Upcoming expansion details (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Upcoming expansion details (HEAVY SPOILERS)

AlexanderSziller

AlexanderSziller avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 8 years ago.

So we managed to dig out some info from the game files.
It's definitely incomplete, but better than nothing: (well, actually it's quite a lot of info)

So the DLC is called "Home of Light", and involves around Terracorp and their allies - Terrans. Focusing on mining and technology.
The system is under threat by Khaak. Yup, they were almost wiped out, but not completly.
There's a pirate faction, called the "Atlas", they're enemies to the Terrans and Terracorp.

There may be a new plotline, not sure what it's about though.
I've read about some jumpdrive anomalies, but I can't tell if they're just plot events, or can occur normally. But it seems similar to the Unfocused jumpdrive from X3.

Tons of new stations are incoming. Terracorp officies, civilian habitation, terran colonies, pirate stations, civilian blocks along highways. Science labs. A working Aqueduct water collector (there's one in Maelstorm already, but the xenon control that area).
But also, a warehouse station. It seems like the player can build one too.

New weapons are coming too. Plasma Cannon Mk3 and Railgun Mk1. Not sure what they do.

A new transporter ship, M-sized, will be added to the Canterran shipyard. Not sure if it's related to the DLC.

There are traces of Boron and Paranid in the files. But I think that they'll only come as NPCs on stations and crew, they won't be a faction and won't have their own ships/stations/space.
- Earth Ultimatum IV.

Overall, I'm really looking forward to it. Terrans are my top-favorite faction from Egosoft games.
I'm not too happy with Terracorp coming back, as we already have many Argon factions... But okay, let it be.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

well, I do admire egosoft's enthusiasm for Rebirth - they dont seem to want to put it down. I guess it will be a paid DLC, probably something like £8 or something with a release at/around 15-16th December.

Im not that keen on seeing the Khaak again... I thought that story was concluded, and since they came from X2 (with no model changes all the way upto X3TC). Surely ego could of came up with something new - rather than rehashing an old one? Dont get me wrong, I used to like the khaak way back but they are old news. Egosoft redoing of enmies isnt the best; never like the new xenon at all. TerraCorp is a bit of bummer too, and as you said there are enough factions already (which leads to confusion). I thought XR wasnt supposed to be another x-game, yet they seem to be borrowing more ideas from the previous games. Next egosoft will be making a new game, calling it X-Phoenix were you can swap ships (X-Tension).

As for weapons, Mk2 variants dont really interest me - just change a few numbers (which most mod makers can do). Railguns arent that fun either, we have them in Elite and they are very hard to aim because of the long recharge time. You are normally better off using another type of weapon, or I find so.

So I guess great news for those who enjoy XR at the moment.

AlexanderSziller

AlexanderSziller avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

As for weapons, Mk2 variants dont really interest me - just change a few numbers

In Teladi Outpost, they added a Pulsed Maser Mk3, and it's not just a change of numbers, it's almost a completly different weapon (and I really like it). Unlike the basic Pulsed Maser, the Mk3 fires weak projectiles that stick to enemy ship and do damage over time. The more projectiles are stuck to the ship, the more damage is done per second.

They also added a Particle Accelerator Mk3, not sure what it does, never had it myself.
Kinda looking forward to the Plasma Cannon Mk3, one of my favorite weapons. Together with the new weapon modifications, it sounds interesting.

How do you know that Khaak will re-use the same models?
I don't believe in that, not until I see it myself. Not that I'd care, Khaak are my second least-favorite race, just after the Boron.

BigVern

BigVern avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Must admit the old Khaak have been done to death, but like the Daleks in Dr Who, they never seem to be completely killed off. However maybe it's time for a change of tack on the Khaak, perhaps some actual interaction (I imagine they look something like the Shadow Warriors out of Babylon 5) to the point that they're not the real enemy but an even greater threat lurks forcing you to work in partnership with them.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 8 years ago.

Well Im pretty sure the Khaak were modeled after species 8472 (from Star-trek) whilst the Xenon being the Borg Borg (also from Star-trek). Finally ive been able to use that borg smiley.

As you say, its a shame they didnt come up with something new, or at-least different than their previous races. Coming up with something completely new is very difficult - most sci-fi's have done most things by now, but still Khaak... again?

Weapon wise, well I stop playing a long time ago - never really looked at the Teladi outpost, just added some stats to my site. So I never tried it, I just guess it was a stat change because of its labeling.

as for my comment about the khaak reusing models, I was kind-of saying; I hope they havnt because that would be terrible idea!

Imarikurumi

Imarikurumi avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 8 years ago.

I like the Khaak but i'm open to new adversaries too though i would love to see the redesigned Khaak in XR. I wasn't too happy with the new Xenon designs in XR to be honest, they just feel weird and out of place. I hope to see a biological opponent like Tyranids from Warhammer 40k as the new adversary, Khaak seems to fit in this category but i don't think Khaak could be considered bio, they just have a hive mind.

Anyways, i really want Egosoft to start fully reintroducing the commonwealth races. So far we kinda have fleshed out Argon faction while Split, Terrans(Canterans) only have a few stuff in. Teladi has the 2nd most content ingame i would say. We've yet to see Boron and Paranid. Man, i really want to see the new Split ships and stations. I saw one of the concept art of a split station/city in the collectors edition DLC, really looking forward to how Split ships and stations would look like in the XR verse.

Sparks

Sparks avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 8 years ago.

The other new weapon in the TO was the Heavy Laser 1, which is sort of like a Mining Laser 3 that lacks auto-aim and has trickier heat management but offers partial shield penetration for your efforts.

Kurt Ralston

Kurt Ralston avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Personally I would love to see the Sohen back in the game as a race to be friends or foes with it would make thing interesting because they were created by the ancients and they are quiet powerful but I totally would like to see the other race like the Boron, Paranid hell even if they were to come up with a species similar to the Asari out of Mass Effect would be nice hell even designs of ships would be a treat in my books.

pesanur

pesanur avatar
Posted 8 years ago.

Aldrin with the friendly terraformes as a new race can be a nice addition to Rebirth.

You need to log-in to post here.