Need A Few Good Men--Marines/Merc's

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Need A Few Good Men--Marines/Merc's

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I had trained-up 20 boarding Marines in the past, but the highest I took them was in the 60's and 70's of the three trainable skills. They did fine but it took a couple of game re-loads to make sure I took the fewest losses.

Since then I've "hired" a total of 100 Marines and have trained them up much higher. Presently none my 100 Marines have a lower level then 96% in all trainable skills.

I am presently increases the number of Marines I have to 150 but I've only gotten 40 additional ones..so far.
Total number of Marines:
Argon-----40
Boron-----20
Paranid---20
Split-----30
Teladi----20
Terran----10

I went to Mercury Sector, in Terran space, to see about getting 10 more Terran Marines. But they don't have any available (I'm now guessing the only place to get Terran Marines is the Unknown Sector several Sectors south of the Oort Cloud--or my rep isn't high enough for them to show up in the menu).

**As far as I know, it doesn't really make a difference to the game what Race a Marine is--it's the training.
But while I'm looking around I thought I throw this question out...

If you were looking for 10 more Marines, what Race would you pick?

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I don't think terran ones are buyable at all. Where did you get the Boron ones? I have a boron marine but have no idea where it came from cause they not buyable either (afaik).

I would get more split marines.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

The 'newer' Boron came from a couple Pirate Bases.
Some from the "blue" one East of PTNI Headquarters and the rest from the Rehabilitation Facility in LooManckStrat's Legacy--after buying the station hack (also got 7 IBL's in Sector after buying another hack).

Several of my Boron Marines came from ships I bought that had Marines on board already.

I was starting to think that the Terran Marines might not obtainable. Couldn't find any at 2 Terran Outpost.
The 10 I have are the ones that were aboard the 2 Scabbards from the Terran Plot.

I was thinking of getting more Split if I couldn't get the Terran.
That would give me 40, plus 40 Argon.
:borg

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

ah thats awesome! Ima go look for some boron ones later today. I still have my terran ones from the plot. if you find any let me know. I heard there were some in that MO in that unknown sector too but they have never spawned there for me. If they do spawn there perhaps its tied to ATF rep like that M7M in the OTAS shipyard (the one you need max OTAS rank to buy)? I'm only at research access from the Aldrin plot and have no idea how to increase to to see. If there are any pirate bases around in terran space you could check there for some too.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Neither Terran nor Boron marines are available in Vanilla, although you can hire Boron mercenaries from pirate bases and rehab facilities. Those few Terran marines you get from the main plot are rarely worth keeping, unless you're going to take great efforts to get them fight trained :p

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Whats the difference between marines and mercs? can they not board ships?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

There's no actual difference between them, but in game they are classed as two different wares for sale. Marines can only be hired from MOs, whereas mercs can be hired from PBs and rehab facs. I think 'Betty' will tell you whether you have just hired a marine ('Marine, bought' ) or a merc ('Mercenary, bought' ). As far as training and boarding goes though, there's nothing to split the two.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I finally finished.... Dizzy

All 150 of my Marines have finished their training!
They all are above 95% in all trainable skills.

Race totals are:
Argon = 40
Boron = 20
Paranid = 20
Split = 40
Teladi = 20
Terran = 10

Five of them have 5* in fighting, giving me total of 39 having 3*, or higher, in fighting.

Alas I have 24 with 0* in fighting.
Time to do some boardings to get these guys (and gals) some more fighting experience.

Wink

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Woot! Have fun!

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Well the only difference between marine race is what voice you get when they board. So far, finding Paranid only of the best and Argon the most whinny. Teladi can be funny sometimes.

It does take ages to train up marines, so understand why you get them just like 80% or less. Congratulations cjm for getting so many, so high - bet it took ages?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Well the only difference between marine race is what voice you get when they board. So far, finding Paranid only of the best and Argon the most whinny. Teladi can be funny sometimes.
- Roguey

Despite my dislike of the 'nids in general, they do make great marines. Some of their lines are hilarious! Big grin ('Watch as I bend the hull to my will' - Classic lol) Teladi have some great ones too though ('Advansssse egg brotherssss', or 'I need ssssupporting fire!' ) Love it Big grin

Boron....boron marines just piss me off to be honest. You say the Argon are whiney Roguey, I find the squids infinitely more so. Doesn't stop me hiring them though lol.

It does take ages to train up marines, so understand why you get them just like 80% or less.
- Roguey

Am I the only player who doesn't find training takes ages? Granted, I only train my guys up to three stars to begin with. I like to get them maxed in Fight skill before I commit any more cash to training them further, and three stars will easily take most Commonwealth ships.

Of course, I do keep a stock of ~50 3 star trained marines so I still have a boarding crew when my 'elite ninja' squad are getting their training up to max in the other skills. maybe that's why I don't notice the length of time it takes...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Am I the only player who doesnt find training takes ages?
- Kirlack

The higher their skills, the longer it takes to train them. So for 3 stars the wait into too bad, however for 5 it really takes a long time. I could probably build like 2 Aran in the same time, although dont quote me on that as im still waiting on the rev. :p

I do agree the Paranid have the best lines, especially "Watch as I bend the hull to my will"

.. ninja squad sounds like a bunch of borons :p

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

- bet it took ages?
- Roguey

I didn't keep track, but it took (game)days and day and days.
I had a total of 50 that needed additional training of some kind.

The higher their skills, the longer it takes to train them. So for 3 stars the wait into too bad, however for 5 it really takes a long time.
- Roguey

You're right...the lower the * when they begin, the quicker they finish that assigned training. When they reach a higher skill level it did take a lot longer to finish the same level of training.

The last 10 Marines that I hired had no trainable skill *, they were hired because they had 3* in fighting. These guys took the longest to 'completely' finish their training, but did train-up quickly at first.

I started them with "advanced" training until they got 3 or 4*, then completed them with "normal" and "quick" training.

I did not use the "all skills" option during this training period.
I did that once and it took so long I completely forgot that I had Marines!
It was like sending your kids off to Military School...you have a bed for them but it never gets used.

Now I just have to move a few of these guys (and gals) onto they ships that I want them on.....
Actually, looks like I need to buy or cap another large ship or two Wink

You need to log-in to post here.