OOS Nividium Mining

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » OOS Nividium Mining

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

Im disappointed with Egosofts decision to accept my money without finishing the product.
- PuppyOfWar

:lol ...let's not limit this to just Egosoft!
There are many companies that hurry something to market before the game is ready.

I never played X2. Sounds like I missed out on a good...complete...game.
Started my imprisonment with X3 Gold Edition's release.
It's been downhill ever since for my personal life Keyboard typing

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

Started my imprisonment with X3 Gold Edition's release.
It's been downhill ever since for my personal life Keyboard typing

- cjm3fl

Just don't let this happen to you. You will be sorry.

http://www.whitestonemotionpictures.com/films/heartless/

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

I've done my fair share of niv mining, but as PuppyOfWar says it can become quite game breaking. So can cloning weapons etc though, which is another thing you would have expected ES to patch out by now, as it's such a well known and discussed exploit on their boards. For those reasons, in my more recent games I've deliberately avoided both of those exploits, plus the 'free' ships littered about the universe, and actually worked for my wage.

Now, all that said, I have to wonder if the reason ES haven't patched this sort of thing out in the four years or so since TC was released, is the modding community. For instance, I have Lucikes Prospector Script installed on my modded game, which basically gives better options for mobile mining, but also, importantly, removes the debris from the universe as it mines, meaning that niv mining, whilst still hugely profitable, is no longer an infinite cash cow. If you were a developer at ES and had a four year old game, when someone asks 'patch this exploit out please' wouldn't you just point them at the scripting community? I think I would. Nonetheless, I totally get what Puppy is saying. It's something they should have dealt with a long time ago.

In my opinion, and is is just my opinion, TC is a great enough game, and fun enough to play with a few ground rules to avoid the exploits that it's well worth the time to enjoy simply for the great game it is.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I agree with What PuppyOfWar and you have said too.
It should have been patched out long ago.

If I decide to begin a new game I will most likely avoid this exploit.
But not the part about buying stripped down freighters and filling them with mined or collected minerals.

I spent SO MUCH time trying to find places that would buy the Ore and Silicon I collected at a better then average price that after awhile I was just glad to find ANY station that would pay ANY price to get the stuff out of my cargo hold.

And not just minerals.
You wouldn't believe how long I carried around full loads of Rastar Oil in 3 XL freighters trying to find a buyer(s).

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

But not the part about buying stripped down freighters and filling them with mined or collected minerals.
- cjm3fl

That's not so much an exploit. After all, you not only get only half price for your junk, you also only get half price for the ship, further reducing the efficiency of this technique. I would only even do this with nividium in my game, everything else I can find a better use for.

Now, all that said, I have to wonder if the reason ES haven't patched this sort of thing out in the four years or so since TC was released, is the modding community. For instance, I have Lucikes Prospector Script installed on my modded game, which basically gives better options for mobile mining, but also, importantly, removes the debris from the universe as it mines, meaning that niv mining, whilst still hugely profitable, is no longer an infinite cash cow. If you were a developer at ES and had a four year old game, when someone asks 'patch this exploit out please' wouldn't you just point them at the scripting community? I think I would. Nonetheless, I totally get what Puppy is saying. It's something they should have dealt with a long time ago.
- Kirlack

Actually I think they can't dismiss it that way, because it will cause the game to become 'modified' which then prevents any ranking on the ranked lists. That's a pretty significant penalty for wanting to 'fix' your game so you don't end up with a cash exploit, a pretty heavy price to put the game the way Egosoft should have taken it upon themselves to do.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I tend to defend ES in these sort of situations, on the basis that they're only a small developer, and therefore have limited resources to pour into a game, especially one that's already got such magnitude under it's belt. If it were a smaller, less refined game I would wholeheartedly support your argument. In this case I fear I have to disagree. For a game that attempts to simulate a whole galaxy of possibility, overlooking something most players wouldn't even think to try (without the advent of the forums where it can be discussed), I think they can be let off of the few bugs/exploits still in the game, even if they can be game breaking Smile

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
yeni

yeni avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

For anyone who's interested, i remember reading in the ES forums once about exactly how this works - in a field of debris, when the last piece is collected, the whole field respawns as collectible pieces again IF you are OOS at that moment. If i remember, this actually wasn't in the original release of TC, but was somehow introduced somewhere around the 2.0 patch. I haven't used it yet, as i haven't started playing TC until now... i might use it in some games, if i want a faster buildup - but most likely not in my first game of TC.

I suspect that the exploit might be patched out in TC 3.2, and it's probably not in AP at all, based on one of Cycrow's comments.

(if you plan to use this, i also remember reading that jumping out of the system can make the collectible pieces start to reaggregate right away, so it's better to fly to the gate.)

in Reunion, I did mine out a lot of the nividium rubble - but it depletes and is gone forever then, even OOS.
One thing I found while doing this is that in the early game, you can easily end up with money that you can't easily spend, because your race ranks aren't high enough.

on X2 - the X game i've spent the most time in so far - I don't think that ES really finished the game, there were a lot of scripts for it that felt like they should have been there initially, instead of ES letting the modders make them (to list a few : Trader Mk 3, the SDS script by Kor'ah which became CLS Mk 1, the BPH script that became CAG, there are plenty more even just in the signed bonus pack.)

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

If i remember, this actually wasn't in the original release of TC, but was somehow introduced somewhere around the 2.0 patch.
- yeni

It gets better and better doesn't it. It wasn't actually broken at release, so they needed to patch a game breaker in. Now they really have no excuse, because all they had to do was rollback to the previous patch and start over. I doubt that patch introduced anything new with mining that was more important than this bug.

I almost sense Egosoft actually likes this bug in their game. I'm sure some of them wanted a lazy way to make money in their own game. Egosoft seems to approach the X games like a personal hobby that they occasionally sell their current state of progress to raise cash at seemingly random points in their progress, and if enough of them 'like' a certain bug, it will stay.

yeni

yeni avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

i think there was something i read implying that the bug was a side effect to another change they made, but it's on one of the 230K+ forum threads on Ego's site and therefore can't be found by any search Smile

« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.