh! Its the scene file! Just noticed that the comment line is wrong. It should be // for one line comment, not how it is now! After changing:

Picture

I ran out of time, g2g for dinner now.

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Wicked okay so me being stupid

okay... Arhhh! Its the scene file! Just noticed that the comment line is wrong. It should be // for one line comment, not how it is now! After changing:
- Roguey

What comment is this only part I don't understand.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

In the scene file, there is a comment statement on the first line. ie:

/# Exported with dbox2 1.11 from swordfishII.max at 10/22/2011 12:09:23 PM

However its a block comment command! There is no end comment command. So this means the whole scene file acts as one large comment! Ideally this line should be:

// Exported with dbox2 1.11 from swordfishII.max at 10/22/2011 12:09:23 PM

After which your model starts working.

btw, if your adding ships to the game, you should copy another ship, then paste it at the bottom of the types/tship. In tships you have replaced a sip with your own.

This is how ur scene file should look:

Picture

I hope this helps,

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Still broken..... I sent you my most recent .cat

ktide

ktide avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hi Outlaw, welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I caught a nasty sleep fish in my eyes and didn't noticed your call for help ( the excuses people create lool ) but i've read it all now! Lemme help you.

The thing is mate, ship creating in X is not complicated but it must be done carefully, when i started i created a list of things, in a piece of paper, so i didn't forget what i needed to do, and in ordered steps. You prolly don't need that but it's just a thought, but i'll make a list and see if you got all the steps done, let's see.

Wilst creating the model in 3ds or Gmax:

- Make sure the textures are applyed using X materials, by importing one of the ships bod's of the vannila X and pinching the textures.

- Name the ship model with the name you wish it has in game.

- Make sure you have reseted the pivot point properly in 3ds or Gmax.

-Make sure you have reseted X Form before you export the ship BOD.

This will make your ship visible in the game, if your scene file has it well placed in the path you have gave it.

Scene file

- Make sure all the paths are well typed in the scene file, no spaces are allowed.

If you make a mini mod of the ship, only with the cammeradummy placed in ( no weapons or engines ) she will show up now.

Also, make sure you fix your Tships cause if that isn' placed in ( paths wise especialy ), the ship will exist and not be visible at the same time.

Have a review, since i think you forgot to reset X form ( the message you get in the ship's scene file is due to that if i remember it right ).

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Rogue was able to get the ship to show up in game just not textured correctly. I can't even get that far with my _scene file identical to his....

Picture

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

check your email! Smile

oh, and could you set a avatar? as hopefully your be staying around a bit, seeing that large X isnt nice Smile

1 2 3 4 5 »

You need to log-in to post here.