Loading Out A Carrier

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Loading Out A Carrier

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have adjusted my plans. I'm going to add a Carrier to my fleet. It will be a Split Raptor.
Her name will be Nirvana and she will obviously have all the upgrades and software added.
She will be well armed with weapons and missiles...she will be my flagship after all...

The Raptor can house 65 fighters.
I'm asking for your suggestions for what fighters to add.

I'm thinking 4 wings of 15 fighters each, or 2 wings of 15 and 3 wings of 10 fighters. (could go 6 wings of 10)
Five of the "spaces" are spoken for already.

I have my own ideas, but I don't want to pollute your thinking.
I am looking for fighters that can be fitted out to be used as;
--heavy bombers
--heavy fighters
--interceptors
--general/all purpose fighters.

I'm definitely looking for M3 and M3+ suggestions.
I could go with some M4 and/or M4+, but you have to convince me hard on them.
Not interested in adding M5's to this ship's wings.

**Not looking for a fantasy fleet of fighters.
Please made your suggestions realistic ships that can be obtained without adding scripts or mods to my game.

Thanks ahead of time.

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

Interceptors: The M4+ OTAS Solano. Pain in the ass to equip as there is no EqD is Legend's Home, but, they are one of the fastest, cheapest and highly shielded ships in their class. They can mount PRGs or if you want to tear the target to shreds in moments...Mass Drivers.

30 MD equipped Solanos can rip M2s apart in no time, and with 75MJ shielding each they will probably survive to laugh about it in the bar afterwards!

Also worthy of consideration: Split Asp M4+. 225m/s 1x25MJ shield and up to 6 PBE. Great for ripping the shields off larger ships. And finally, Boron Pike M4+. Easy to acquire and replace, even equipped with just PACs they can flay the shields off some large targets. I know one player who uses these almost exclusively as his carrier force, and he swears by them.

Heavy Fighters: Argon Eclipse M3+ or Teladi Falcon Hauler M3. Both can mount 200MJ shielding and therefore take a beating whilst keeping the heat off their homebase. Also the Falcon Hauler can carry XL cargo, making a fantastic salvage ship.

Now, I like the OTAS Venti for a main/general purpose fighter. Unfortuanely, to acquire one you will have to complete the OTAS missions and then you still need to RE and build them at the PHQ. But at 100MJ shielding and up to 10 main guns, plus 195m/s top speed, they make excellent running dogs.

For a heavy bomber...the Medusa Prototype. Like the Venti, this is a corporate reward (Dukes Buccaneers) and will need to be RE'd and built at the PHQ. It is the only fighter in the game capable of launching Hornet and Typhoon missiles though.

All available in vanilla, albeit with a bit of work for the last 2 Smile

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

I have seriously looked at the Medusa Prototype.
Besides the Hornets and Typhoons, they can carry Firestorms and Hammerheads!

You make a good case for those M4's you listed.
I will do some research on them.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 12 years ago.

I have seriously looked at the Medusa Prototype.
Besides the Hornets and Typhoons, they can carry Firestorms and Hammerheads!

You make a good case for those M4's you listed.
I will do some research on them.
- cjm3fl

I always found it odd that nearly every fighter in the M3 class can mount the Hammerhead, when they're not available for purchase or production Question mark Very strange.

I'm also a huge fan of the Yaki Tenjin M3+. 75MJ shields, 182m/s, the only ship in the game to feature 9 hard points for main laser bank, and 360 degree turret coverage for anti missile work. It also has an epic weapons generator, so it can fire those weapons for much longer than most other ships in it's class. 285 L sized cargo to boot, and wide compatibility of weapons and missiles. The only major downside is the ~6million credit price tag, and the complete lack of an EqD in Yaki space means they are another pain in the ass to approve for flight.

Also, have you considered slaving M6 to your carrier? A wing of them as backup would give you even more punch, and they're more survivable with the fighters to work with.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 12 years ago.

I don't want to pollute your thinking.

- cjm3fl

Appreciate your concern, but I'm afraid you're too late. Polluting my mind further is no longer possible.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

ROFL
Your in good company then!

Hold on a second.... Spit ...it's time to take me medication.

Dizzy

Yupe...much better!

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

As I like to say, I'm the coolest 25 year old around, because I've had 16 years of practice.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

As I like to say, Im the coolest 25 year old around
- PuppyOfWar

Times 2, plus 1 for here...

Ive had 16 years of practice.
- PuppyOfWar

...and there's at least 16 missing years from my memory core Cuckoo

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Chicago (northside) here. If there was a local A-team, I could probably be Captain H. M. Murdock. arrooooooOOOOOOooooo!

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Tampa Bay area for last 22 years....originally out of Philly (greater far northeast).
If there was a Federation...I might be the Vulcan...but more likely the engineer cause they have more fun.

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Tampa Bay area for last 22 years....originally out of Philly (greater far northeast).
If there was a Federation...I might be the Vulcan...but more likely the engineer cause they have more fun.
- cjm3fl

My brother lives in the Tampa Bay / St. Petersburg area, in Brandon. I was thinking about taking a trip down there sometime in the next few months to visit him and my new niece. And enjoy better weather. Who knows, maybe sometime this year we can discuss X-universe strategy over a beer or burgers off the grill or something.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

St Pete here. Closer to the Gulf then the Bay.
Burgers and beer....hmmm, sounds like my normal Sunday.
I like mine with 1/2 pound of beef on a soft kaiser. Yum!

The weather has been warm and dry....warmer and dryer then normal, but Progress Energy like it that way.
If your down while I'm recovering, X universe discussion sounds good.

I have a back surgery upcoming.
I'll be laid up for bout 3 months (out of work, not out of life).

Plan your trip...we can see if our schedules work out.

Congrats on the new niece!
Keep up with her. They grow up so damned fast.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Also, have you considered slaving M6 to your carrier? A wing of them as backup would give you even more punch, and they're more survivable with the fighters to work with.
- Kirlack

I have several M6's that I've gotten recently. I could do that.
I also have been collecting Carrack (M7) lately, and arming them as anti-fighter platforms.

I can picture a "carrier battle group" entering a Paranid....I mean any sector and gaining total respect.
The Nirvana, a pair of M7's, a few M6's..and 65 docked fighters.

And if anything gets too heavy, I'll jump in the squadron of 4 Boreas Sniper

PuppyOfWar

PuppyOfWar avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

With those kinds of numbers in a fighter screen, the enemy fleet is gonna be completely busy. Nothing is getting to your caps because they are tied down before then. Corvettes among the furball will provide the stamina and resilience to the screen. With no free ships to execute unexpected attacks, the initiative is completely yours. Your capitals can stand off and dish out. Question: would you be piloting a fighter or a capital?

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Question: would you be piloting a fighter or a capital?
- PuppyOfWar

I'm going to split my time up.
I'll spend a good amount of time managing the battle from my Tiger.
But when I want to 'reach out and touch someone', I have few options.

I have a Dragon (M6) with top speed of 172 m/s. I can fly this and manage the fighter wings while having some fun.

When I want to 'get down and dirty' I have a few fighters I can jump in;
I have the Skate Prototype (M3+)--very maneuverable with decent speed.
Also I own the X-shuttle (M3+ I think)--the fastest ship of this size.
And there is a pair of Blastclaw Prototypes (M3)--great cargo space for a load of Tornado swarm missile to use against capital ships and stations!

You need to log-in to post here.