X3-Rebirth, food for thought.

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » X3-Rebirth, food for thought.

jjhawk

jjhawk avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 10 years ago.

Ok a long time ago I had an idea to make a mod with an alternative x-universe with a story. I had planned a whole new economy that made sense; everything had a purpose and everything had to be constructed in-game, meaning no spawning enemies for example..

I had this idea back when x-reunion was the main x-game so you can imagine this was quite a few years back... I did touch on some of this while I was testing for Roguey mod, but I got the feeling back then that my ideas were just too radical for the x-community and my modding skills were lacking for such a project alone..

I stopped playing x and went back to Neverwinter Nights as rpg's are my true love when it comes to games.. I ended up playing a mod called A Dance With Rogues that really showed what could be done In a mod with a little imagination and to make it better this mod was created by a female modder... After Valine made ADWR 2 I then became inspired to start modding myself...

I played around with the construction set In NWN 1 while waiting for the release of Warhammer age of reckoning mmorpg with my rp guild and began writing stories for my character background and one of these stories became the inspiration for the NWN mod I was to make..

I'm going to list a few things I did with the NWN construction set that will pretty much blow anyone away who is familiar with it.. I created whole systems to control armies around a map In formations like table top warhammer, like playing total war driven by a menu system activated from an item.. I created ship to ship battles with working siege engines.. It had a complex diplomacy system and to top it off I had a great story that developed depending on your characters decisions and interactive cut-scenes, yes I said interactive...

At the same time as this I was working on another small mod to test a working economy with towns and cities... I achieved all this through sheer determination and the vision to create something different.. My mother always told me, “There is no such word as can't.”

The moral of the story is, we could make X3-Rebirth!! Why should we wait for Egosoft to fix up a game that we don't want? Egosoft have lost the proverbial plot with Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous just around the corner catering for the market they were trying to edge into..
The Egosoft dev team lack any real creativity, they fixed things that were not broken and to top it off they lack the ability to tell stories and the stories they do tell leave more questions than they answer.

I would like to hear what other people think and listen to other creative minds... or am I simply alone with simple ideas that are after all this time too radical for the x-community to handle?

Ranalune

Ranalune avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

X-community is open minded, as far as each implementation of a game does not cut on features Smile
You want ideas, I will try to elaborate. Note that I don't know how to mod, and that is just ideas

I still have hope for rebirth because it has some (bad implemented or not fully developed) features that I strive for : having NPC in fighters, having a squadron commander, having engineers, manager in stations to, well, keep the business going...:p

The problem here is that the way it is done do not give full credit to the idea. It should expand the playing grounds :

- NPC should grow stronger (experience gained though battles, deals...). You should be able to promote them when enough XP is made, giving them more scripts (new commands, better skills...), depending on their class (engineer, manager, pilot, captain..). With this you should be able to elaborate complex IA behaviors. having for example commander of fleets able to handle many formations of squadrons (with different tactics available), and captains managing the squadrons etc... Honing your hirelings skill would then be quite essential, having recruits patrol minor / secured sectors and veterans in the front lines etc...

- Another thing would be to "normalize" ships, by type, and with "costs".
Say that your average fighter has 100 points to allocate to things like weapon power, durability, shields...
Having such a design would allow to implement new ships (from mods) and to balance it on the go. I always felt that importing ships was the way to go" in previous X to have a real taste of building its own empire. Problem was to find balance, without relying with premade full re-balance mods, when I wanted, maybe a Tie fighter with a star trek capship....

- Diplomacy was advertised but lacking. Limited wars should have broken in peripheral (??) sectors between factions (with alliances).

- Sector take over was also great. But it was, well too limited, I think it should be more brutal, as an existing faction should have more punch than a player :p. with good relations with the player, races should be able to help (or not) the player....

- I hope that a "FPS mod" will enable us to board ships with our marines (the fps basics is there, it should be expended !

- a tactical map to manage (or follow) large fleet battles, organize patrols, system defenses....

That's just what I dream(ed) about (and can remember now :p). I guess this community is quite imaginative, and things where developed earlier (mostly by moders) that blown my mind for past X games.
I just hope this new game will allow another generation of great mods to come to life !

You need to log-in to post here.