Key information to get a refund for X Rebirth

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Key information to get a refund for X Rebirth

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

Since I posted this several times in the official forums already, but it always goes down the list, I thought that I might as well sum this up here:

To get a refund anywhere, you will need to argue that Egosoft held back all real information by e.g. actively disallowing any sorts of neutral reviews while intentionally spreading wrong information and lies. This results in a customer having been "mislead" prior to purchasing while not having had a chance to know what he buys - which in most countries and even steam is an exceptional reason to get a refund due to the product having been lied about in key features.

The key information lies in this interview:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129117-Egosoft-Boss-X-Rebirth-Reboot-Sheds-Limitations-of-Legacy

And this is the relevant quote:

Any fan of space simulations will find the UI in X Rebirth easy to use and much more intuitive, but the 'Trade, Fight, Build, Think' gameplay elements and interaction remain as deep as X game fans have come to expect.
- "Bernd"

Since none of the above is true to any extent while Egosoft refused to allow neutral reviews of any type, everyone is be entitled to get a refund. Also pointing at a plethora of reviews and complaints everywhere is helpful to back your case.

The shop might try to refuse anyways, but you might just threaten with undesired publicity for that shop or even a lawsuite 'cause it's your very right to get your money back if you have been lied to.

Also I added a poll for those who like to share how it worked for them.

Hope this helps !

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I created a Steam ticket, was going to get the refund but later decided against it and closed it down. I am incredibly disappointed with this game, but decided I'm going to keep it just to see where Ego take the series from now on.

I hope they will realize the failed fruits of trying to consolize this franchise, and start remaking the game more towards PC again. The game ultimately does have potential.

However, I realistically know that I'm just dreaming, and no changes they make will effect will jeopardize a future console release. This is what we're stuck with.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I am incredibly disappointed with this game, but decided I'm going to keep it just to see where Ego take the series from now on.
- Fallent

My suggestion is to return the game, observe it without risk - you won't play anyways, right ? - and if things look smooth in their forum buy it again for cheaper.

Tonsilgon

Tonsilgon avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

I will not return it.
I hope that Egosoft learned the lesson and I want to give them a chance to reanimate the game and make it a real X-Game in the near future.
They can't do that without money.

But maybe much of this is only kind of patriotic thinking, as I am a german and ES is one of the few german companies that still make games.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

But maybe much of this is only kind of patriotic thinking, as I am a german and ES is one of the few german companies that still make games.
- Tonsilgon

I am in the same boat there, but my "patriotic thinking" got killed by them intentionally and outright lieing into everybody's face. There's no excuse for that ever in my view, so... I don't quite care how it ends, especially since fixing up XR will probably take at least as long as the competition's releases which - in the form of Star Citizen - are designed to be 100x XR.

Either way, I learnt that getting the desired software is more important than loyalty in some cases.

SpiritOfDeath

SpiritOfDeath avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I will not return it for one simple reason.
Everything that has been promised, is in there.
Yes, not in a bundle that is useful but fun, but it is in the game, my fault for jumping the gun and pre ordering. If everything i was promised is in a game, is there, i just have to deal with it if i dont like it, or just not play. By the sides, it was only $55 (Australia currency) which i have quickly made back.

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! *falls over*

don't look at me D:
Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Everything that has been promised, is in there.
- SpiritOfDeath

Dunno where you get this perception of yours from, but their promises are far beyond what is "in there". Have a look at this extract from my latest Egosoft Forum signature:
"Any fan of space simulations will find the UI in X Rebirth easy to use and much more intuitive, but the 'Trade, Fight, Build, Think' gameplay elements and interaction remain as deep as X game fans have come to expect"
- "Bernd Lehahn"

Seriously, none of the above was delivered and the lack of it was intentionally hidden until release. Thus he made good profit from selling lies, which he commented with
"I would like to say how amazed we all are here by the huge success of the game"
- "Bernd Lehahn"

... basically telling everyone how happily he ripped them off without qualms.

