Star Citizen shows, news and information

Home Board Index » Star Citizen » Star Citizen shows, news and information

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

I hate to be 'that guy' but the gameplay video doesn't really show any gameplay. What is there to actually do? Is it like elite where you just look at stuff and haul cargo mindlessly for hours on end?
- Sinxar

Well, that's an important question to ask Smile

The demo last year showed gameplay features included in Alpha 3.0 and this year's demo was about how they are going to create the first playable star system - Stanton.

The gameplay features like professions/careers will be added gradually in upcoming patches. Alpha 3.0 includes first iteration of cargo then comes mining, salvaging, etc. Every version are improving features which are already in current version. For example here's some changes Alpha 3.0 will bring over Alpha 2.6.3.

As the demo shows there are potentially huge amount of gameplay coming even in a single star system. The star system is already pretty big and with a dynamic mission system, professions, subsumption, planets/moon, cities, etc. there are plenty things to do.

Tony Zurovec explain how professions and mission system will work in future:

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

One other thing showed in the demo was the distances inside a star system. It takes about 8 minutes to jump from Arccorp to Hurston. It will be very nice to see how they are going to make these kind of trips feel interesting. In bigger ships there are lots of things to do unlike smaller ship like Aurora. As Chris said in practice the trip will take much more time than just 8 minutes.

I find the upcoming patches Alpha 3.0 and beyond interesting because all of them are going to be a huge change in gameplay perspective. New professions makes a big difference but improvements to old mechanisms can change the game a lot too. For example Alpha 3.0 adds many "smaller" features which changes the current FPS game totally; much more tactical and slower.

Personally I hope there would eventually be so many mechanisms that I would be able to stay in one star system for hundreds of hours to do meaningful missions and tasks which actually has a affect to game world - not grinding and farming. With subsumption and dynamic and chained mission a simple "deliver a package"-mission should turn to be something new and interesting. Also since the game has economy similar to X-series, chasing pirates and protecting supply deliveries should be much more interesting than just killing pirates without actually having any effect in game world.

All of this is still just an ambitious goal so we have to wait and see what happens. Fortunately it is a great fun to follow the project and test new versions to see how things evolves ...

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 6 years ago.

I was playing the current version a bit today and after getting swarmed by people who apparently never seen my ship before, i did some of the missions available. Just those basic ones aren't bad and a huge leap above what is offered in Elite currently. However making travel take forever is disheartening. We already have one waiting room simulator and hopefully they don't go that direction with it.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

I was playing the current version a bit today and after getting swarmed by people who apparently never seen my ship before, i did some of the missions available. Just those basic ones aren't bad and a huge leap above what is offered in Elite currently.
- Sinxar

Other gamers are most of the time the reason I don't like multiplayer games / MMOs Smile

Alpha 2.6.3 is very bare bone and doesn't include any interesting technologies; item system 2.0, subsumption, mission system, etc. It feels a bit bad to do testing with 2.6.3 once you have seen all the stuff coming in Alpha 3.0 and beyond. I have not even started training FPS or flying yet because the upcoming changes.

However making travel take forever is disheartening. We already have one waiting room simulator and hopefully they don't go that direction with it.
- Sinxar

In the other hand the jumps has to be long enough so different kind of events can happen - but not like in many games these days that something happens all the time. It would be great if you would have time to go play card with crew members, do maintaining, etc. tasks during the jumps and not be clued in cockpit all the time.
Since Alpha 3.0 will finally bring technologies together these are things they are going to start add next.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Pretty interesting interview with Tony Z

Wccftech Investigates: The Star Citizen Economy (with special guest Tony Zurovec)

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

It seems there are going to be some improvements to performance in Alpha 3.0.

Evocatis has been testing 50-60 player server:
Picture

Network bind culling could be included as well but that's not certain yet.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Since we have left Alpha 3.1 (Q1) release behind we can concentrate to see what is coming in the future releases. CIG shared how fuel mechanisms will work and in the latest Around the Verse talks and shows a bit of Alpha 3.2 features.

The Shipyard: Fuel Mechanics

BritizenCon 2018

BritizenCon 2018

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

As always, there are plenty of information shared every week.

"Every week, designers, engineers and other developers from our five offices around the world answer backer questions submitted on SPECTRUM and voted on by YOU. This week, we address questions on racing in the PU and Arena Commander, NPCs flying on trade routes, the future of the RSI Roadmap and more."

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Lots of interesting information in this month's Studio Report.

I like how they are concentrating depth instead of width by adding new game mechanisms and improving the old ones.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Well, hopefully they will tell what is coming in Alpha 3.2 or later and not concentrate what we have now. It has potential to be very interesting episode today.

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/994334869755957249

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 6 years ago.

Pretty interesting episode overall. What do you think about Service Beacons?

edit:

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log-in to post here.