Starting M3/M3+'s, What's your favourite?

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Starting M3/M3+'s, What's your favourite?

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 11 years ago.

I've tried numerous times to play a Terran start, but I have the same problem as Tank, lack of accuracy of the EMPC. Even the E-EMPC that fits the Spitfyre suffers from it, which is a crying shame as it makes the Spitfyre largely useless in my opinion.

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I've always found the nova, or if possible, the nova prototype, to be one of the best starting M3s you could acquire, it has a rear turret for missile defense, it can use the high energy plasma thrower, my personal favorite, and if you're lucky you can mount a plasma burst gen, which I think is great for assassination missions. Speed and cargo are both decent, and the price is reasonable. Not the best M3, but it's gotta be high on the list, I still find myself using a Nova for flying around and running errands, and as my fighter craft of choice.

If my mission goal was pissing off the entire ATF fleet, then consider it a success!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I like the Nova Proto for a lot of reasons (100 Mj of shields and top speed 187m/s among them), but it can't mount PBGs, which is a shame. The Nova Raider can mount them though, and a lot of players will say that an 8 PBG equipped Nova Raider is the best fighter in the game.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 11 years ago.

Just a little tip: Ions are probably the best weapon to put on a turret for missile defense, as they basically can't miss, and insta hit any missile. They also have the advantage of weakening the shields of anyone behind you, but with out causing (significant) hull damage, which is great for capping! If you want to decrease the chance of the Ion hitting friendlies, put it on 'Missile Only'. Strangely enough, the basic Nova and the Venti are the only M3s that can take an Ion in the rear turret! And I find that PBE's and PRG's are not very effective in turrets, as the computer does not fire them at full speed, it bursts them for some reason, which make them a lot worse...

I will be the one to take you down!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Strangely enough, the basic Nova and the Venti are the only M3s that can take an Ion in the rear turret!
- RandomTank

Don't forget about the Skate mate Wink I've got Ions in the turrets o' my Skate in my current DiD :p

You don't like PBEs or PRGs in turrets? Eek Wow. I've had huge success with both. PRGs make excellent anti-fighter turrets on M6, and PBEs are amazing anti-missile defense due to high bullet speed.

ThornandSpec

ThornandSpec avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 11 years ago.

I like the Nova Proto for a lot of reasons (100 Mj of shields and top speed 187m/s among them), but it can't mount PBGs, which is a shame. The Nova Raider can mount them though, and a lot of players will say that an 8 PBG equipped Nova Raider is the best fighter in the game.
- Kirlack

8 PBGs?! Jeez, I'd lag like crazy! XD I don't doubt it though, whenever I see PBGs I turn the other way or if it's too late, load a save file, have to be careful around those, I still avoid fighting them in M6 class ships as well as in weaker M7s.

If my mission goal was pissing off the entire ATF fleet, then consider it a success!
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

Oh, PRGs and PBEs are good for missile killing, but attacking ships when set on 'Missile Defence' the computer doesn't fire full-auto, it bursts, which combined with the low damage per shot its not very effective at killing tailing M5/4s. It fires full auto when set on 'Attack Enemies' (sometimes), but then it won't prioritise missiles on that setting...

Yeah I don't like PBGs either, but I find that scanning pirates first, then sniping the ones that have PBGs with a tempest or 2 cuts them out pretty efficiently. A ship that has 600mJ+ of shields can take quite a bit of punishment from 1 or 2 PBGs, but if you are that close to them, and have the advantage in shields, just ram the buggers, it's a pretty effective weapon...

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 11 years ago.

I
Started using the enhanced kea .wow More sheilds then a blastclaw proto.and more cargo.got it after the tormented teldeai start

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Oh, PRGs and PBEs are good for missile killing, but attacking ships when set on 'Missile Defence' the computer doesn't fire full-auto, it bursts, which combined with the low damage per shot its not very effective at killing tailing M5/4s. It fires full auto when set on 'Attack Enemies' (sometimes), but then it won't prioritise missiles on that setting...
- RandomTank

Is it possible that you're experiencing the 'burst fire' because your ships weapon generator is getting low? Just a thought. I tend to have my turrets set to 'missiles only', and use a lot of missiles to thin my targets out from a distance.

I Started using the enhanced kea .wow More sheilds then a blastclaw proto.and more cargo.got it after the tormented teldeai start

- Scott

Yeah, the Enhanced Kea is an awesome starting fighter Big grin What speed to you get it at (it comes overtuned, same as the Hyperion in the PP start. I got mine at 182m/s, and with the huge shielding and massive cargo bay I stuck with it for most of that game Big grin Great ship Big grin

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

@Kirlack Honestly, I don't know. I've got plenty of energy in the generator, but it does it with any high rate of fire weapon, even PACs; on missile defence it just takes casual pot-shots at fighters, but on Attack Enemies it will fire at full RPM, I don't know why...

Yeah i love the enhanced Kea, fantastic fighter, I just wish it was easier to obtain; they never fly about so the only way to get one when not playing the Tormented Teladi start is to get real friendly with a certain company...

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Man, that's wierd. I've never heard of anyone reporting that kind of behaviour from their turrets before.

The trouble with getting the enhanced Kea from NMMC is that it'll never be as fast as the overtuned one from the TT start, which is a shame. I've never managed to find a use for the non overtuned version in my fleet, as it's too slow for me to use as a personal fighter.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I don't mind that it is a bit slow, because I would only use it as a combat-cargo retrieval ship, as it is well shielded, and has a very large cargo bay. I would still use it as a wingman though, because it can take quite good weaponry as well, but for a main ship I would use an Eclipse or Venti.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I find it's too slow to use as a wingman to be honest, but then I don't like my wing to be slower than my own ship (as I end up forgetting about them and they get left several sectors behind lol). It does make a good cargo retrieval ship though, so does the Blastclaw Proto Smile

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Some of my favourite wingmen are Solanos, Pirate Busters or Pirate Buzzards, due to heavy shields, large cargo, good generators and super speeds combo. M3 wise: Scimitars if I can get them, because NPCs are quite good with EMPCs, but I also use Nova Raiders, Falcon Haulers, Basic Perseus' and sometimes Susanowas (Basic or Raiders); but I have to say, my most favourite M3 wingman is the: Pirate Falcon Vanguard!!! It's well shielded, not the fastest, tiny cargo bay, but it has a MASSIVE generator for its class (it's better than the one on the Hydra!), and I just love them!

« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.