Questions by Redheart, Answers by you

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Questions by Redheart, Answers by you

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

This thread is for questions asked by myself about Albion Prelude. I have just started playing this after playing TC for a while. While most of my questions have been answered there (THANK YOU!) I figured I would start this just so I have a place to ask them here.

Thank you all in advance for helping me learn this new game. I assume it is mostly just like TC so there wont be that many questions lol.

1-I started playing the Argon plot line...the top selection, I am on the front lines. My question is, what is the top fighter to have? And yes I am looking for your opinion as I know fighters are different to each person, lol.

Thanks!!

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

I have no practical experience of AP, however from what I've read the primary plot line gives you a few very good free ships, including an M3+ super heavy fighter prototype. I'm not sure how many hoops you'll have to jump through to get it, but from what I've read it should carry you through a lot of the rest of the game Smile

You've started as an Argon Patriot, right? So you start with the Elite? I'd recommend an upgrade as soon as possible, but then I hate the Elite with a passion Wink

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

At least starting with something better than a tea-tray with a popgun (X-2 AND later games) is a start! AP isn't the hardest kickoff in the X series.

I am an Alien!
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Pffft, you can say that again Alpha! Frikking X2 on EASY gave you a 'fully' equipped Disco, (fully being used very loosely) it gave you: 2 GIRE's, 3 1mW shields and basic software, not even fight command though! Medium and Hard were even worse, as you get worse weapons and less shields!
And that's not even mentioning X:BTF, which was 100cr (which you needed to pay back!) and a ship with NO equipment apart from a single shield... They really chucked you in the deep end there!

What's up with the Elite eh Kirlack? It's not so bad, sure it's a bit on the sluggish side, but packs a decent punch and has a turret! At least the Enhanced Elite is much faster, for only a couple of units off the cargo bay...

I will be the one to take you down!
Zipmeister

Zipmeister avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

The Spitfire is a really fast fighter. (But it's Terran from Aldrin Area)
Springblossom (M6) is more like a fighter than it's M6 siblings.. Fast and Maneuverable.
Commonwealth, I'd say a Mamba variant. Mamba Raider is fastest, has only 1 25MJ shield but has a rear turret that can be set for missile defense.
It all depends on what you are looking for.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh the Springblossom feels a bit like cheating; its an M6 with like 300m/s - which can quickly whiz around other ships. You cant really class it has a fighter, since its an M6. It is also a Terran ship.

Normally Terran ships are not as good as their commonwealth version, mainly cos of the weapons; the Terran weapons are very slow to fire/re-fire. Maybe some people like them like that, however for me most of my shots miss.

ps. If youre doing the Argon plot line, I wouldnt worry too much. You get a nice reward sooner or later Smile

redheart

redheart avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Yea, I tend to stay away from the springblossom. It just feels like your cheating with it. Right now I do have the Centaur, nice powerful ship but too damn slow, the Argon Discoverer was the second ship you get, nice and fast when your upgraded it but the guns are like pop guns to me and in a war zone you tend to blow up real fast what with the small shield, my favorite so far is the firs ship you obtain, the Nova Prototype. I have upgraded it and installed 4 mass drivers in adition to the 4 HEPTs that are on it. The HEPTs are nice to use as they kill the shields fast and allows me time to try to get the pilot to eject or just straight up kill them. I have not gotten ammunition for the MDs yet.

It looks like now I will need to start making money as this mission now wants computer components. I have begun to stick pirated ships in the military bases for spying on the military and it looks like now I will need to explore to the shipyards for my TS ships. I am not sure which TS to use for the Universal traders but I am thinking of going with the Caimen Super Tanker XL again.

And how do you start using this Stock Exchange? The general told me about how you can make credits in it but I am not able to buy anything yet.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Just so you know, a Venti with 10 EBC's always goes down well... (Its literally the Nova Proto with +2 guns, smaller generator, slightly faster), but you do get a Nice M3+ later in the Plot, so I'd stick with the Nova until you get that, then see whether you like the new ship...

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

The Elite is quick enough to stay alive if you're not too incautious, (the turret can help) very decent shields {2 X 25} compared to some of the other M4's, and enough bite to force the Duke's Hermes and Demeter pilots to bail (Between Seizewell and Family Whi is a good hunting ground.) I found it an extremely reasonable starting ship, and stayed in it for ages. There are huge varieties of M3's in AP some very fast,some heavily shielded, some with a deadly bite etc. Also, as some decent ships come up in the various plots, as hinted above, you may not need to upgrade as a priority.

Edit:- @Redheart.... I wrote this before I rec'd your latest post.

I am an Alien!
redheart

redheart avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Another question...in obtaining a TL, is it possible to hire one near the shipyard, take it to an unknown sector, then attack it and have them bail out of the ship? Or do you need to board the ship with marines?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

Nope, TLs can only be boarded, never capped (unless you're running the NPC Bailing add-on script, which allows big ships to bail).

As for luring a hired TL into unknown/pirate space: yep, that's a well known means of jacking TLs. Personally, I just go for civvie ones instead, but hey, I'm a pirate at heart Wink

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
redheart

redheart avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

No mods on this game. And I am really not enjoying the time it takes to repair my ship lol. Thanks Kirlack.
Is there any way to take over a sector that is hostile? I mean inside the war I am going into hostile areas and is there any way to take that sector for Argon or for myself? You dont need to give away any plot line just a yes or no will do.
Also what missile is used to break up the large asteroids? I mean the ones you put ore extractors on.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Not sure about the Sector Take-overs, I think War-Missions do?

The missile that breaks up asteroids is the Hornet, although you can also use the MDS to do it as well...

Cachurro

Cachurro avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

Any missile with at least 200K damage will blow up an asteroid. But the ones with friend or foe targeting (no lock required) cannot target them, as asteroids can't be set to be enemies! So the missiles that can target and blow up an asteroid are the heavies -Hornet and Spectre- and the torpedoes -Firestorm and Hammerhead-.
Regarding the best fighter, well, I always aim for a highly overtuned Hyperion with a Pirate kestrel docked inside. That combination is perfect for 90% of the missions you can get. Sweet. The kestrel is for fast personnel transport and for moving within comms range of all the stations in the sector.

redheart

redheart avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Cachurro, I hear alot about overtuned ships. How do you overtune a ship? I figured you dock it at a station and upgrade the engine and rudder and its tuned up as high as it can go.

And man oh man, the stock market can become addicting!!! I find I am auto piloting most now while I watch the stocks lol.

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Engine and steering overtuning is available from 'Pandora Crates,' a few of which are distributed randomly in (I think) pirate and unknown sectors. They vanish after an unspecified time if they aren't picked up. You need an Advanced Sat. deployed in order to see them. There is a script mentioned on this and the egosoft forums (findwares) to see where all the crates and ships in your game are. Normally this would give you the modified tag, but there is a work-around mentioned at the egosoft forums '[X3AP] Pandora crates disappeared.' Later in the game there are allegedly more pandora crates available in UFJD sectors but they take ages to find IF you are lucky. Seygantte has posted about this on this site. I have spent many days in UFJD sectors and found absolutely NOTHING!:sad Bricks
Roguey has a mod that will help/increase interest for when you've finished running vanilla and no longer mind carrying the modded tag.
There are exploits to run with the stock exchange depending on how easily you want to be stinking rich!

I am an Alien!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »

You need to log-in to post here.