Starting M3/M3+'s, What's your favourite?

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Starting M3/M3+'s, What's your favourite?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 11 years ago.

I've recently started a new save file, and I 'aquired' a Pirate Eclipse after about an hour, which I'm finding is a fantastic starting M3, it can go through a whole wing of M3's without really breaking a sweat, I've given it 4 HEPT's and 4 PAC's on the front, and PAC's in the turrets; I'm just asking, what are people's favourite start-up M3, and what is your favourite Loadout for it?

I will be the one to take you down!
Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

The Argon Eclipse is an excellent M3+, it has powerful shields and a very good cargo space (320L) but it is a bit slow and expensive. The loadout for it maybe: 4 HEPTs (or 4 EBCs) and 4 PACs on the main and PRGs in the front and back turrets.

There is also the Xenon LX, if you managed to capture one then it is comparable to the Argon Eclipse. It has an excellent cargo (350L) and faster than the Eclipse at the expense of shield capacity (but still well shielded, good shield generators). This one can mount PACs, HEPTs and PBEs in the main and the turrets as well.

If you still want easier/Cheaper M3, then the Argon Nova Raider would be a nice choice. Smile

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Eclipse just might be the best, except for the price. The Terrans also build great fighters, comprable to the Argons, just with better technology.

Scott

Scott avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

I like the argon nova raider. The blast claw prototype beats the all if you can get one

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

Id vote for the Eclipse too - great for fighter drone on an M1 too.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Wow, the Eclipse is popular... Not feeling much love for the Venti though, I love that M3. Im glad they gave the Nova Variants a buff since X3:R, they were sooooo slow. How about just M3's? Your favourite that isn't a +?

O and Raptor, I couldn't agree with you more, the LX is a beast! Tad on the slow side, but dat generator!!! Its bloody better than all the Terran ones!

yeni

yeni avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 11 years ago.

Ships notes with ** are free ships in the standard game, and thus qualify as starting or early.

For me, in M3s, Nova Raider, Adv. Perseus** or Poisoned Paranid, Falcon Sentinel** (slow but 400 shields!), or Blastclaw Prototype**

In M3+s, the slow but sturdy ones are Argon Eclipse, Enhanced Kea for Tormented Teladi, or cap a LX. For faster M3+, Skate Prototype**, Chimera, or Tenjin.

Come to think of it, I haven't done a game without making one of this list among my personal ships for a long time.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I wouldn't say the falcon sentinel was the easiest to get, as it is past a xenon sector, and in an unknown that usually has khaak in it! I like it, but I kinda prefer the hauler, as its much more useful, faster, and easier to get hold of; just not really a personal one...

yeni

yeni avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

A Kestrel will usually get you thru X534 safely, and i haven't seen khaak in the unknown , only some xenon fighters. It helps to bring a JD for the falcon.

There are still other sweet M3/M3+, but none that are readily available early on - if you're willing to fly a M3 without a rear turret, there are a couple early ones you can add.

PS - if you compare pirate eclipse and argon eclipse, you'll see there is quite a difference!

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Ooo yeah, I know the Argon one is a lot better, I just got this one early on! I much prefer an M3 with a turret, but I don't have to have one, I ran with a Mamba Vanguard for a loooong time in X3:R, absolutely loved it, but retired it from service when I got the Eclipse fron the Bala Gi missions. Ever since that final mission from X3:R, I've always quite respected the Perseus, but it was soooo much better because it had PSG in that one!

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

My fave M3+, without doubt, is the Tenjin. I can fly that honey all day every day Smile They might have a piss poor turn rate (the Xenon P is actually better! :o ), but strafing more than makes up for that.

I liked the X3:R Eclipse, although the TC version had the higher grade shielding. My only gripe about it really is that it looks like a metal slug Wink And if I could always get one, the Medusa Prototype would be another winner, as it can mount both Hornet and Typhoon missiles!

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Yeah, I don't really like the look of the Argon Eclipse, I much prefer the look of the Pirate Eclipse/Notus Hauler, now that is an M3+ I want! The medusa proto I think is much better as a support than a personal, as the only decent feature is the missile selection, otherwise it's not really a stand out fighter...
I like the Tenjin, but it is weird; 9 guns on the front? The left and right turrets are useful, I just wish it could have PBE'S on them!

DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Oh my, yes, how could we forget the Falcon? Sentinel has great combat capacity, and Hauler can hold XL cargo, making it an incredibly versatile vessel. And may I propose Spitfire?

yeni

yeni avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Medusa Proto also can fire the Firestorm, don't forget - though it generally only shows early for the unholy traitor start.

Spitfire does take doing Terran plot line to access it, does that qualify as a starting ship? It's a good one either way, if you can deal with Terran weapons.

DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Oh, starters? Yeck. Terran Scimitar, then. It only costs 1.5 million credits, and another 1.9 million for a full weapons loadout, another 111.5 K for maximum sheilds, it's a great 'starter.'

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I have to be honest, I'm not a fan of Terran ships purely because of their weapons, and specifically, the EMPC. I know they do similar damage per HIT as a HEPT, but they lose quite a chunk of ROF and can only be mounted in smaller groups (Rapier=2, Sabre=4, Scimitar=6, Cutlass=4 +4 on turrets). I'd rather have an Eclipse with 8 EBC (better DPS, higher speed, higher ROF, less energy used, cheaper, more common, can have more mounted) than a Cutlass with 6 forward facing EMPC. Admitted, they are good on an M5 to allow it to take on an M3, but they seem to be crap against other fast targets, due to not-the-best bullet speed and low ROF, which severely decreases hit chances...

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.