A new Cockpit

Home Board Index » X Rebirth » Scripts and Modding » A new Cockpit

Elsenor

Elsenor avatar
Level badge Boneguey (9)
Posted 10 years ago.

I am sure that some guy out there can modify the cockpit of an new ship. This would help satisfy some of our fellow players with concerns about the present layout of the skunk. Anyone going to try????

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

well to modify the cockpit you need to be able to open the dat files. After that you need to open a XMF files - which are pretty much unknown file format. The best I could do was to switch ships, and place the player in a Arawn. It didnt work too well, but kind-of.

novacatt

novacatt avatar
Level badge Skillguey (7)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hiya Roguey & Peeps, Wave

Ask & you shall receive... Wink

There's already a cockpit mod available over on the Nexus: http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/25//? (I'm currently using the reduced version, it's the 2nd piccie & it's pretty good, it opens up an even bigger viewing area rather then that tiny slit directly in front of you...)
Basically what this does is remove the visible nose from the cockpit view & moves the hud gauges to the top of the control column or if you prefer removes the control column as well, for an X3:R/X3:TC style cockpit view...

HTH,

Cheers & Thranx

change without Subject to notice.... :p watch this space... (<-- --> this one, not that one.. --> <-- Spit LOL)
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 10 years ago.

Its funny how it took egosoft 7 years to design the cockpit, but yet within a week someone else has done a better job. The official cockpit is way too bulky, and I find just blocks your view mostly.

Tanzaemon

Tanzaemon avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

It may sound weird but I'm sure that with a third person view aka external camera this cockpit would fit in great.
It gives a nice feeling of immersion to look at space through some glass. On a realism side we all know a huge glass window can be a weak spot.
The main problem of this cockpit is that it's not interactive enough.
If it was to be used as an interactive panel like F.S. games I'm sure we would appreciate it a lot more.

Staberind

Staberind avatar
Level badge Tropguey (5)
Posted 10 years ago.

It may sound trite, but I usually imagine the "window" to be just a heavier part of the hull, albeit, embedded with nano oled type things. tied into a bunch of video feeds, (as its a big screen, it can account for the H.U.D overlays, so why have a smaller one on your right???)
It would make more sense for the inhabitable core of the ship to have heavier plating, against various types of radiation, damage from micrometeorites, and general abuse.
most of the ship would, I suppose, be de-pressurised, under the blast hull.
Basically conservation of mass Vs. velocity.

You need to log-in to post here.