[Suggestion] Station/Ship Protection/Rescue BBS

Home Board Index » Roguey's X3 Mod » Suggestions » [Suggestion] Station/Ship Protection/Rescue BBS

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 13 years ago.

So...I was wondering....y'know...reactors blow.....pirates attack folks....someone decides to get rid of a station....and nothing of this really happens...or does it?

The idea here is to use the random event generator, to create ships or stations which are under attack and post it on the BBS. If you help out...well...the rewards could be quite huge given the right trade, fight, race rank and a a bit of luck. It's just that usually...y'know...they pick on those who can't fight for themselves..so all you get is good relations with the race...well and enough credits for a drink at the local bar Big grin

so...how about discussing this?
I am not sure what can/can't be done exactly, but I think this could be fun Big grin

So what I've come up with so far is:
1) Ship in need of tow (reactor damaged..need to get to sector XYZ ASAP, please TOW me there)
2) Ship under attack (those darn pirates!)
3) Station under attack (...those darn.....well...)
4) Let's attack that darn station (you and...well....whomever got time, go and attack that station)

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

hey m8,

well to trigger defend the station as a quest, would be from the BBS. It could be triggered from the random event generator however its not setup to do that. The generator is really meant for random things - like a pirate stealing your cargo.

If this was trigger via a quest (via the BBS), which ship killed would trigger the BBS script. Each trigger could be counted, until zero is reached and the quest is successful. However im sure you could tag the station as well, so if the station gets killed, then the quest would fail as well.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Actually the idea is in the station/ship getting attacked anyway. Doesn't matter if you do intervene or not.

That's why I said the random event generator should be taken for that. Big grin

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Well adding the event into the generator wouldnt be too hard, its when you offer rewards. This is when it needs to be changed into a BBS mission, triggers/counters and chance to fail or complete the quest.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

actually, The generator should just start the event. E.g. putting up a couple ships attacking that station, and set up the BBS message in the whole sector (e.g. high priority).
From that point on, the BBS script takes over. If you accept the ships get tagged and it's like a BBS mission.

This should be the easiest and cleanest way to do it Big grin

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

well there have to be some testing done for that - its a good idea although. The trouble is that ive only added a listener tag inside a BBS quest.

$Station -> add event listener: quest/event=$Object objevent=[Quest.Event.Killed] script='plugin.roguey.bbs.kill.station'

When this object is killed, the tag killed is set to the bbs script. Inside there its filtered and process by a certain piece of code. You could change the script to another, yes. However their might be problem with triggering the completed quest outside the bbs script. This is because you cant say a mission is complete from another script, ie:

set quest state with message: quest=$Object state=[Quest.Finished] msg=$Message

Only works inside a BBS script. I guess you could use global variables for this and then try to call the BBS script directly, although there could be difference in variables and the quest might not even be accepted. It might be possible, but it takes some testing - stuff I havnt done before.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

actually, I got an idea how to do this already.
Don't want to go into details right now...or maybe:
Ok, the script has an input variable, which has 3 possible states.

fisrt var means the script has been initialized.
Second means, the ship's got destroyed. Just gotta check by whom
Thrid is simply, if you exit the sector...well we gotta figure out what to do.

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

sounds very much like a bbs script to me, as you use the following in there:

if $Event == 'init' OR $Event == 'reinit'
else if $Event == 'select'
else if $Event == 'accept'
else if $Event == 'display'
else if $Event == 'check'
else if $Event == 'killed'

You could summon the ships in init or reinit and tag them then. So event killed is triggered when they are killed, you have to be careful to check to see if the player has accepted this mission before issuing quest completed or failed.

You need to log-in to post here.