OOS Nividium Mining

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » OOS Nividium Mining

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have been using a known game 'exploit' to make a large amount of cash.
I found out about this 'exploit', and how to use it on the egosoft site.
I have modified it to meet my needs and my style of game-play.
I'll include the egosoft thread link down at the bottom.

My game has nothing added. No mod's, scripts, nor the bonus pack, past the patches up to 3.1.1
I'm not sure if any 'additions' will stop this 'exploit' from working the way I do it, or the way explained in the egosoft thread.

The way I'm doing it you have to "work it" a little, but the rewards have been well worth it to me.
Let me get to it---

Ships Needed/Used:
I began with 8 of my "fleet" freighters (I recently added a new Caiman Miner to this fleet that I picked up cheap making it 9 freighters).
These are ones I intend to keep so they have lots of upgrades and software installed that are not needed for this OOS mining operation.
For the "modified method" I'm using, I added a Mammoth TL to this mining fleet.
You can use as many mining ships as you'd like, according to the Original Poster of the egosoft thread. I've read some using 20, others indicate as many as 100. I used the 8 because they weren't carrying any cargo and were available to use.

Needed Upgrades:
All the ships have Mineral Scanner, Ore Collector, Special Command software MK1, and Triplex Scanner. The Triplex isn't really needed but every ship in my fleet has it installed.
All these ships also have Transporters (not needed except on the Mammoth for my method) and Jumpdrives (easier and quicker to get them to the mining site and escape incase an enemy shows up--don't forget some Energy Cells. I stock 300 in each of these mining ships).

Location Of OOS Mining Operation:
The egosoft thread began with using scanned Nividium 'rubble' up in the Boron sector of Kingdom End. If you scan the rubble in several sectors, you will find many good rubble areas to mine. In the link I will include, on page 7 (or 8 ) and again on page 25 there is a list of Nividium rubble locations.

But I chose a sector that is "clean" of rubble but that has a few Nividium Asteroids in it. I have found a few like this, but the Unknown Sector south of Meneluas' Oasis in the SE corner of the map is the one I picked. This sector has 3 such asteroids, a 3 yield, 5 yield, and a 7 yield 'roid. And most importantly..it's a "dead-end" sector and one that I do not see myself "personally" visiting again. This is very important to the OOS mining operation. It is said that once you begin mining, if you "personally" visit the sector you will break the 'exploit'. I haven't "personally" visited this sector since I set up the OOS mining operation so I can not confirm this.

Beginning Nividium OOS Operations:
I had all the asteroids scanned before hand. I picked the 5-yield asteroid.
Flying close to this asteroid, I dropped an Advanced Satellite. Then using a SINGLE Hornet missile, I broke up the asteroid. Then using low powered weapons, I broke up the larger pieces of rubble into smaller (mine-able) pieces.
I called my "mining fleet" to 'move to position'...that position being the Advanced Satellite I dropped near the asteroid I broke up. Once they were on the way, I jumped out of the sector.
When all the mining ships were in position, I ordered them to "collect rocks". And from another sector, I watched at they started to collect Nividium.
I watched as each freighter collected 1 or 2 "pieces" of Nividium at a time. It's reported that they will continue add Nividium every 20 seconds or so.
Because the sector is free of rubble and I only broke up one Nividium asteroid, my ships only collect Nividium.

The Important Part of OOS Nividium Mining:
Now forget about the mining fleet! Go do something else and leave them alone.
I began planning my first complexes, doing some station missions, a bit of trading and exploring.
After about 30 minutes, I checked the cargo of each freighter. They had continued to collect Nividium and each had about 125 pieces each.
I used the Transporter on the Mammoth, and moved the Nividium on to it. (I also have the Mammoth ordered to 'collect rocks' so it's also working while it sits there.)

Time To Sell:
When the Mammoth had 10,000 (or more) units of Nividium on board, I jumped it to the Shipyard in Queen's Retribution.
I have another freighter docked here. It has Energy Cells on board to re-plenish those the Mammoth uses.

Now I purchase 10 Dolphin (S) freighters (with no upgrades) from the Shipyard. These come with a single 1MJ shield installed. I transfer the shield to the extra freighter that is docked allowing the Dolphin to hold a total of 1,000 Nividium units.

Once I have all 10 Dolphins stocked with 1,000 Nividium units I sell them back to the Shipyard I purchased them at for 8,243,167 credits each.

I jump the Mammoth back to the mining operation, order it to 'collect rocks' and forget about it again.

