A Drone Ship--The Griffon M7

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » A Drone Ship--The Griffon M7

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

The Griffon was designed to be a 'drone carrier' for the Argon Navy.
From the drawing board she was supposed to carry, and launch, large numbers of the MkII fighter drone.
Her shields and weapon layout boasts "anti-fighter platform".

The Griffon can also carry 9 fighter craft, externally.
Is it me or does it make captured Xenon L's and M's perfect for this ship's mission?
Xenon ships don't have pilots, at least not living ones.

The Griffon was designed for an anti-fighter role by launching drones, "without endangering pilots".
Pilot-less L's and M's, I believe, fall into this "drone" category.

Just thinking out loud here.
What do you guys think?

It's not what someone has done..it's about what they are about to do!
Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Yea. I like to use terraformer ships too. I think about that when I buy fighters because it makes sense to use a #deca.whatever. They just look like an unmanned fighter to me.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I hadn't thought of the terraformer ships. I like it!
Next time I'm down in Aldrin territory I'll bring a Panther with me to pick up a few different fighter types.

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Been doing some checking on "pilot-less" M3's...the Xenon L and the Terran #deca.cefa.
Both have their pluses and their minuses.

a) both have the same cargo space...234, large.
b) the Deca is faster by 49 m/s.
c) the Deca can be purchased where you have to capture the L's.
d) the Deca has 8 gun mounts forward plus 2 slots in a rear turret, but only 3 different weapons can be mounted. One of these is an ammo-based weapon.
e) The L mounts only 6 guns forward and has no turret, but give you 6 energy-based weapons to pick from.
f) the Deca can carry and fire only one type of missile, the L can launch 20 different missiles.
g) both use the 25mj shield--the Deca 2 and the L uses 3 of them.
h) the Deca's aft turret can give some defense against missiles, the L has no turret for defense use.

I like the idea of using "pilot-less" fighters with the Griffon.
She was designed to be a fighter-drone ship and pilot-less M3's just fit right in.

Both of these M3's will add offensive missile capability to assist the drones that the Griffon can launch against an enemy. In addition to the missiles the frigate can fire herself.

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 11 years ago.

Hehe the #deca.cefa with M/AM launchers... it owns. But yea ammo and stuff. And you can't even buy a forge to make said ammo Cry. What about an LX? I have no idea what is needed to build them in the PHQ though.

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

why use novas? all planes are drones just the others are cheaper. I got 10 elcpes in my panther and a small group of solanos

cjm3fl

cjm3fl avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I was thinking, Scott, that since the Griffon was designed to be a "pilot-less" 'drone carrier', it might be nice to add pilot-less M3's.
The Griffon can carry 9 fighters on external docking ports.

Drones = no pilots, and...
L's and #deca cefa (for M3's) = no pilots.

Just trying to keep with the idea of "pilot-less" craft for a drone ship.

all planes are drones just the others are cheaper.
- Scott

The other fighters in the game are piloted ships so technically they can't be considered "drones".

Now all my other "carriers" have piloted fighters.
I like many of the "Nova" variances. And who can't love the Eclipse and Solanos? Have have several of both.

slothdemonZ

slothdemonZ avatar
Level badge Boguey (2)
Posted 11 years ago.

you could just buy a few hundred fighter drones and leave the bays empty. I have 100 FT drones on my orca ready to ruin some pore pirate's day if he tries to shoot at my 25m investment. I don't know about retrieving them but in a big fight you don't really need to, and nothing can cover a retreat like 1000 FT drones.

You need to log-in to post here.