Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

very strange; I remember awhile back on the PS3 you could install linux. After awhile the option was removed because it allowed people to hack their games/saves/trophy data. So I guess see seeing linux on a PS4 could mean that happens again, but I didnt expect to see it done as quickly. I bet Sony are quick trying to stop this.

If its not done to hack games etc. then im not too sure whats the point. I guess you could think of the PS4 has a cheap PC, but it doesnt exactly have high-spec parts. Putting together a reasonable pc isnt that expensive but a heck-of-lot easier install linux on; and probably way faster. Unless there is another reason for doing so? I know sometimes people do things for the fun of it.

thanks for sharing,

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

very strange; I remember awhile back on the PS3 you could install linux. After awhile the option was removed because it allowed people to hack their games/saves/trophy data. So I guess see seeing linux on a PS4 could mean that happens again, but I didnt expect to see it done as quickly. I bet Sony are quick trying to stop this.
- Roguey

Yeah, that will most likely to happen and pretty soon too.

If its not done to hack games etc. then im not too sure whats the point.
- Roguey

I think there are multiple of reasons.

- Just like you said, for fun.

- Because it is possible. There are groups of people who tries to make Linux run on all kind of devices (or even animals!). There are lots of users who are interested in operating systems and hardware and loves challenges.

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml
http://www.amazon.com/Installing-Linux-Dead-Badger-Snyder/dp/1894953479

- To make PS4 more useful. With Linux you are able to play many more games with emulators, use multimedia with codecs user prefers, do real work, do programming, run servers, etc.

At the moment installing Linux could require some hacking but I wouldn't be surprise if they make fully automatic installation from USB stick or over network. Basic Linux distro doesn't take more than couple of minutes to install.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

I managed to miss a point that they are using older firmware to make this happen and the flaw is already patched in newer version.

"Linux on the PS4 actually makes a lot of sense, more than it ever did on any previous game console. It’s close enough to a PC that getting 3D acceleration working, while rather painful (as we’ve learned), seems entirely possible without undue amounts of effort (in a timeframe of months, not years), to the level needed for real indie games and even AAA titles, not just homebrew. And many thousands of indie and AAA games already run on Linux. Yes, SteamOS on the PS4 should “just work” once the driver issues are sorted out."

fail0verflow: Console Hacking 2015: Liner Notes

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

Steam is one step closer on PS4: https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/684079550943354880

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

well if its been already patched out, then it seem a little pointless. Either the older PS4 will fail, or people will simply update them (if like the PS3 you cant sign into PSN without having an up-to date patch on your console).

Its good to see it can be done although. Although im not that surprised, since both PS4 and XBox1 are PC's anyway. Cut-down PC's at that.

Orbot

Orbot avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 8 years ago.

It is useless for those people who are running PS4 with the newer firmware at the moment. But it is good to do the work now while it is possible; device drivers, installer, etc. so when a new exploit is being found everything is ready.

Even if this whole project will stay useless for most of the PS4 owners it still shows how flexible PC gaming could be with Linux/SteamOS. Similar projects has done before for multiple of different devices like 3DS, GameCube, Wii, etc. Of course many other devices uses other than x86 based CPU architectures so you are not able to run Steam client or games without emulation. Open source games can be compiled for target architecture and additionally script language and bytecode based games should work fine.

You need to log-in to post here.