The Math:
buy 10 Dolphin freighters for 258,606 credits each = 2,586,060 credits
sell 10 Dolphin freighters (minus the 1MJ shield) with 1,000 Nividium for 8,243,167 each = 82,431,670 credits
sell the 10 1MJ shields at the local Equipment Dock for 5,192 credits each = 51,920 credits

82,431,670 ten Nividium full Dolphins
+ 51,920 ten 1MJ shields
----------
82,483,590 in total sales
-2,586,060 purchase of 10 Dolphin (S) freighters
----------
82,225,530 total profits

I have bought and sold 10 Nividium filled Dolphins 15 times = 150 freighters.
My profits to date are 1,233,382,950 credits..yes, almost 1.25 BILLION credits.

I have just checked my OOS Nividium mining operation.
The Nividium asteroid I broke up has recently re-spawned in the same area but my mining fleet is still collecting Nividium.

I'm guessing that I've had these mining operations going for about 2 (game) days.
I hope someone finds this information helpful.

The egosoft link;
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=263657&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=nividium+mining&start=0

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have been having problems with mobile mining since the patch. When I break up an asteroid, it will clump back up into uncollectable pieces when I turn away from the debris. I noticed this behavior when setting up a mining fleet for the hub plot, ore phase. They would only collect for a minute or two then stop. when I went in to check what was wrong, the piece of rock i broke up reformed.

Because of this, I had to assign CAGs to the hub to buy all the materials and I am unable to supply silicon to my factories by mining it.

Does anyone else have this problem?

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I haven't had any problems, but I'm mining Nividium...not Ore.

Is it possible when you break up the asteroid that you're not breaking down all the 'small' rocks to the 'smallest' rocks possible?
This might allow it to clump back together.

Also, with the method I'm using for Nividium, I can not be 'personally' in the sector when I order the ships to begin 'collecting rocks'.

As I understand, to be able to enter the sector, I just have to order the ships to stop collecting, do what ever business I have to do, leave the sector, and then order the ships to resume.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

82,483,590 in total sales
-2,586,060 purchase of 10 Dolphin (S) freighters
----------
82,225,530 total profits

Small math problem: 82,483,590 - 2,586,060 = 79,897,530

I had heard it was really easy to make money in TC, so it was interesting to see an example of how that happened. Apparently in TC mobile mining got a lot more efficient than it is in Reunion. In Reunion I have tried this trick with the nividium roids in Rolk's Fate to make a bit of cash, but the extensive rubble fields you are apparently using in TC aren't really found in Reunion. I knew there was a major exploit in TC because the rankings list reveals it. So, this is probably at least partially it.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Small math problem: 82,483,590 - 2,586,060 = 79,897,530
- PuppyOfWar

So it is. Thanks for the correction.
Guess it's time that I invest in a new calculator.

I've avoided collecting in the sectors with rubble fields, in my present game.
I just busted up a Nividium asteroid and harvest the rubble from it.
I found it so much easier just to scan the large asteroids then to investigate all the tiny rubble stuff.

I read that in those sectors with a lot of rubble in it, you can collect silicone and ore at the same as time your trying to get nividium.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

In Reunion the 'roids won't break up into that many pieces, I can see. I mined the 8 and 10 in Rolk's Fate this way and got around 1000 or so pieces of Nividium total. This is why this is an exploit in TC and not in Reunion. I've seen the math on how many pieces a TC roid can break into and its scary. Personally I just did the first break myself with a mining laser, then set an M4 with some weapons to 'break all rocks' and set him to it. His hourly fee is negligible, IMO. If I sat there to break it all up to smallest rocks myself, I would be there forever. Again, things must work a bit differently in Reunion.

It's definitely better to be OOS for this though, if I stay in sector collision avoidance and reaggregation will prevent the mining operation from being successful.

If you use the bonus pack, you can use 'nividium' in the name of your rock breaking ship and it will only break nividium rocks. I believe it works the same for the collectors. The bonus pack should not interfere with the 'exploit'.

I plan on cleaning up some of my rubblier sectors with automated mining at some point in my game. The silicon and ore collected will just be a small bonus by then.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

Woh, that does sound crazy. How come the mining operation keeps going for such a long time? You would think after a set amount of time, all pieces of the asteroid would be collected? I guess its to do with an glitch with OOS?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yeah, in TC OOS mining can go on infinitely. You can Hornet a single Silicon roid on day 1 and set up a mobile mining operation around the rubble that'll still be there on day 96253 :p However roids will 'reconstitute' themselves if you stay in sector with them, which is really the only way to ruin a mobile mining set up. All roids in TC eventually respawn/reconstitute, unless you put a mine on them. Then they're lost forever.

