Guess the specs

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Guess the specs

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 12 years ago.

What do you think the required minimum / recommended will be for rebirth? Here's some shots to help:

Picture
Picture
Picture

I guess the minimum will be something like dual core, 2/4gb? not sure on gfx card,

Whilst the recommended will be something like quad core, 8gb - again not sure on gfx card.

It will be interesting to see how accurate we are with our guesses.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 12 years ago.

I agree on the quad core. Probably it will be recommended anyway. Through egosoft usually is quite nice on the RAM usage, so I guess they are going for ~6GB to be the preffered/recommended.
About the GFX card, support for DX11 will be a must, and ~512MB RAM on it probably. Other then that, they'll probably try to make it work for something like the 250GTX/275GTX, through a graphics card with dual core chips will be preffered again Big grin

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

you sure 6gb is enough? TC really wanted 4gb remmeber.

hmm.. I guess it depends on how the planets are done. If they are made up from large textures (which is starting to seem an old way of doing it), then its going to need a lot of ram. those dds take up a lot of space.

I do agree on the 512mb gfx - thats starting to be the standard amount of ram gfx required by games.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 12 years ago.

Well they can revamp the engine. Think about it this way, X3R and X3TC share the same engine...so why is X3TC such a resource hog?
Cause they had to hack in stuff...I'm not bashing, they probably didn't have any other choice, but now if they really go to work on a new engine they can make it happen.
Also the planets will probably use some kind of jump-gate style, e.g. load new stuff. I'm guessing they'll be considered a system, just diff. physycs or sth like that. It makes the most sense.
This about it this way, you got hundreds of cities on a planet, and thousand of miles of...nothing...you really think people will want to traverse those distances just to deliver something, or find the right town?
Then you gotta think about planet rotation and the entry vector to the planet. Now I'm planet side, and I start of, go to space, turn 180 and head back to the planet...oh sh** I'm in the middle of nowhere...
That's why I'm guessing they'll go with the one city for a planet model, and have loading screens for planet entry or sth like that.
Taking it a step further, I think there will be 2 engines, one for space and one for planet/stations. The first is known by now, the second, well it only takes a small loading screen, the difference is not in the graphics but the physycs engine, and that can be loaded/exchanged pretty fast. This way you can walk around ships, walk around stations, and actually walk around planet-city's.

With all that in mind, and the possibility of multi-thread support, I think the RAM specs won't be all that bad...but the CPU might be a bit of an overkill Big grin

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 12 years ago.

Planet landing has been a requested feature for a while. If they dont do it this time, I doubt egosoft will ever do planet landing. A few games are doing seamless planet landings now too. Although without planet landings wouldnt be too bad. To me using large bulky textures seems a little old fashion... surely there is a better way now? Take a look:

For me, since X2 - the X titles have felt more of a graphical upgrade than anything else. Ego did more or less confirm this by saying how much the graphic modules were updated. Hopefully the bold state of starting again, means rebirth wont be TC with updated graphic module and nothing else.

As for TC memory usage, it was simply because of the large models and textures it used. TC was basically modified version of X3 with XTM.

Mike_slain3

Mike_slain3 avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 12 years ago.

That video is very impressive. Looks seamless

Picture
Elsenor

Elsenor avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 12 years ago.

Well we are still guessing as they have opend up a forum "FOR WHAT". They are going to answer some questions and help us figure out what is going on. Well they missed by miles, just a load of nothing about working and "WHY" this is not what we want. Anyone read the latest gobbldygook. What a waste of time effort and space.

The Old Man

You need to log-in to post here.