Anyhow, returning the game or not is your choice, just saying that you have plenty of right to do so, no matter how much the distributors might try to refuse it. Pointing at the above quotes and the corresponding customer protection laws did the trick for anyone I heard of.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

yea I heard the same thing from bernd too, so happy about the sales. I do feel they are missing the other-side of the coin - the reviews. So far I havnt seen a single one over 50%.

So, I can see why you guys are frustrated, especially after such a long wait and cost. XR should of been so much more.

Fallent

Fallent avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

I think this game is going to go the way of Dragon Age 2. Great initial sales based on the hype and trust of the previous games for the first few weeks, then massively drop off into oblivion.

Dragon Age Origins had tons of great selling DLC, but DA2 when everyone saw how shit it was, they only made one or two pieces because no one bought it.

I think Bernd should enjoy his money while he can, because it's about to dry up faster then a drop of water in the desert.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

yea I heard the same thing from bernd too, so happy about the sales. I do feel they are missing the other-side of the coin - the reviews. So far I havnt seen a single one over 50%.

So, I can see why you guys are frustrated, especially after such a long wait and cost. XR should of been so much more.
- Roguey

The good news is that SC is somewhat close about, at least relative to XR and it's current condition: Looking at the massive lack of gameplay and features across the board, XR would easily need 2 years to get en par with X³AP - by that time titles like SC should have hit the market and will most likely allow much more than XR ever will, especially considering that "single player" is just to get started and you then continue either in the MMO or your own server - which can be "single player" too, if you so chose, and gets you with a fully moddable universe to your liking into which you can even invite friends whenever you like.

That's why I consider refunding now and deciding later where to spend the money the optimal choice. That is, if you don't consider the refunding process to much work.

Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

This might be interesting for some of you people: Someone in the Egosoft forums provided some details for refunds in the UK:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353919 which leads to
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/281679/buggy-game-purchasers-entitled-to-refund/

Joint Lead Officer Sylvia Rook from the Trading Standards Institute said: "When consumers buy goods their rights are always against the retailer, so if there is a problem with a game, the consumer should return it to the retailer.

"The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that goods should be of satisfactory quality, fit for their purpose and as described. If the game is faulty, then the consumer should be entitled to a refund from the retailer (although it is not unreasonable for the retailer to return it to the manufacturer in order to ensure it is, indeed, faulty and it is not operator error, or a problem with the consumer's computer)."

if you want a refund do not settle for anything less. if steam refuse or whoever sold it then contact trading standards: www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

[EDIT] Little update since it fits here with a perfect Steam refund:

Picture

And of course there's always the main "XR refund thread" in the Egosoft forum:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4244565#4244565

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Ahhhh... The Distance Selling Regulations... basically a giant middle finger to any shop/business ever

Nice one Mauzi, some slight knowledge of basic UK trade law and now any company has to kiss your toes... ROFL

I will be the one to take you down!
Mauzi

Mauzi avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

The Distance Selling Regulations... basically a giant middle finger to any shop/business ever
- RandomTank

It sure is, at least for anyone selling via internet or the like. Especially since there's a lot of people ordering stuff via internet with the intent to return it, to just have a look at it e.g. out of curiosity or to compare products.

But there's also Trade Standards Regulations that disallow frauds, which in this case easily apply as well, no matter how much effort they put into trying to not refund.

retribution1987

retribution1987 avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

i pre-ordered, and i'm not disappointed, the game came out in bad shape, but they are being quick to fix it

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Ahhhh... The Distance Selling Regulations... basically a giant middle finger to any shop/business ever
- RandomTank

No, not at all - its actually one of the better laws passed. The long distance trading act allows you to check a item, because you cant do that with internet sales. ie. take an item of clothing, in a shop you can check it over then and there, and decide whether to buy it. However on the the net is physically impossible to check something over. The item could be £100+, so you can send it back for a refund (minus P&P). You wouldnt want to be stuck with something which you didnt like in the flesh. Now with steam, its iffy - they supply the goods through digital means, and technically they supplied them. However youre probably trying to get the money back because youre saying its not fit for purpose.

Im not law guy, but usually the best thing is to wait for the rewiews before buying. I had a few games recently which didnt live up to expectation, so I wait for the reviews now. Steam do there part of delivering the goods.

Its a shame things are like this Cry

You need to log-in to post here.