@cjm3fl: I do a lot of mobile mining in my 'main' merchant game. I mainly mine for silicon and ore to supplement some of my complexes, but I also have a little niv mining fleet in Kingdom End. Much the same set up as you, except I keep a TL right on top of the shipyard, and employ a CLS2 pilot to take all the niv from the miners and drop it at the TL. When the Mammoth gets close to full (11000+ units) I buy an Orca from the shipyard, sell it's shield, then move it to the Mammoth, transfer, dock, sell.

One Orca full of Niv sell for 116 mil. Costs about 22 mil to buy it. I don't know if that's more efficient, but it's how I do it. Saves me having to check up on my fleet more than once every 5-6 game hours.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Woh, that does sound crazy. How come the mining operation keeps going for such a long time? You would think after a set amount of time, all pieces of the asteroid would be collected? I guess its to do with an glitch with OOS?
- Roguey

I read about 98% of the thread that I linked. I never found out why this is possible.
Since it's available without downloading any scripts or mod's I don't feel like it's a "cheat", just an exploit.
I'm good with exploits.

If you use the bonus pack, you can use nividium in the name of your rock breaking ship and it will only break nividium rocks. I believe it works the same for the collectors. The bonus pack should not interfere with the exploit.
- PuppyOfWar

I'm like Roguey--I don't have the bonus pack installed. Just the patches up to 3.1.1
It's nice to know that if I decide to install the bonus pack that this exploit should work.

@cjm3fl: I do a lot of mobile mining in my main merchant game. I mainly mine for silicon and ore to supplement some of my complexes, but I also have a little niv mining fleet in Kingdom End. Much the same set up as you, except I keep a TL right on top of the shipyard, and employ a CLS2 pilot to take all the niv from the miners and drop it at the TL. When the Mammoth gets close to full (11000+ units) I buy an Orca from the shipyard, sell its shield, then move it to the Mammoth, transfer, dock, sell.
- Kirlack

I've thought about doing same that. Buying TL's to load up and sell back real quick.
I might go ahead and break down the other 2 Nividium asteroids in that same sector and sick a mining fleet on each. I would need to use the TL method then.

I plan on cleaning up some of my rubblier sectors with automated mining at some point in my game. The silicon and ore collected will just be a small bonus by then.
- PuppyOfWar

I know what you mean. There a 3 or 4 sectors that I frequently travel need some 'serious cleaning'.
I might buy some stripped-down TL's like Kirlack talked about, and send a group of freighters to 'collect rock'.

**I'm getting ready to buy/sell my 200th Dolphin.**

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

By the way thanks for the heads up on this exploit in TC. It effectively means I do not need to play TC at all. The exploit is big enough to all but ruin the game for me, and I cannot simply not use an exploit to purposely make it harder for myself when I know that it exists. Egosoft didn't fix this one, a bad habit of theirs being to leave their games unfinished, and as a result I won't even need to buy TC. I had been wondering why the ranked list for TC was so skewed.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

The nice thing about knowing about an 'exploit' is that you can decide to using it...or not to.

Sorry to hear you feel that this would keep you from enjoying TC.
I've played the same game for 9 months and just began to study this particular exploit.

No, wait...I've 'over sold' mosquito missiles at Equipment Docks.
...And I've 'over-sold' 1MJ shields at the same Docks.
I guess I have used a few exploits before this particular one....My bad.

I have read that there are some similar game exploits that exist in AP too.
I guess that means you should not play that game either.

... and I cannot simply not use an exploit to purposely make it harder for myself when I know that it exists.
- PuppyOfWar

The use of any 'exploit' is an individual choice.
If you "cannot simply not use" something, may I suggest staying away from cigarettes, alcohol, and chocolate.

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have two miners picking up s rocks and but used ships to load it in...Makes a tidy profit.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I haven't tried it yet, Scott...but I remember reading that this same kind of OOS mining also works for Silicon and Ore asteroids.

Of course there is nothing wrong with just letting a few freighters loose in a "dirty" sector (that's one with a lot of debris in it) and give them the command to 'collect rocks'...with the right equipment and software, of course.
In previous games I did the 'collect rocks' thing and got (large amounts of) Silicon, Ore, (smaller amounts of) Ice, and Nividium doing it.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Every single game this size has an exploit. That's not my problem, its part of the game. I just shy away from ones where the exploit is so big that I feel it usurps the point of most of the rest of the game. Making 1.5 billion in 2 game days with minimal effort is that exploit, for me.

