Turrets....

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Turrets....

ktide

ktide avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

Here we go again mate lol.

Ok i got a question ( and yep, it's for the new part of a tutorial... Turrets ), is it possible to have turrets facing forward as a start position ( just for looks ) and once it starts pumping lead it faces one of the sides?

I'll elaborate:

I have several TP/TLs that take turrets ( yep, SW ships ), some of them have one per side like back/left/righ/forward, but all of them, except the rear ones face forward, normaly if you place them that way they will turn 90º in all directions, making the turret fire the ship itself, as an option i can turn the turrets facing the side they belong but the look of the ship will be nasty.

Any suggestions on a fix for this problem?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

hey m8,

I pretty sure 90 degree turn set by X3, and there's nothing you can do about this. Like you said, you can often make the guns of a turret face/touch the ship (seeming like going through the ship itself). I think the Argon Nova does this, where you can hit the engines.

All I can suggest is to make model for the turret that can turn in many directions, ie: a base (I think best if its fixed), then a section that turn 360. with a sorta box section, that houses the gun which can spin between 180.

Picture

And try to position the turret in places to avoid this as much as possible. As for turrets on the rear, just rotate them 180. Nothing you can do about how X3 positions them.

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Your drawing hand is excellent mate lmao, better then mine!

Can the gun rotate 360º? The section i mean? How can u make that work?!

Like you know ( or should remember :p ) me and turrets are not best buddies lol.

Oh and off topic a bit... Where's my sector? :p

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Your drawing hand is excellent mate lmao, better then mine!
- ktide

Eh... I wouldnt say it was that great Smile

Can the gun rotate 360º? The section i mean? How can u make that work?!
- ktide

I thought the gun rotated 180 (90 each way), as for the 360 it might be 180 but it gives 360 cover.

So with the other parts moving as well, it gives the gun a large view. I can understand why your having problems with turrets, as you got to build them in 3 main parts to give enough cover (missing one part would highly limit the turret targeting). These parts could be done in a different order, although it might be hard to it work correctly.

Oh and off topic a bit... Wheres my sector? :p
- ktide

If in X3TC, I had quite a few sectors that clashed with X3TC ones, so I couldnt add with moving and redoing gates/bod files etc.

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

If in X3TC, I had quite a few sectors that clashed with X3TC ones, so I couldnt add with moving and redoing gates/bod files etc.
- Roguey

No fair Cry

Ok back to turrets, and i think u didn't get me cause i can make them ( except make them recoil, but i'll make u're head in till you show me how Big grin ), i'll try to explain in another way and i'm not drawing... I suck at it lol.

Picture a ship ( B ), then the gun facing outwads on one of the sides ( -- ) firing like so:

--B-- -

Now picture the ship ( B ) with the gun ( | ) facing the front, like so:

|B|

That«s the look i whant BUT, i whant it like |B-- - once it stars shooting, covering all that angle like it should.

I don't think it's possible thou, i remember from the ships i made that had rear turrets i had to make a place for them to sit on, not to hit the engines or the upper wings on some.

Oh and btw and off topic again, i sent you so many ships for the mod and i can only find the manatee Cry
You whant any more? I have all combat ships and most transports for all races m8.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

hmm... so your saying you want a turret to sit on the sides (left/right) but shoot forward, like a front turret? if so, the only way to do this is to make the turret actually sit forward - as X3/TC handles all this.

Oh and btw and off topic again, i sent you so many ships for the mod and i can only find the manatee Cry
- ktide

In the X3 or TC mod? The X3 mod should have all of them there, however in TC some ideas where already covered/and I ran out of steam (literally) doing the TC mod.

To be honest, if you want to play the mod at its best use the X3 version. The TC mod is a small version.

ktide

ktide avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Nop, i want the turret to sit facing forward but to be used 360º on the sides, sitting forward would be the "rest" position, but i'm almost sure it doesn't work, i managed to crash TC several times yesterday testing new ways Cry

Are the X3R mods compatible with TC then?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Are the X3R mods compatible with TC then?
- ktide

It depends how complex the mod is: as many of the type files have changed, so if you ref. an ship or something, you will often get the wrong one. You also have to watch when adding ships etc. because egosoft have already stuff there, so you could break the plots. However generally its easy enough to import/export stuff between them, even scripts are easy (just change the script version in two places).

You need to log-in to post here.