Carriers & Fighters

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Carriers & Fighters

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

I'm trying to get some useful advice regarding the usage of the M1 class. Really anything that could be considered a carrier, such as the Panther also.

My main issue is getting fighters to undock to attack. I find myself issuing commands like "move to position" just to make them undock then ordering the wings to attack a target. Using "attack target of" and the defend ship commands they wont undock until the target is within firing range of the carrier, obviously by then the enemies are mostly dead (flak) or got vaporized in the case of Qs vs the Panther.

I used the panther for a long while before moving up to an M1, im really trying to like it but I cant figure out how to make the fighters work for you, not against.

I seen that mod CODEA Weapon System, that seems pretty awesome but too much work. Buying and training all kinds of personnel sounds tedious in an already carpal tunnel inducing game. There are a few other mods i need to pick up also, such as Bounce (i lose more fighters to my M1 than anything). But ATM i got one more plot to do in vanilla (balance of power) then I'll slap a few mods in to see what works.

Any advice for carrier usage in a vanilla game? thoughts on the carrier class in general is also acceptable.

Thanks for reading

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

I had no problem with the fighters undocking. Have you set a homebase for the fighters and give the command Attack all enemies, and land?

That way I find the ships ejecting when there is danger near.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yes I tried that. They will launch, and usually split up and attack different enemies. Say on a defend position mission. I launch 40 fighters vs 20 Xenon M3s and 5 Qs they will split up and blob a single M3 while the rest sit still and die to the Qs or get killed while trying to attack the other M3s alone.

And yes they are based to the carrier. But like you said, they eject when danger is near. but by then its too late and they have to redock right away because im usually anti fighter fit, or in the case of the panther, IBLs on front and sides and flak everywhere else. Is it possible to make them attack at long range instead of the carrier tanking everything?

It just doesnt seem right. Although this is a game, i dont see aircraft carriers IRL broadsiding destroyers, that would be stupid and doesnt make sense in X3 either due the fairly light shielding.

ed: i should add that i make use of wings most times. the attack all and land command doesnt seem to be possible if they are grouped into wings.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I've never experienced a problem with fighters launching and following orders. I own 2 Panthers but only fight one (the other is for 'collecting' fighters that I capture).

Couple things I do with my fighters, I make sure they are all are ordered to fly the same 'formation', that they all have the necessary (same) software (as does the carrier), and that they are armed similarly.

To date I've never had more then 10 fighters in a wing..and I only have the same kind of fighters in a wing.

I'm presently playing 'vanilla' also.

What kind of fighters are on-board your carrier?

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

I'm flying a Shark now. I tried the Hoshi a long while ago but didn't like it much and I didn't really understand how to use the M1 class (funny thing, i still don't :P)

I started with 20 Barracuda Raider and 20 Skate. Got the L version and filled the rest of the weapon slots with PACs. I'm down to 28 total now with the Skates dying on my windshield most often. I set 2 wings 20 of their own type, like 20 barracuda in blue wing, 20 skate in gold wing. I bought them all at once and equpped them all the same ofc, use the resupply ships command to add the extra PACs.

jmmallian

jmmallian avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

maybe a simple order like protect your ship will solve your problem.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

maybe a simple order like protect your ship will solve your problem.
- jmmallian

Using "attack target of" and the defend ship commands they wont undock until the target is within firing range of the carrier
- Sinxar

Anyway im doing that balance of power mission where you have to raid an ATF base. First time was in a Kestrel... I kept killing all kinds of M5s. Then the capitals showed up along with tons of M4/M3/M8... Surprised me. I tried it with a Tiger and died horribly. Gonna have to bring in some backup. Gonna bring in the Shark to support 2x Boreas. If it dies, so be it. Didn't need that carrier anyway.

This is the only mission so far that appears to need a fleet. It would prolly be possible to do it solo in a M2 but meh, glad to have a reason to use a fleet finally.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

Hey that was fun. a bit overkill but fun. the carrier seems to work much better when your not personally flying it. I set the wings to attack target nearest my M2. I split the skate wing in half and made them defend the carrier.

When the capitals stared pouring in the fighters quickly took out any small ships while I took out the capitals. any small stuff that got through to the carrier was ate by the carrier flak + fighters.

It survived with 70% shields, my Boreas was at 60% at one point but recovered after some bombers went down.

jmmallian

jmmallian avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 12 years ago.

that was really fun. how many hours this fight was last?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

M1's are a bit odd at first, as they dont work like normal attack ships. They also can suffer from the poor AI at times - ive had fighters flying with my M1, just ignoring being hit (and nearly killed). However when M1's do actually work, they can take down some large targets.

Fighter drones do help M1's, as they overload other ships turrets with too many targets. This often reduces the amount of ship you lose too.

Any pictures of your battle?

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

Ohh i do have a pic. Death in the Tiger heh. I was thinking about FRAPSing it lol. I should have done that.

Picture

That was a weird mission. Seemed like the more I killed the faster the raid went. When I was in the Tiger, I died when they were only around 50% done. When i brought in the 2 capitals, it was at 50% before the first enemy capital went down. I tried to avoid checking walkthroughs other than to see where a plot started. The only one I had to 'cheat' with was the treasure hunt one.

So thats all the plots done yay! Oh and the last part of that with the 4 Tyrs... lol i jumped into m148 and they killed that red station for me. I eventually ran out of E-cells and had to bring in the Kraken to kill them and jump out as to not lose rep. Exploit... yes i know but they killed everything in their way. I was afraid to jump to Argon Prime because they might kill everything, including Argon One! I really want one of those Tyrs now.

Since I finished all the Steam achievements I cared about. I put in some mods. PSCO1s cockpit mod, Bounce (This is a great script for use with carriers) and a fix for the stuck at docking @ carrier thing. Also lets NPCs use a docking computer.

Bounce
Docking Lockup Fix + Upgrade (v6 - 13.06.09)
PSCO1's CockpitMod v1.32

I'm going to try X3TC/AP ITS-PSCO1-Shawn Cockpit MOD instead. PSCO1s is ok but all the cockpits are the same per class. Like when im flying a boron ship, it looks like a terran cockpit (IMO). Hopefully it gives more variety.

ed: turns out thats not what im looking for either. Oh well didnt need that cockpit anyway.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

That poor old dragon looks rather beaten in that picture. Although it looks like your only ship in that sector? Congratulations on the completion although.

ps. I do like that bounce idea, I have died so many times due to old Collision detection egosoft use. Its a shame its not in vanilla games. Even X3AP hasnt got anything like that Cry

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yes that was from the solo tiger attempt. I didn't even realize I took a SS until i went and looked. None of the battle with capitals tho Cry

You need to log-in to post here.