Strafing = Broke, any other maneuvering tips?

Home Board Index » X3: Terran Conflict » Strafing = Broke, any other maneuvering tips?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Did any of you know that the Space Suit strafes at about 80m/s? I had to do a resource delivery for the Terrans to raise my rep; it was to deliver about 9000 nrg cells to a station in Mars in about 10-12 mins, paid 2.5mill; so I got the cells into my Caiman Super Frieghter XL, jumped it to asteroid belt, and then accepted the mission. I realised that my caiman was on 60% hull (I still don't know how, I presume ramming), so I flew to it in my kestrel, and proceeded to strafe next to it while repairing it; it was only when it got to about 85% hull when it started to get away from me, so I was quite surprised how fast the spacesuit can go! I was just thinking, does anyone know how fast an Aran can strafe? Because that could be quite useful... And also, is there any other tips anyone knows about this sort of thing?

I will be the one to take you down!
Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Level badge Specoguey (14)
Posted 10 years ago.

All ships have the same strafe speed. The slower the ship, the more noticeable the boost from strafing. Smile

Madder than a Bastard on fathers day.
My DiDs: Peace(s) of Eight - Way of the Gun - Status: Online, A Xenon DiD
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Ahhhh right.... Wait Wait, does this mean that the broadside Brigantine or Akuma is faster going side-ways than it is going forward!?! Wow....

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

If you're strafing in two direction simultaneously, and using that extra speed to boost your forward velocity, you could get an Akuma to roll at ~130m/s Wink

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Even with a Space Suit at 80m/s isnt not exactly going to be out running anything. I personally dont use Strafing in my games, as I feel its abit unfair as the AI cant do it.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

True, but when you're flying a capital ship and can pull an extra 80m/s velocity out of the bag, sometimes you just need to Wink

You don't strafe Roguey? :o Damn, man. If I didn't strafe I'd be dead, soooooooo many times over!

DangerClose

DangerClose avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I feel its abit unfair as the AI cant do it.
- Roguey

Fair? Like using nividium, intelligence, the jumpdrive or the plots? You don't want things to be fair, trust me.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Ooo, 130 for an Akuma? Ouch! I knew about the strafe-boost trick, I just didn't know it had that much of a boost! Wow!
I bet Roguey just pulls normal evasive, or barrel-rolls the heavy damage shots away!

I don't use nvidium, apart from the plot requirements; I'll just get the exact amount that I need...

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

not sure what you mean by strafe? I know what it means in the military but not sure here please explain Thanks

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Using the W,A,S and D keys for lateral movement Scott?

Scott

Scott avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I just use mouse is that way better?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

It's moving sideways or up/down without turning in that direction, it's meant for dodging fire a fine tuning ship placement. I really only use strafing to move my ship a bit closer to other to cap them, or just a general bit of easy movement when flying, I find that sticking the controls on mouse follow mode, moving the mouse slightly to the right/left then rolling can work really well for fire evasion. There isn't a better way out of the two, because they are different, but try it out next time you play, you'll notice that your ship slowly moves in the direction you pressed, but without having to turn to face.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I agree with RandomTank, it's not really 'better', it's just how different people play Smile Personally I use a combination of mouse follow mode and strafe, even throwing a little boresight fire in for fun :p But if you've not tried it, I highly recommend it, especially if you're flying a capital ship.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I basically only use boresight now, because mouse-follow shooting doesn't use the targeting computer's auto-aim, it just fires exactly where the cursor is.

The only real exception is when i'm firing at a TL, because the auto-aim drags your shots into a place that would miss the ship; it's hard to exlpain, but try it next time (best ship is an elephant) just stick the auto-aim on, and use boresight fire to shoot generally nearby to the assist crosshair, it will shoot in a really weird place...

Sinxar

Sinxar avatar
Level badge Cruguey (18)
Posted 10 years ago.

I basically only use boresight now, because mouse-follow shooting doesn't use the targeting computer's auto-aim, it just fires exactly where the cursor is.

The only real exception is when i'm firing at a TL, because the auto-aim drags your shots into a place that would miss the ship; it's hard to exlpain, but try it next time (best ship is an elephant) just stick the auto-aim on, and use boresight fire to shoot generally nearby to the assist crosshair, it will shoot in a really weird place...
- RandomTank

Yea I got into the habit of doing the same thing. I usually have to abandon boresight when shooting at an M5/M4 with a slower ship. Auto aim never seems to hit those guys, especially when using a weapon with a low projectile speed. As for strafing, I've always used it since Reunion. The AI in AP seems to have gotten a bit better at hitting a strafing target though so I don't feel bad using it because its generally 3v1 or 5v1, I need every advantage I can get.

Kirlack

Kirlack avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I think it depends which weapons you're using as well to be honest. PBEs for instance I almost exclusively use boresight fire, but then the high bullet speed and miniscule range allow for it. I've recently started a Terran Defender game in TC, and there's no way I could survive most of the combat without strafe and boresight fire, as I find EMPCs are just too inaccurate.

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.