Custom Ships HELP

Home Board Index » X3: Reunion » Scripts and Modding » Custom Ships HELP

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there,

modmanger doesnt compress objects directly, just the file. So your need to use x2bc as it does a special compression for bod/bob's (so they load in very fast). x2bc however can be a little trickly to get the correct parameters, so your probably setup a small batch file to do compression and decompression.

I would paste my batch files, however I lost them moving pc's. Try something like this:

x2bc -c --bob "swordfish2.bod" "swordfish2.bob"

Oh, and you only compress objects not scenes with x2bc! After you compress a object with x2bc, just add it and the scene to your dat/cat with modmanger.

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

I don't know how to setup a bat file. In cmd I pretty much did the same thing, but it crashes out.

ktide

ktide avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

I've been looking in my files for that info but I seem to have missplaced it, it's done with a notepad file, then you place the path to the file in a way i forgot ( ence why I had that in file ) and you save that has a dat file, works like a charm.

You know how to do that Roguey?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

A batch file is just a simple txt file that you rename .bat, inside the bat file write any normal line like in cmd. The advantage of writing a batch file is that if you decide to change something, ie. model2, then all you need to do is to update the batch file, then run it. It also wont disappear in the cmd list.

Im also like killertide, ive lost a bit of the modding tools when transferring pc's (including the x2bc folder). So I dont have the contents of my bat on my pc, however I do rememberer being a pain getting all the parameters correct - x2bc is a bit sensitive.

Outlaw_no1

Outlaw_no1 avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 12 years ago.

I remodeled the ships so I went from close to 60,000 polys to 20,000 that cut things down with out having to compress it.

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I remodeled the ships so I went from close to 60,000 polys to 20,000 that cut things down with out having to compress it.
- Outlaw_no1

Holly crap!

Outlaw, you gotta be more "cheap" on your poli count mate. I know some parts of the ships, especially curves can look really bad in game if they're not nicely round but more polis are not the best way to do it, use your group smoothing groups by object of face ( poli ), they work nicely and save alot of effort to render the model in game.

Can I take a peek at your model m8? See why you need to have more polis in a fighter then i do in my mod's SSD, maybe i can help Smile

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

- Outlaw_no1

You will need to learn how to compress things, as some models will take too long to load in. I really need to get some tools in and explain things better.

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Polygon cruncher is a nice tool, but it's not for free Cry

Desertwind

Desertwind avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hi to you all!
Great work here guys! This is my first post so pls forgive me if i make mistakes. Sorry for my english, is not my native language.
I have a question if i may. It is possible to add an external docking bay to a TS ship? What is the procedure i should follow?
Thank you for youre time,

Yours faithfully,
Desertwind

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hello, Welcome to Roguey's Site.

TS Ship! :P

TS is a transport ship, to add a docking bay you would have to completely re-make the ship (ish) You would have to get some sort of software and make it so the ship has a docking port and then put it back into the game... Calling Roguey.... calling Roguey :P

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

hi there and welcome to the site Desertwind, your English is fine Smile

yes you can add any type of docking points to any ship, as long as you add it (19044 for example) to the scene, then update tships with the correct docking number. You should be able to see a complete list of docking types in types/dummies,

ANIMATEDF_DOCKPORT_FIGHTER = M3/4/5 only,
ANIMATEDF_DOCKPORT_STANDARD = M5/3/4/3 only,
ANIMATEDF_DOCKPORT_HUGESHIP = M1/2/TL

Desertwind

Desertwind avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hi and thank you! I am glad that i have found a community that is still playing X3 reunion.
@bozo64r remakeing the ship is not a big problem, i can handle working with a 3d software (beginner to medium skills) so i can "shape" a ship, my problem is that i can't understand where to place the necessary info in the scene file.
@ Roguey sorry for my question, but where to find the 19044 file/info. This is my first time trying to create/modify docking points.
Thanks for the quick replay.
Yours,
Desertwind

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

No need for all the trouble to make a new ship m8, welcome to the forum btw Smile

Look in you're objects folder ( assuming you have uncatted all the X files into a folder ) and look for the B535_1 object.

Those objects ( the B535 ones ) are docking ports that exist since X2, you can use them. All you have to do is grab a 3D program like 3DS ( expencive ) or Gmax ( Free!!! ) and import the ship model ( look in my tutorial if you have any questions that you can sort, if you don't have luck, ask away ), import the ship's scene, import the part, add it to were you whant it, export the scene again and boom, all done Smile

EDIT: I'll send you a link to a interior hangar tutorial, maybe it helps

- http://www.x3dmod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9

The procedure is the same btw, only difference is you don't need the hangar, only the docking objects.

Desertwind

Desertwind avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 12 years ago.

Very good tutorial, Thx.
And now i have another question: i almost finished my custom ship but I want to balance the ship so it wouldn't be overpowerd ingame. Is there a guide about balancing custom ships, some formulas i can use as a guideline?
Thx again.

« 1 2 3 4 5

You need to log-in to post here.