Argon Core, Enlightenment, Hideaway [For Deletition/Inclusion in FAQ]

Home Board Index » Roguey's X3 Mod » General » Argon Core, Enlightenment, Hideaway [For Deletition/Inclusion in FAQ]

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 13 years ago.

Ok...I have 3 sectors I cannot acces, and the MOV problem.
Now not having the intro doesn't bother me much.
But I found that I cannot access these sectors. for some reason...well even more.
The game comes with a library for codecs etc. I tried overriding the codecs, which seem to help a little. I can access Argon Core now, and I can have the MOV file around, through I didn't see it yet. The problem is I can't access the trading menus....grrrr

EDIT: I managed to narrow it down a bit. It seems the MOV thing is a codec issue. I can circumvent that. Problem is, if I do the game crashes when opening the freight/trade menu.
BUT I can travel to those sectors (well argon core for sure).
So by the principle of mathematical deduction I conclude that these sectors use some codec that doesn't work correctly for me/by default on linux.
The question is what, and the only thing I can think of (maybe you have more insight) are the billboards. if one of them is using showing a video or something and using the same codec as the 00800 file, then this would result exactly in this behaviour.
Up for a couple test runs?
I'd need to know what those sectors have special, the more info the easier to ID the problem.

Burn rubber, not your soul!
Roguey

Roguey avatar
Level badge Trueguey (22)
Posted 13 years ago.

I just had look in Argon core, there is one billboard that uses the standard egosoft video. It does sounds like its a problem with Linux and video decodes.

In the Argon core there is Goliath as well, although if you can enter the sector without crashing I doubt its that. The bill board is above the trading station - does it work?

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

I can't enter the sector without crashing if I don't change out the video codec. So I'm pretty sure that's it.
Can I get some version with just the billboard removed?
or a start position that doesn't have that one (preferably starting in NovaCats retreat).

That would very easilly show if it's a codec isssue. The "real" problem of course is that I can't circumvent it...

EDIT:
The 00800.dat is encoded in wmv. *Windows Media Video*.
the avcodec the game ships with doesn't support that (on linux anyways)

Even more, could you check what the file your playing is encoded with?
for me all the files in MOV are either vorbis audio or mpeg1/2. Could it be they are wmv for the windows version?

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

which start are you using? normal? yaki?

Do you have any problems with Elysium Of Light? im sure that uses a billboard there - although egosoft added it.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

Ellysium of Light works fine.
check the EDIT I made. Big grin

EDIT: I have more information. I can't see the video. it's just black when using my own ffmpeg. it's a trick with the darn codec...but I have no idea what the trick is.

EDIT 2: managed to get a talk with folks on the gentoo forums about it. The problem is quity frankly that they probably changed the ABI from the old avcodec to the new one (new one I'm using).
So the problem is there. I wrote LGP asking for an explanation or something. But I don't expect to get an answer. For now it'd be good to know if there is a way to remove the billboards from the game (btw. I looked around Myst Of Ellysium, and didn't find a billboard, might be they threw it out...for a special reason). Anyway, the only chance I see is dropping the billboards for linux folks Big grin

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

hmm.. maybe you could edit types/VideoLists and set first variable to zero. That should stop all in-games videos working, although hopefully it wont cause any problems.

I guess that the trouble with other O/S less support.

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

hmm.. maybe you could edit types/VideoLists and set first variable to zero. That should stop all in-games videos working, although hopefully it wont cause any problems.
- Roguey

sadly, no can do. I do not have that file.

I guess that the trouble with other O/S less support.
- Roguey

well they probably didn't think that feature had anything to be used except that one single billboard nobody would miss Big grin
Well....can't do anything without the darn source-code.

Since I don't have a tool to extract and repack those cat/dat files I'll lay off of it for now. Been thinking through, how about I just change it to the billboard add? that should work, and not take much...I hope...

Roguey

Roguey avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

well if its simple as changing that one file, ill email it to you - although your have to test it :P

NetHawk

NetHawk avatar
Posted 13 years ago.

I'd love to test it Big grin
But thinking of it, maybe it's time to put together a Linux-compatibility mini-mod. Were the issues with linux are being addressed? Big grin

You need to log-in to post here.