Wow, I feel betrayed by the Argon.

Home Board Index » X3: Albion Prelude » Wow, I feel betrayed by the Argon.

Taullis

Taullis avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

So I'm playing through on Argon Peacekeeper, and find out that the Argons purposefully blew up the Earth Torus! Now my sense of right and wrong is reeling. From the previous events of the series, this makes no sense as to why the CW would attack the Terrans. Things were just looking up! So I finished the main plot in my play through, more or less just to get out of the military.

Now, I'm in the role of the burnt out veteran flying listlessly through split and Teladi sectors wondering what to do next.

So, I have a few questions:

1) The PHQ, do I have to do the main plot every time I play a new start in order to get it?
2) I kinda like the jilted veteran vibe of my current play through. I don't hate the Argon, but I think they are very much in the wrong. How should I respond?
3) Best ways to repair the Terran Rep? I'm going to finish the plot that ends the war, because I'm mad at the Argon.
4) Can I buy Terran Ships if I fix up my rep? What about the ATF?
5) Maybe I can do a new start, play with the same vibe, but pick one of the ones that doesn't make it impossible to deal with the ATF. Say, Humble Merchant.

(That or I might just flip sides and operate as a Terran supporter from within Commonwealth space, that could make a fun play through, almost like a spy - Even cap an Argon ship now and then....)

Basically, I like the vibe of the game I'm in, but may start again if I can't repair my ATF rep. I don't want it to be easy to repair though, I kinda like the idea that it is going to be hard. Almost like a penance. Please tell me there are ways to repair both Terran & ATF rep.

Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

1) The PHQ, do I have to do the main plot every time I play a new start in order to get it?
- Taullis

Yes in Vanilla there is no other way to get the PHQ other than to play either the Argon or the Terran War plot.

2) I kinda like the jilted veteran vibe of my current play through. I don't hate the Argon, but I think they are very much in the wrong. How should I respond?
- Taullis

You could face off against your former employer and help level the playing field. The Terran need all the help they can get against the united forces of both Argon and Boron after all.

3) Best ways to repair the Terran Rep? I'm going to finish the plot that ends the war, because I'm mad at the Argon.
- Taullis

I mainly resorted to doing kamikaze runs against Argon/Boron fleets entering Terran sectors. If you're a good enough pilot you can easily repair your rep that way. Once your rep is back to the neutral range you can accept missions and will finally be allowed to land on their stations.

4) Can I buy Terran Ships if I fix up my rep? What about the ATF?
- Taullis

Yes regardless of the start you chose you get access to most ships of the Terrans with sufficient rep. However some can only be acquired through boarding ops. This includes among the ATF command flagship Valhalla among others.

5) Maybe I can do a new start, play with the same vibe, but pick one of the ones that doesn't make it impossible to deal with the ATF. Say, Humble Merchant.
- Taullis

Humble merchant is a nice start especially since it gives you two ships right off the start. However it still only allows to play the Argon plot. To play the Terran plot you have to choose one of the two Terran starts.

The ATF rep is directly linked to Terran rep. So any rep you gain towards Terrans you also gain towards the ATF and vice versa.

Basically, I like the vibe of the game I'm in, but may start again if I can't repair my ATF rep. I don't want it to be easy to repair though, I kinda like the idea that it is going to be hard. Almost like a penance. Please tell me there are ways to repair both Terran & ATF rep.
- Taullis

If you want to start again and don't care whether your game is vanilla or not I have a third option for you. I've made a mod that completes the main plot and gives immediate access to PHQ and HUB. However since it's not supposed to be a cheat it does not give you any reward ships nor does it give you the credits you would normally have been given as part of the plots. All plots beyond PHQ and HUB are left unchanged and thus can still be played normally. Meaning the 3.0 plots and the entire Terran plot line since only Argon plots are affected.

Taullis

Taullis avatar
Level badge Rookiguey (4)
Posted 10 years ago.

If you want to start again and don't care whether your game is vanilla or not I have a third option for you. I've made a mod that completes the main plot and gives immediate access to PHQ and HUB. However since it's not supposed to be a cheat it does not give you any reward ships nor does it give you the credits you would normally have been given as part of the plots. All plots beyond PHQ and HUB are left unchanged and thus can still be played normally. Meaning the 3.0 plots and the entire Terran plot line since only Argon plots are affected.
- Hammerit

Hmmm, I might for another play through. A big part of the atmosphere for my current game comes from having served in the Argon Military and being shocked at the revelations

I do like the War of Attrition mod you're working on and will probably give that a try when i'm ready to go "modified."