It happens with most of the arcade games here too;) If you can't figure how I got some super score, just ask, there's probably a trick or an exploit. So its not like I don't use them.

As for your last points, you are correct. I try to stay away from adddictive things, with mixed success. Really like the ganja, if you know what I mean. And further, I hear I'm not the only one with a need to watch myself with substances.

Overselling anything isn't that big of an exploit for me 'cause you have to make it first, using time and resources. I plan on using such an exploit in Reunion, namely the one with the equipment docks where you can sell anything indefinitely with the bonus pack script from 3.1.05.

I've heard the 'you can use it or not' argument many times. It's valid; if you enjoy your game more power to you. But personally I can't play the game knowing there's that huge of an exploit that I'm simply not tapping and do it all the hard way. It's just broken for me. Part of a game designer's job is to watch and fix exploits of this magnitude, so for me this boils down to Egosoft once again didn't finish a game. It's not like this is a recently discovered exploit, it was known before they put out their final patch for the game. I find the way they like to skip on to the next one and charge you again before finishing the last one very irritating. I'm seeing it in Reunion now where they severely overlooked some docking issues. So, I'm not letting this be about me and my annoyance with exploits of this magnitude.

Ive played the same game for 9 months and just began to study this particular exploit.
- cjm3fl

Ok, so you've already played your game before finding out about this one. Would you be as ok with this if you knew about it from the beginning? I wonder if you would still find your game to be as meaningful if you hadn't already put 9 months into it before finding this.

A big part of the issue for me, is that the purpose of a game is to win in a challenging environment with complex interactions and many informational inputs. When an exploit reaches the level of being about 5x or more profitable than regular game activities, its like the game's normal activities have been short circuited. They cease to matter. Much of the complexity and sophistication that I had looked forward to experiencing will cease to exist. Why buy a complex 'X game' which is known for its difficulty, complexity and immersion only to do this to it? I mean, don't you feel cheated? After all, you're only doing this in what, 1 or 2 locations? Why don't you scale up to doing it at 5 or 10? You could probably have a trillion credits in a month. Why make or sell anything else again? Wouldn't it just be a waste of your time when you can mobile mine nividium? The rest of the game seems almost irrelevant now.

To be clear, my problem here isn't with your attitude or use of the exploit. My problem is with Egosoft releasing broken games that they don't fix.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Would I have used this exploit if I had known about it 9 months ago...?
Honestly, I do not know.

I like the way that I played my game in the beginning.
At the point that I found out about this exploit...I felt it was time to try it out and see 1) if it worked as posted...2) if it was as easy as posted...3) and if it benefited my style of game-play.

The answer to those 3 are yes...for me.
For the most part it worked, it wasn't that difficult to set up, and I did benefit.

I will back that up by saying I never had more then 10 freighters and 1 TL working the OOS mining operation.
I read the thread I linked and found some using 100 freighters at a time. I think that is getting a bit carried away.

And presently I'm sending freighters away from this operation.

I will be selling my 250th Dolphin freighter later, when I get home from work.
My money-making operations will then come from the complexes that his 'bonus' money has allowed me to build.

Egosoft most definitely must know that this, and other, exploits exist.
And your probably right...they should have fixed it in the patches they have released.

As to my last point in the previous post...I am no angel either.
But those things were long ago, in a galaxy far far away.
Being a child born during the Kennedy administration and doing my service time in the Reagan era..I too have "experimented to extreme" for some things. Some things I still have to get away from...mainly cigarettes.

The game is what it is.
The good points and the bad ones.

I've played quite a few games since computers first became available for the individual.
I like this one.

It's not perfect. There are exploits we can decide to use or not use.
It is definitely for the individual to choose.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Egosoft most definitely must know that this, and other, exploits exist. And your probably right...they should have fixed it in the patches they have released.
- cjm3fl

The crux of my point right there. X2 seemed to me like a finished game, which I enjoyed and got me into the X games. Since then it would seem they are developing a bad habit. Now, I'd be alright with it if the X games were shareware. Perhaps Egosoft should explore that as a price point if they'd like to continue releasing games at the level of quality they are now comfortable with.

I'm disappointed with Egosoft's decision to accept my money without finishing the product.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.