Why Deep Silver... Why?

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » Why Deep Silver... Why?

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Why does Egosoft continue to use Deep Silver when (in NA) they never advertise their games and they do not even offer physical copies any more...

Wouldn't it make more sense to just contract right to Steam and use Steam to advertise as well... along with their obviously loyal fanbase?

I mean it appears as if Deep Silver is just holding them back right now, or is Egosoft in such absolute dire financial weakness that they need the upfront cash from the publisher?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 11 years ago.

That is true. At stage ego relied on the disc sales, but now I guess they don't need them at all. I never saw x3ap for sale in shops here, our game shops are pretty bad at stocking PC games.

Steam is one of the few ways to get PC games here. If ego went direct, would that mean they have less money at first? Although decisions like this maybe looked at if rebirth is success. I can't see ego ditching Deep Silver yet.. I guess Rebirth will decide a lot of things, if it gets released.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 11 years ago.

Any time I can google Star Citizen which is supposed to be a year behind Rebirth but I get 50 pages of info, updates and thousands of videos and pictures; but I google Rebirth and I get a smattering of AP and TC pics and stories and a bunch of links to this site; There is a problem.

SC has 1/4th the staff and even less cash to do it with, but they are winning the development and marketing war.

jaml

jaml avatar
Level badge Markoguey (10)
Posted 11 years ago.

Indeed, everything about Rebirth is stunted. Not enough info, vids, screens... and above all NO RELEASE DATE!!! (form what time - lol - 5years?)
I think SC is winning becouse there is no publisher! O.o
The second thing is that Chris Robert and his team realy listen what players have to say (they encourage players to speak their minds), and I can't say same thing about Egosoft. IMO it's one of the most important thing in development. Egosoft behaves as if it did not create the game for the players. They know everything better...
That is one of the reason why they are losing now, and probably (if they don't change their approach) will lost not only "one battle" but whole "war".

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...

You need to log-in to post here.