M3 Heavy Bombers

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » M3 Heavy Bombers

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I'm looking through the ship guides but not having much luck.
I want to use 10 or 15 M3 or M3+ as a carrier-based heavy bomber squadron.

Requirements:
--The fighter has be purchasable, although I will reverse-engineer if I have to...once I get the PHQ.
--I'm looking for a ship that will launch Firestorm Torpedoes or Hornet Missiles.
The best I can find are ships that will fire the Tornado dumb-fire missile. And plenty will fire the Hammerhead Missile, but this can't be built at Stations.
--Must be a fighter that can be docked on a carrier.

I formed a Squadron based around an Aquilo M7M with 4 Gladiator M8's as a "Missile Attack Squadron" but I'm looking to have carrier-based missile squadrons.

Any ideas?
I'm playing vanilla and not looking to add scripts/mods.

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

according to this http://eng.x3tc.ru/x3_tc_weapons/missile-list.php the only M3 that can fire either of those missiles is the Medusa Protoype.

From the x3 wiki:

Availability

This ship is unpurchasable, only available through the Duke's Buccaneers corporation missions or the Unholy Traitor gamestart, neither of which are easy.

There is a small chance of finding high-tech traders flying this ship who can be forced to bail, leaving you their ship, but this is very unlikely.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

Aye, the Medusa Prototype is definitely the ship you want, but as Sinxar points out it's hard to get in a Vanilla game. 149m/s top speed, 320 L cargo capacity and 100 Mj of shielding combined with the capacity to launch both Typhoons and Hornets (the only fighter capable of doing so) makes it one hella kick ass ship! Big grin

As a quick and easy alternative I'd recommend the Teladi Falcon Hauler. It may not be able to launch the missiles you want, but a few of them loaded up with wasps and thunderbolts will pwn most things fairly quickly.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Guess I'll just build a Tornado Complex and get a fighter that can launch those...which is quite a few.

I'm not in really good standing with a lot of the Pirate factions.
I don't think I'll do real well becoming a "buddy" of the Duke Corporations.

yeni

yeni avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

I don't think Tornados are the best way to go, being dumbfires. Without getting the Medusa Prototypes, I'd be looking at Thunderbolts or more likely Tempests, I like the auto retargeting

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Although the Tornado is not the best because they are dumbfire missiles, I can used them on Commonwealth fighters for attacks against Stations. This arrangement should be fine for this type of mission.

I have started looking at some of the Terran/ATF fighters and the Spectre missile.
I just purchased 12 Cutlass M3+ and have been gathering those missiles.
I think this group should do well for anti-capital ship (M1/M2) missions.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

the only M3 that can fire either of those missiles is the Medusa Protoype.
- Sinxar

Is that something which maybe useful: a list of ships which can fire which missiles? probably could code that if so Smile

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

I use your site and the x3tc.ru site when I need to look up stuff like that. Yours is better presented but the other has the search for what can use what.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Yeah, being able to search through ships by the guns/missiles they can equip would be so, so cool Smile

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

@cjm3fl I was looking for some new fighters and noticed that the Thor, Cutlass, Scimitar and Fenrir can use Spectre missiles.

its a 260k heat seeker warhead. But the problem is the factory for them isn't sold. Perhaps you can cap one from a TL tho if you really want it.

The more I look into this it seems that Egosoft went to great lengths to prevent exactly what you are trying to do.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I use your site and the x3tc.ru site when I need to look up stuff like that. Yours is better presented but the other has the search for what can use what.
- Sinxar

The Russian site was the first 'reference' site I knew about the first time I played TC.
I still use it to cross reference information I find here.

The more I look into this it seems that Egosoft went to great lengths to prevent exactly what you are trying to do.
- Sinxar

I starting to get that very same feeling.

@cjm3fl I was looking for some new fighters and noticed that the Thor, Cutlass, Scimitar and Fenrir can use Spectre missiles.
- Sinxar

I bought me some of the Cutlass (M3+) and Scimitar (M3)--12 and 20 respective.
The Fenrir (M3+) and Thor (M3) aren't available until I finish the Balance of Power Plot.

On two recent trips through Terran Sectors, I picked up almost 150 Spectre missiles.
I'm good for loading out my "Heavy Fighter-bomber" squadron--so far.
Re-supply might to be an issue, if I piss off the Terran...after pissing ON the Paranid Hammer

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Cj, you could set up a sector trader or four in Aldrin and keep a CLS pilot around to buy up the excess Spectres produced there. The AI sure as hell ain't gonna use 'em :p It's a lot less hassle than trekking through the Sol system looking for them lol Wink

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Great idea Kirlack.
Aldrin Sectors are a lot easier then Terran ones.
And your right, the AI won't be needed them.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

There is a thread on the egosoft forums about this now. They are a bit behind the curve lol.

[TC] Falcon Hauler missile boats

This vid was posted in there. its for AP but same idea. He used Tempest missiles.

You need to log-in to post here.