Hammerit

Hammerit avatar
Level badge Stickguey (8)
Posted 10 years ago.

Hmmm, I might for another play through. A big part of the atmosphere for my current game comes from having served in the Argon Military and being shocked at the revelations.
- Taullis

Yes playing the plots is nice to take in the atmosphere and find out what's actually going on. So if you haven't played the Terran plot yet I can only recommend you try it. Personally I enjoyed the Terran plot much more, because it was more streamlined and felt more like part of a military campaign.

I do like the War of Attrition mod you're working on and will probably give that a try when i'm ready to go "modified."
- "Taullis

Playing the plots to get a feel for the game is nice, but after a few restarts it can get a bit tiring. I wanted the option to start over with a neutral start and still get full access to both PHQ and HUB. That's why I made the before mentioned mod for myself Smile. It has nothing to do with the War of Attrition mod however.

In the vanilla game sadly there is no option to not take part in either the Argon or the Terran plot and still get the PHQ and HUB. So it's impossible to start with a blank slate. That's what the mod is for.

redheart

redheart avatar
Level badge Eagleguey (11)
Posted 10 years ago.

I did the Argon Peacekeeper (the guy) and I dont recall us blowing up anything like that. Maybe they are separate plots?

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Level badge Assoguey (17)
Posted 10 years ago.

He means in the opening cut-scene for any new start, Saya Kho sabotages and blows up the Earth Torus (for unknown reasons Wink) a year before the time frame the game is set in, which start the Terran-Argon War. It's said that she refused to put on a EVA suit to escape and died in the resulting explosions.

I will be the one to take you down!
redheart

redheart avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Well that was the first time I have watched that. Wow...and she was crying after she set the explosion to happen.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Do you blame her? She just committed Genocide on her own people...

There is something in the official background about her realising that relations between the Argon and the Terrans were getting very tense, and it seemed that war was inevitable; so she joined the Argon Secret Service (lol...), and her plus a group of other agents snuck aboard the Torus to blow it up, hoping to strike a massive blow to the Terran Military and the ATF that would leave them reeling, allowing the Argon to catch them on the back foot. Unfortunately (for the Argon) the Terrans recovered very well, which officially started the Argon-Terran War, and then... Well, the rest is history!

redheart

redheart avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

RandomTank where did you read that about her back story? I would love to read some stories about this game. I enjoyed reading the Star Wars books and magazines for Galaxies and TOR when I was playing them. And yes I understand how she would be really upset about what she had done. Even though she felt it was something that needed to happen, I am not sure that I would have been able to do that.

RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

If you want background/expansion to the game's story, there is 4 books based in the X Universe, but unless you read German you will only be able to read the first book, Farnham's Legend, as it is the only one to be officially translated. Most of the background of the games is explained in the X Encyclopedia, a 300 page document written by the same man as Farnham's Legend that you get free with the X Superbox. Fortunately for you, I have a link to it right here.

Beware though, it takes a while to download as it is quite a big document, but it explains literally everything about the X Universe, from how the Terrans discovered Jump Gate technology, to what the Ancients and the Sohnen have to do with the Gate Network, to what exactly happened during the Argon-Terran War. Have a good read!

redheart

redheart avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

Thanks RandomTank!!

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

@Random Tank..............Whatever happened to the Sohnen anyway? Was the Dyson Sphere only in the mod?

I am an Alien!
RandomTank

RandomTank avatar
Posted 10 years ago.

The Sohnen are never supposed to get involved in the affairs of any Races, so it explains why you never see them, but I don't know why this happened in Reunion, exception=null?

AFAIK, the Dyson Sphere has nothing to do with the official X background to the Sohnen, but there again, not much info about them has been given, so it leaves much to your imagination...

AlphanInfidel

AlphanInfidel avatar
Level badge Proguey (12)
Posted 10 years ago.

@RandomTank So that's what they mean by immersion................... ;0)

I am an Alien!

You need to log-in to post here.