While we wait for Rebirth to come out of NICU

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » While we wait for Rebirth to come out of NICU

AngryToaster

AngryToaster avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

Has anyone here played much Mount & Blade: Warband? It's made by a company in Turkey. You're basically an upstart warlord in a highly condensed dark age Eurasia. You start as a single, barely equipped warrior. Over time you raise and train a personal army. The battles are like a setpiece rts, but from the perspective of the single warrior you control directly. You command your army by physically traveling around the battlefield and telling your men to charge or follow you or hold position. These commands are simple, but considering you also have to directly fight yourself, simple is good. You pay for your army's expenses by looting villages, capturing territory, and even building businesses inside large towns. Aside from some rpg mechanics, your personal combat power is increased by purchasing equipment from vendors or looting it from the battlefield. This includes everything from horses to armor to a wide array of weapons.

It's a good game, although I remember when it came out there was some controversy about some of the design changes from its predecessor, Mount & Blade 3. That was more of a stategy/sim game. You spent most of your time building castles and villages, then organizing peasants to carry goods between them. The beginning of the game had you on horseback, questing against bandits for loot and pay from local villages. Eventually though, you had to focus on your properties and hire guards to fight bandits for you. Probably for the best, since large numbers or troops involved starring at a map and issuing overly specific orders from a bunch of dropdown menus. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, though. You could still go out and fight yourself. It was just best to do it from atop a huge slow-moving siege tower filled with archers and catapults manned by npcs.

Just something to keep in mind while you wait for XR patches.

Ranalune

Ranalune avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

M&B are great games. Quite repetitive in the long run (for me anyway), but it is a good find. There are quite a few mods for these games too (and for the graphics it is quite, hummm, necessary too say the least).

Hum may be worth to reinstall those. But I guess I will try to finish the XR campaign (with much blood and sweat loss :p), as 1.14 seemed to have fixed the most buggy parts of the campaign.

SpiritOfDeath

SpiritOfDeath avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

I play a M&B star wars conversion mod. I dont know why, but i could never get into the medieval setting of M&B, which is quite odd, because i usually like medieval settings.
If anyone is intrested in the mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/swconquest/

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! *falls over*

don't look at me D:

You need to log-in to post here.