LOADS OF NEWS!

Home Board Index » X: Rebirth » LOADS OF NEWS!

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Level badge Miltaguey (15)
Posted 10 years ago.

Speaks for itself...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2870/

Comments people?

Firstly look at the spec, it's a massive load on resources. 1GB graphics...

My computer just handles the Recommended, so good luck those will lower spec machines.

You can walk round ships and stations is the other big thing i noticed.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Yeah I just found out too!

15TH OF NOVEMBER

At least I have 2GB graphics, but I hope 8GB ram is enough to play big battles without lag...
You can even crawl in tunnels too! I really hope that isn't the only ship you can fly, though it looks like its gonna be... We'll find out soon enough!

Something awesome though; If you go to 1:45 on this Youtube Video, there is an old X3 Python! They are actually referencing to the older ship designs!

I will be the one to take you down!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

The ram thing is confusing me; since its an x32 app, then it cant access more than 4gb of ram. Okay, if youre running an x64 o/s, the o/s will require 2gb - so at the very most 6gb in total, not 8gb. I guess it does state the requirements could change although.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I can't see it taking 8GB RAM. I would advise watching the 'Scale and Detail' and the 'Controls' video. v interesting

Admetes

Admetes avatar
Level badge Fightguey (6)
Posted 10 years ago.

ok that was loads of news!

but the requirements specs.. oh man that killed the hype for me till I get a better rig..

I hope loads of these new visual things and the fact you can walk in the space stations wont be just for decoration and just copy paste.

and is it just me but the graphics looks a bit too shiny and too colorful?

Umbru

Umbru avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Reread the specs it is a 64 bit game. I just recently upgraded my rig mostly for the processor and Memory so I am very much looking forward to having this to test it with.

bozo64r

bozo64r avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

One question is strong in my mind...

PRICE??? I reckon £40

I want to be able to pre-order as well! :P

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hmmmm it is PC, they are usually cheaper... Could be £30-£35, I hope its cheap, but I don't mind paying more...

Those freighters in the 'Controls' video look incredibly easy to kill, I wonder if it will stay like that?

I will be the one to take you down!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Reread the specs it is a 64 bit game.

Oh yea, I just noticed on the steam page it says it requires an 64bit o/s. hmm.. that is indeed odd, unless something changed that I dont know about.

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I thought that 'These specs are still being determined,' was interesting.
I don't have a 64 bit O/S so I hope they rephrase that!
I had formed the impression from other videos egosoft posted that their 'threading' would use existing multi-core processors better than their previous games.......... doing away with the need for an instant upgrade.
The recommended specs are quite expensive to achieve.

The embedded videos are more informative.

@ Bozo64r If the banner below posts is your machine's specs, and you think it only, 'handles the Recommended,' there will be a lot of X players who have waited this long just to be frustrated.

I am an Alien!
BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

I too am very confused. The game is very clearly a 32bit application that used large memory access coding. So a hard limit of 3.5gig is in place. Why are they asking us for 8gb? Also the game supports windows xp 64bit, but they want us to use a Quad-core, which again does not compute.

Lastly they want a 1gb graphics card, and it has to be one of the newest versions of DX11 cards, but the game is DX9 and was stated by Egosoft previously that the game will be CPU intensive, not GPU intensive...

This all spells out that they have a serious memory leak problem and they are trying to cover up shoddy coding with outrageous minimum specs.

People, I called it before, there will be no "Stable" release of Rebirth in 2013. Prepare for a crapstorm between apologists and realistic gamers on ES forums.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

hmm.. I guess in a 32bit o/s you may not be able to access all of the 4gb in a 32bit app. Im sure in WinXP the program was assigned 2gb, and the system the other 2gb? I know there some switch to change the ratio, to like 3gb/1gb.

in a 64bit o/s this is no longer a problem, since the app can use the full 4gb.

I still think the 8gb recommend is a bit high although, since a 64bit o/s needs 2gb for itself and a 32bit app can only access 4gb. So 6gb should be the max. amount of memory.

Admetes

Admetes avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

I too am very confused. The game is very clearly a 32bit application that used large memory access coding. So a hard limit of 3.5gig is in place. Why are they asking us for 8gb? Also the game supports windows xp 64bit, but they want us to use a Quad-core, which again does not compute.

Lastly they want a 1gb graphics card, and it has to be one of the newest versions of DX11 cards, but the game is DX9 and was stated by Egosoft previously that the game will be CPU intensive, not GPU intensive...

This all spells out that they have a serious memory leak problem and they are trying to cover up shoddy coding with outrageous minimum specs.

People, I called it before, there will be no "Stable" release of Rebirth in 2013. Prepare for a crapstorm between apologists and realistic gamers on ES forums.
- BarrenEarth

This what worries me and well put.

I had this line of thought too today when I was playing with X3AP.
I could not understand some requirements. What worries me most is that in case of a memory leak/bad coding even if you have a good computer you wont benefit from it.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

hmm.. I guess in a 32bit o/s you may not be able to access all of the 4gb in a 32bit app. Im sure in WinXP the program was assigned 2gb, and the system the other 2gb? I know there some switch to change the ratio, to like 3gb/1gb.

in a 64bit o/s this is no longer a problem, since the app can use the full 4gb.

I still think the 8gb recommend is a bit high although, since a 64bit o/s needs 2gb for itself and a 32bit app can only access 4gb. So 6gb should be the max. amount of memory.
- Roguey

But that is the problem. Even though for years they have been stating that it was 32bit/dx9 and that was good enough, now we find out it is really 64bit/dx9

The game is 64bit app written, which means it can use all the memory we can throw at it... my concern is why they felt the need to suddenly rewrite what they already had... hence the massive delay.

Again, memory leak is the most likely issue, and it is probably bad.

BarrenEarth

BarrenEarth avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

[Roguey] Sorry but this video breached egosoft's NDA. The tester will shot shortly. Im sorry to do this, but I hope you understand.

Actual gameplay video... I have to say I am sorely disappointed. Feels like I am watching someone go through a level of the original half-life. Too much going on to just talk to an NPC or do a simple trade.

This is what we have been waiting for?! I will pass, thanks Eek

Admetes

Admetes avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

is it only me or the 3d characters on the stations dont seem to fit inside? Ugly textures, bad poly ?

and of course it took them so long if they had to build tons of interiors.. especially if each of them is different.

And I already find annoying the repeating animation when you sit down and the female co pilot next to you going forward and backwards...

1 2 »

You need to log-in to post here.