Save game sharing

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Save game sharing

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 10 years ago.

In a recent post I said about backing up saved games which led me on to an idea, a save game sharing area.

If you would like you can upload your save game to something like dropbox, (i don't know it Roguey has some capapbility of it on his website) then share the link. But remember to mention if you have any mods.

This will allow people to see how each other play and may even give each other ideas for their game.

What do you think?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

No replies for this idea Cry
I think that's a great idea, one to see, and get any ideas from, how other players play, and also you could use them as head start sort of file, if you really don't want go through the whole beginning process again... I love the idea, but how would you carry it out? Upload a copy of your .sav file to be available for others to download maybe? If Roguey doesn't want to/can't host a download that sort of file, you could link to a site that can?

I will be the one to take you down!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well for me, a 10-20mb file would add quite a load to the site. A single 10mb download would be like 50-100 pages worth of content, maybe more. The site is stored on a server which runs code, which is always more expensive than in-active space. Atm its running near its limits.

There are quite a few places who offer web-space/drives although. However I dont know much about them to be honest.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Ahh Roguey, my ears are tingling.

What sort of FTP database do you use?

The company I work for, as we have discussed in the past, does web hosting. I am happy to discuss web servers. We offer virtual servers with the capacity for web-space/drives.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

There was an idea on the ES boards some time ago, where players would share their save game. First player would play for a week, then upload the file for the second player, who'd play for a week, upload to the third, and so on and so on. As I recall, they ran it for about a year or so. I think it's a great idea, but it really only works if you're all playing vanilla, or all using the same mods.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

What sort of FTP database do you use?

eh? Confused arent databases and FTP completely two different things? I do use a MySQLi database although.

The company I work for, as we have discussed in the past, does web hosting. I am happy to discuss web servers.

yea we have, and its good that you offered encase anything happens. Im not sure what's going to happen with things atm, there might be a few increases and that. It depends how things go; atm the site is near its limits (until traffic lowers, or an increase plan).

There was an idea on the ES boards some time ago, where players would share their save game. First player would play for a week, then upload the file for the second player, who'd play for a week,

And, there was no over-lap of saves? woh, I bet they got really far? i bet they didnt get the x-ranks although?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

And, there was no over-lap of saves? woh, I bet they got really far? i bet they didnt get the x-ranks although?
- Roguey

I don't know all the details, but I think they had certain rules in place, like not going to war with a given faction, only using certain mods (if any), so I doubt there was any overlap, if they were serious about it. I think TTD was one of the players, he'd likely know more.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

eh? arent databases and FTP completely two different things? I do use a MySQLi database although.
- Roguey

I think I should have put an 'and' between FTP and database :P

I say we do it, a week each with a save game, no script editor no mode, just a vanilla game which we can all rotate on. I'm happy to put it on my Skydrive, and share it around.

EDIT: Well here is my save game, this game has no extra mods. The script editor has been activated.

Your a mercenary turned trader turned assassin, you have a self sustainable complex selling Energy Cells, you have two trader selling the Energy Cells and occasionally Ore. You own your own sector with two HQs. Enjoy.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4A9733023FADF512!264&authkey=!AKXTZYB9jvFiPfo

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

*A wild Lurker appears*
That actually sounds like a lot of fun, and something I'd also be interested in. The theme Kirlack mentioned sounds great. If the players give little blogs about their week's adventures, that sounds like something that could get some traction going.

You own your own sector with two HQs. Enjoy.

- bozo64r

Wait, what? I don't remember being allowed two PHQs without scripts or the freight exploit. Is this legit?

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

*SPOILERS* You get a second one from the Corporation Troubles Plot, you get to choose one from the three designs of corporate HQ's, for about 25-30 mill credits. Pretty sure it works in the same way as the normal PHQ otherwise...

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

*SPOILERS* You get a second one from the Corporation Troubles Plot, you get to choose one from the three designs of corporate HQ's, for about 25-30 mill credits. Pretty sure it works in the same way as the normal PHQ otherwise...
- RandomTank

Nah it works just like a trading station.. An overpriced one at that.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

How many of you are keen on the idea of save-sharing?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I'm definitely up for it! But could we possibly do one for AP and TC? I'm not the biggest fan of AP...

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I'm intrigued, but I only have TC, so my options are limited :p Also, I'd only want to play vanilla, not into doing it with mods. Bonus pack is a must though Big grin

Seygantte

Seygantte avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

I agree with Kirlack. Vanilla + Bonus pack

ಠ_ರೃ My monocle and I disapprove ♋
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

hmm.. I could write some code to manage the save. ie. a way to set an status of the current game; who is currently playing etc. ie. Bob is playing it until 30th.

The comment system could be tagged-on, so a log could be added.

the actual save is a bit of a problem for me. If its around the 20mb mark (which is normal?). So its played 4 times a month (so each player has it for a week). Thats 8 times its moved (up/downloaed). 8 x 20 = 160mb / month. That's not too bad, but could start to add up if multiple games are running, like for X3TC and X3AP. I reckon youre looking around the 500mb / month mark for 2 games. That's if there is no failed up/downloads or people just taking a peek.

1 2 3 4 5 »

You need to log-in to post here.