Save game sharing

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Save game sharing

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

So maybe extend each players time allowance? Make it 2 weeks, or even a month? How much time can we all dedicate to playing X in a given week anyway? I've got 2 kids running around the house, so I don't get to play half as much as I'd like :p

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

I just had an idea about the sharing (which may solve a few things). Instead of uploading the save to the site, what about email? ie.

you goto the community save page and see who's got the save atm. So you decide to help, and put your name down. Now it sends an email to the current save player and says Bob would like the save after you, could you email it to [email address] when youre finished.

the site would have like a blog, so the active player can post about their experiences during the save.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

That sounds really clever! I also restricts it so only one person has it at a time. Would you do it in a first-come first-serve basis? And I defiantly agree that it should be vanilla + bonus pack only, and it stops people hacking in/destroying ships with the cheat pack, and stops them adding in a load of mods that others don't like or think that are unfair.

Plus, every person that receives the save file should always keep a second unedited copy, just incase something goes wrong, or they make it modified; just as a back up save for the next person. Great idea anyway!!! Big grin

P.S: I think you should have a perma link on the site's home page advertising the save game sharing, that could link them to an information and instruction page to make sure they know how to add an additional save, back-up that save and the general rules of participating in the save game sharing; then have a further link that send them to the blog page about the email download.

I will be the one to take you down!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

well ive made a bit of a start on the code now. You can create/edit game-groups. I now need to code the section to manage the queue, which is a bit more trickier depending how I do things. I hope in a few days I should have it ready. Both AP and TC can be supported.

[update] The transferring of saves is pretty much done. The system can queue players up, and when the current person is finished, tell you the next person to pass on the save too. If no-one is in the queue, then it will tell the person to hold onto the save for the time being. If someone does want to carry on later, the site will send an email to them asking them to pass the save on, and where to send it.

The code can be added for X3TC and X3AP, and can handle multiple games for each game.

next bits to do; logging and bogging. A log to see previous gamers, and a blog so you can post about time with the save.

I really hope you guys use it Smile

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 10 years ago.

Roguey, if your site won't like it just throw it on my Skydrive.

If anyone does have a go with my save, let me know how you do. It would be intetersting to see what you guys do, and once you;ve had a play send it back to me.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Roguey, if your site won't like it just throw it on my Skydrive.

Well.. the way over that I thought was using email. Get people to send the game to the next person (hopefully that's okay). My site handles to who send the save onto. This means multiple games can be ran without any problems.

Its still work in process atm (with test-data):

Picture

The middle part will show blogs from previous players (if they wish to blog about their time in the game). atm its just showing the editor (after someone says they are finished with the save), so they can enter in a blog.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Roguey, that looks awesome! Big grin I've just modded my installation of TC, so I'm gonna have to install a fresh one for this Big grin

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 10 years ago.

Can we do one for X3AP as well?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Can we do one for X3AP as well?

Well with the way I'm coding it, you can create multiple games, for any game I add the code too. I will add it to the x3tc and x3ap sites, however x3 and x2 games could be done also. Its really down to you guys, hopefully you will use it when its ready.

I just need to do the blog side of things.

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

This project sounds really far out. If I have grabbed the right end of the stick X3AP vanilla + Bonus Pack will become available when the accompanying blog space is prepared. Cool stuff Roguey!

I am an Alien!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

well I didnt get much done on it today, hopefully I can get the blog part done tomorrow.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Take as long as you need Roguey!! I'd much prefer if it takes a while but works without a hitch than it to be rushed! Really looking forward to it though!!

I will be the one to take you down!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Take as long as you need Roguey!! I'd much prefer if it takes a while but works without a hitch than it to be rushed!
- RandomTank

Agreed. It'd be terrible if we got started on it and then something went wrong :o :p

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

sorry I havnt been posting much; with the weather and other things ive been a bit busy with things. I think tomorrow the code should be ready. So far:

- Add/edit save-games (with level requirement, say you want only level 5+ playing),
- A Queue system that can transfer ownership to the next player. If not a next player, the system can wait and email them when there is a new player,
- A log to track the last 12 players (could be expanded more than 12 if required),
- The option to remove yourself from a queue (if you have changed your mind, before your go),
- A separate blog system that allows the last player to add a blog. This system contains a edit and delete function, plus the ability to comment on blogs.
- Dynamic web-addresses (for friendliness) : /saves/game-#/
- Easily expandable to any game (X3TC / X3AP by default),

The system is still using dummy data, but when its ready ill post on the site and remove the dummy-data.

16 files, 57kb of code so far.

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well if I am on the list when do I get to play? idea sounds great .

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

You need to log-in to post here.