Wait what?

I will be the one to take you down!
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Wait what?
- RandomTank

It was leaked out in an interview and by some presumably beta testers that Autopilot if gone. You fly your ship or you don't but there is no sitting back and watching your ship fly somewhere. Weird thing to take out of the game unless the AI pathing blows... which I can tell you it does.

Arguably the AI Pathing in Rebirth is actually worse than it was in X3 Cry

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

Arguably the AI Pathing in Rebirth is actually worse than it was in X3 Cry

How so? Cry

No Autopilot?! what the...! if this is true, well... this is not good... but wait... what about the co-pilot? Eek

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Eh, no auto pilot doesn't matter too much to me, I like flying; I never really trusted it either, too many cases of ramming SPPs....

TBH, the pathing in X3 is quite good, it was just kinda ruined by the collision detection hit-boxes being FRIKKING MASSIVE. I wonder if they've done anything about that at least... How do you mean made the pathing worse anyway? Question mark

I will be the one to take you down!
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Arguably the AI Pathing in Rebirth is actually worse than it was in X3

How so?

No Autopilot?! what the...! if this is true, well... this is not good... but wait... what about the co-pilot?
- Raptor

You will see.

In X3 the ship would smash itself against obstructions over and over to get through. In Rebirth it attempts to bounce and repath often smashing itself into the obstruction again, if there are multiple ships in the same area, they all smash into each other like a nuclear reaction.

Raptor

Raptor avatar
Level badge Instruguey (13)
Posted 10 years ago.

if there are multiple ships in the same area, they all smash into each other like a nuclear reaction

LOL I hope this is not right

It does not matter what we were in the past but what we are now, what we do and what we are going to be, our destiny.
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

if there are multiple ships in the same area, they all smash into each other like a nuclear reaction
I hope this is not right
- Raptor

Unfortunately it looks like the idea behind pathing in arc around objects calculated from destination to current location is great until you introduce other moving objects. The system cannot calculate the "future" position of the other object and does not compensate until that object intersects the path line.

Resulting in crashes, then if both objects re-plot to avoid and happen to re-plot in each others' intercepts... crash. Introduce a dozen or so ships (remember there is busy fodder everywhere in Rebirth now) and you get hilarious results.

This was mentioned early by testers but was ignored.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

hi, hmm.. I guess some of what you been saying makes sense, about he AI path finding (ie. cant predict future events, although this would be next to impossible to predict anyway)... however there is one big detail you missed out. Ships can not kill each other by ramming into each other any-more - they just bounce off. So no more deaths from collisions - this may come as a welcomed feature (Something the community hasnt heard too many of). Other than that I cant really comment more.

This was something Bernd decided to do after feedback in previous games.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I am sorry Roguey, I did not mention that. Yes the collision damage is gone and it looks like Jita/Perimeter gate in Eve now. Hence why they continue to bounce around instead of blowup.

AlexanderSziller

AlexanderSziller avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

Removal of collision damage?

Thats actually neat.
A small insurance, if the AI won´t be that good as they said, at least it wont hurt anyone.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

Removal of collision damage?

Thats actually neat.
A small insurance, if the AI won´t be that good as they said, at least it wont hurt anyone.
- AlexanderSziller

Ah, the justification to dumb down a once great franchise... Cold

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Well to be honest, collision damage was annoying until you got a capital ship... but even then it caused a few problems, as it would lower your rep and reduce your shields down.

SpiritOfDeath

SpiritOfDeath avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hmm, colision damage, gone... im not sure if i should be happy that i dont have to deal with freighters bouncing off asteroids or stations any more, or if i should be sad, that i cant sit in a fast Cap ship, and start ramming into whatever ships i see fit.

However, i do like the idea that instead of being the heldsmen of the ship, steering it, you can just walk up to the captain, and just say "shoot that!"

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! *falls over*

don't look at me D:
« 1 2

You need to log-in to post here.